Thread: Washington town invaded by rampaging cattle

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Washington town invaded by rampaging cattle

What a stituation.

From the AP Wire:
    http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...orld-headlines

The police are tired. A cattleman is in trouble. Residents are fed up. Who's the man to fix it? The butcher, of course. Police have written more than $2,000 worth of tickets to Hiram Wilburn, 85, about marauding cattle (Scottish Highland) that have escaped his property through a hole in his fence at least 70 times since early December.

The one-ton, shaggy-haired beasts have been blamed for at least three accidents. Residents say the animals eat gardens and lawns -- and are generally creepy and scary to have around.
    Can you say Steak for all the residents as a form of compensation ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008

Update to this article? (And whatever happened to ole Hiram Wilburn?)

*Bump*
    A thread search on roaming cattle brought me to this.
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    What a stituation.

From the AP Wire:
    http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...orld-headlines

Can you say Steak for all the residents as a form of compensation ?
    The link was broken- I found a working one with the same story:
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...type=printable

(This was not the first time ole Hiram Wilburn had gotten into trouble with the law. In June, 2003: Owner of illegal deer to be tried.)

Anybody have an update to JNA's article?

Due to this incident, did Granite Falls, Washington put in stricter cattle ordinances? Did any other muni?

And whatever happened to the old man? I didn't see him in an obituaries search; he must be at least 87 now.

_________

To get an idea of how scary the maruading Scottish Longhorn cattle must have been to the residents, I looked at some pics- sharing a typical one with you:

The natural hair is longer; this one has a haircut.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Generally, this happens only once, and the farmer/rancher fixes his fence ... at least in NY ... because you can get sued if your bovine is on a public road and gets hit by a car. It happened a few years ago in my home town when a local dairy farmer's heifers got loose and paraded around downtown during the middle of the night. It took the police, the farmer, and several volunteers on ATVs several hours to "round up" the heifers, but since nobody, man or bovine, was injured and there was no permanent damage, it just became part of village folklore.

BTW, your picture of the Scots Highlander doesn't do these guys justice. They are huge, a little shorter than most Holsteins (the black and white dairy cows which are about the tallest cows we have in the US), but with a whole lot more bulk because they're beef cattle. Those horns are intimidating, too, being as long as they are, although the cows themselves seem to have pretty decent temperaments. Any bull on the loose should be considered very dangerous.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Linda_D View post
    Generally, this happens only once, and the farmer/rancher fixes his fence ... at least in NY ... because you can get sued if your bovine is on a public road and gets hit by a car.

Montana is a free range state. You hit a cow on the road, you bought it. During roundup season if you are traveling, you best allow extra time in your plans. You never can tell when you might become part of a cattle drive. Or sheep drive, for that matter.

I tend to enjoy them. It is a nice change of pace. I do enjoy watching the cattle dogs work.

I recall one day when I was traveling on a little-traveled byway of Wyoming. I came over the crest of a hill and there was the biggest, wildest looking bull I have ever seen. Smack dam in the middle of the highway. He just stared me down. Refused to give up the road until he was ready. I waited.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Sep 2009

reply to cattle roaming

He was born 5-9-22 and passed away on 5-9-2007, I am his oldest son, also a Hiram and maintaining his farm today and hopin gfor a a better econony to sell to a developer or a gentleman farmer ! The cows got out because a neighbor tree fell on his fence and no-one told him !!

Quote Originally posted by Seana View post
    *Bump*
    A thread search on roaming cattle brought me to this.The link was broken- I found a working one with the same story:
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...type=printable

(This was not the first time ole Hiram Wilburn had gotten into trouble with the law. In June, 2003: Owner of illegal deer to be tried.)

Anybody have an update to JNA's article?

Due to this incident, did Granite Falls, Washington put in stricter cattle ordinances? Did any other muni?

And whatever happened to the old man? I didn't see him in an obituaries search; he must be at least 87 now.

_________

To get an idea of how scary the maruading Scottish Longhorn cattle must have been to the residents, I looked at some pics- sharing a typical one with you:

The natural hair is longer; this one has a haircut.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by mowerhobbyist View post
    He was born 5-9-22 and passed away on 5-9-2007, I am his oldest son, also a Hiram and maintaining his farm today and hopin gfor a a better econony to sell to a developer or a gentleman farmer ! The cows got out because a neighbor tree fell on his fence and no-one told him !!
    My condolences on the passing of your father.

Thank you for taking the time to update us on this news. I wish you much luck in maintaining the farm and in facilitating its sale.

BTW, welcome to Cyburbia. Please feel free to join our community. It would be very interesting and enjoyable to read more posts of yours.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 28 Jun 2009, 7:47 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 27 Feb 2008, 1:58 AM
  3. What if the US never invaded Iraq???
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 11 Jun 2007, 12:10 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 22 Jul 2005, 11:23 AM