Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Denver, Colorado: Downtown (full of street life, full of bandwidth)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Denver, Colorado: Downtown (full of street life, full of bandwidth)

The following photos were taken during CNU 17 this June. I really miss Denver. Moving from there was probably one of the biggest mistakes of my life.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Hey, great pictures! I am going to a scenic byway conference there later this month - any thoughts on sights and restaurants? I get in early on a Friday so I have that evening and then some time on Sunday afternoon and then again on a Tuesday afternoon and evening. I am traveling solo so I have to consider safety...thanks for any help!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    I really miss Denver. Moving from there was probably one of the biggest mistakes of my life.
    I feel your pain because I sometimes question myself about that too.
    Lived in Colorafo '82-'92, MURP from UCD.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004

yeah!

Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    I feel your pain because I sometimes question myself about that too.
    Lived in Colorafo '82-'92, MURP from UCD.
    Me three.....I really miss Denver sometimes.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Gets cold and snows there. Burrrr...nope, not for me.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    What's the big deal? It looks like any other big city. The Walgreens looks like all the ones in New Orleans or Orlando.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    What's the big deal? It looks like any other big city. The Walgreens looks like all the ones in New Orleans or Orlando.
    There are no other cities like this anywhere in the interior west.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Nice pictures. Much more sterile than I imagined it. Reminds me of Center City Charlotte.

Looks like "What Not to Wear" needs to assemble a Denver strike team. I don't think I have seen a worse-dressed city. Where the yuppies at?
    Last edited by jmello; 05 Aug 2009 at 11:50 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    A few years ago, a friend and I took a trip to Denver with our then-girlfriends, now his wife and my fiancée. We just randomly stopped in to grab a drink and bite to eat at this place, without any knowledge of we later found were famously known (at least locally) as "Earl's Girls." I know they've got locations in several other places (mostly in Canada), and I'm not sure if it was just this location or if it's something that all locations are known for, but wow, I just remember having very bruised shins from being constantly kicked under the table for looking the wrong way Every employee was an attractive early 20's female in a tight black cocktail dress. Don't remember much about the food...
    Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but three lefts do.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    I actually like Orlando's downtown better, at least it has some density to it.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I visited Denver for the first time in June of this year, and found the city to be an interesting hybrid of Midwestern and Western features. Downtown, with its big plazas, honey-locust trees, and skyscrapers interspersed with turn-of-the-century 8-10 story midrise office/retail buildings reminds me of Minneapolis, Milwaukee, or a healthier St. Louis. Speer Boulevard recalls Ward Parkway near Country Club Plaza in Kansas City, and Cherry Creek reminds me of Birmingham, MI or Bethesda, MD. On the other hand, Colfax Avenue, with its neon signs, "taxpayer" retail strips, and 1960s-vintage three-story apartment buildings, is a classic Western boulevard that reminds me of Speedway in Tucson, AZ, Wilshire in Los Angeles, or Sandy in Portland, OR. The newer suburbs, such as Green Valley Ranch and Parker, show more Western elements (stucco, deep rather than wide lots, more than 2 stories, "Tuscan" details) than Midwestern ones (siding, wide lots, single/1.5 story homes, "Prairie" details), while closer-in neighborhoods like Park Hill and Edgewater have a mix of Craftsman bungalows and single-story clapboard ranch houses like much of South Minneapolis.

Boulder, just 30 miles north, feels more unequivocally Western. This could be due to its being more surrounded by mountains and having hillier topography in town. (Denver is pretty damned flat.) In Denver, the mountains are visible from downtown on sunny days, but hidden on cloudy days.

To add to the city's identity crisis, this is one of the only places I've ever seen both Hellmann's and Best Foods mayonnaise.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Many of these pictures remind me of downtown Minneapolis, especially the Nicollet Mall area. Nice amount of street life. Denver is a city I have yet to visit.

Registered
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Funniest quote ever on here! Orlando? Density?

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ha ha ha.....

You make me chuckle.....thanks
    Skilled Adoxographer

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by urbansky View post
    Funniest quote ever on here! Orlando? Density?
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    You make me chuckle.....thanks
    Agree w/ urbansky & The One.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by drucee View post
    On the other hand, Colfax Avenue, with its neon signs, "taxpayer" retail strips, and 1960s-vintage three-story apartment buildings, is a classic Western boulevard that reminds me of Speedway in Tucson, AZ, Wilshire in Los Angeles, or Sandy in Portland, OR.
    That's an interesting observation. When I lived there, I thought the same thing; Colfax seemed like it was a transplanted seedy but vibrant strip from Los Angeles. Unlike Midwestern cities, where it can feel like the glory days of a commercial strip were in the 1920s, to me Colfax feels like it peaked in the 1960s. Seemed like Denver was influenced by Midwestern trends in urban design and architecture before WWII, and Californian trends afterward. There's even some 1950s-era subdivisions comprising almost entirely of Eichler-style modernist houses.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2005
    While visiting in Septemember (2008), I was nearly assualted across from the Walgreens by some wacked out dude and robbed of my camera on the next block (16th and California). All in the same walk. Other than that, it was fun (Seriously) and Denver is pretty easy to get around. The majority of the city is layed out in a grid (as we all know) which makes it easy to get from A to B.

Bill

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 07 May 2012, 5:16 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 03 Aug 2009, 12:46 PM
  3. Full Moon
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 17 Mar 2003, 5:53 PM
  4. Is there a full moon soon?