Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: SFU masters

SFU masters

Hi all,

Is anyone taking or took the CIP recognized MA from SFU? It seems weird that the recognized MA is in the school of resource management while the city program is not...

I'm working as a planning tech in the lower mainland and want to get my masters, but I need to keep working so SCARP is no good as they require full time....

Anyone have anything to say good/bad/ugly about this program?

Thanks!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    Hi newplanner 19,

I know of people who completed the MREM (planning) program at SFU, the MA in Geography program, and some who are currently in the MURB program (city program) at the moment. Yes, the MREM is an accredited program with CIP, the only one at SFU. The course selection for planning courses is very slim in the MREM program, at least on the human side. It is much more oriented towards physical and environmental planning. I would actually go for the MA or MURB at SFU as opposed to the MREM if you have to keep working while in school.

Do you think it's a big deal that it's not CIP/PIBC recognized?

I've applied for provisionary membership already and am keeping a log book here at work. I suppose by the time I've completed my masters I'll have 2-4 years of work experience so a 'related' masters will work just as well...?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    I am going into Ryerson's Master of Planning program in September and it is not accredited while I had the oppourtunity to go to an accredited Master of Planning program is a less favourable city; I chose Ryerson and Toronto.

The previous public sector job that I worked at had people with masters in geography and planning and they are equally suited to advance in the workplace. Of course, if push comes to shove, the one with the planning degree will have the advantage in the promotion, gig, etc.

All you need to do is to get four years of work experience in the field to supplement a degree that is not accredited. Go to a program that fits with your employment and your educational objectives.

Registered
    Aug 2009
    Hi newplanner19,

Sorry that I cannot answer your question, but I do have a question for you. Just wondering what undergrad schooling you have. I have enrolled in Applied Urban and Rural Planning program at Langara College in Vancouver and and planning on getting into the planning field via a route similar to yours (ie gaining a planning tech job to pay bills and for experience, SFU Masters in Urban Studies and 4 years experience for CIP membership). I have an undergrad degree in poli sci and a minor in geography (3.1 GPA) and am planning on taking enough technical courses at Langara to land a job as a planning tech and gain some experience in the planning field before committing to more study. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally posted by shadowp View post
    Hi newplanner19,

Sorry that I cannot answer your question, but I do have a question for you. Just wondering what undergrad schooling you have. I have enrolled in Applied Urban and Rural Planning program at Langara College in Vancouver and and planning on getting into the planning field via a route similar to yours (ie gaining a planning tech job to pay bills and for experience, SFU Masters in Urban Studies and 4 years experience for CIP membership). I have an undergrad degree in poli sci and a minor in geography (3.1 GPA) and am planning on taking enough technical courses at Langara to land a job as a planning tech and gain some experience in the planning field before committing to more study. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have a BA in History and I completed the same program you're entering. It was quite good, very practical and definetly helped me land my current job. I would recommend it.

As to my topic, what do people know about the Masters of Urban Studies at the downtown campus? It's not accredited, but as has been pointed out, work experience plus related degree is the same thing....

Anyone doing the M Urb at waterfront campus? If so, how is it?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. UK vs.US for Masters
    Student Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 30 Aug 2013, 4:02 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 27 Feb 2013, 11:54 AM
  3. PhD v. Masters
    Student Commons
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 27 Oct 2008, 2:10 PM