Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Google Chrome

Registered
    Jun 2007

Google Chrome

Does anyone have any experiences, positive or negative, with Google's web browser, Chrome?

(The only reason this isn't in the IT forum is because it does not really pertain to planning)

Registered
    Mar 2007
    When it first came out, I downloaded it and didn't much care for it but about a month ago I started using it again at work because I am unable to download Firefox (my browser of choice) and Internet Explorer seems to get slowed down entirely too easily on my computer.

My favorite part about Chrome is that when one of the pages you are viewing freezes up for whatever reason, you can close that single tab and not lose any of the other tabs that you were working in which is usually not the case in IE or Firefox.

I keep waiting for Google to release a version of Chrome that will work on the Mac OS/X so I can use it at home and really see how well it works.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Does anyone have any experiences, positive or negative, with Google's web browser, Chrome?
    I use Chrome at home a little bit. I find its fast than Explorer or Firefox when using Google apps such as Gmail or Reader.

I haven't fiddled with it much beyond that yet.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I have a 3 year old laptop at home (which is really slow!) and I downloaded Google Chrome. It works much faster as an internet browser than IE and takes up less RAM than Firefox in use. I really like that when a page freezes, shutting it down is much faster than other browsers. I find Chrome to be very user friendly and easy to set up, in fact, it downloaded all my bookmarks from IE.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    At home on my Wintel box, I've got to have all the major browsers on hand for testing; Firefox 3.5 (my default go-to browser, on both the PC and Mac) and 3.6a, Internet Explorer 8, Opera 9.5 and 10, Safari 4, and Chromium (see below).

Chrome uses the same rendering engine (Webkit) as Safari and Konqueror. It's considered to be the fastest of the major rendering engines, although I find Opera tends to be just a bit faster. Even with tweaks to the rendering engine (Gecko) for Firefox 3.5, I still think it's a bit slower than Webkit-based browsers.

The good:

* It's simple.
    * It's fast.
    * It's stable. If a script running in a tab is slow or acts wonky, it won't bring down the entire browser.

The bad

* No plugins.
    * Can't choose where it will install; it doesn't respect standard file and folder locations for Windows program installation, and scatters files around your PC much more than a typical Windows program. (Instead of Chrome, I use Chromium, which installs much like a portable application; uncompress and move it into the desired folder, and overwrite for updates.)
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Chrome uses the same rendering engine (Webkit) as Safari and Konqueror. It's considered to be the fastest of the major rendering engines, although I find Opera tends to be just a bit faster...
    I was going to mention Opera but didn't... I agree that Opera seems a bit faster. I downloaded it on a whim for my laptop (an old Mac Powerbook G4) a couple of weeks ago and really like it so far.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I use it as my primary browser now for the reasons that Dan mentioned (it's fast and stable), but I typically also have Firefox open for specific sites that need plug-ins.
    Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but three lefts do.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    At home, I use Chrome exclusively. I'm prohibited from downloading anything at work...but I just might try.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    We recently switched to Chrome because Firefox made some upgrade that introduced a bunch of annoying glitches. We got fed up with it and moved on. So far, the only thing annoying about Chrome is the order in which it opens new tabs. It's just not intuitive for me. Firefox opened them on the very end, no matter which tab it opened from. Chrome opens it right next to whatever tab it is opening from, thereby routinely changing the order of things. This is a really minor nuisance compared to the crazymaking stuff Firefox recently began doing. So far, I'm happy.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Malware error on Chrome Browser.
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 07 Jun 2013, 6:35 PM
  2. Google Help?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 26 Oct 2010, 9:09 PM
  3. Google Ron Paul !!!!
    Friday Afternoon Club