Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do to get into the Christmas Spirit?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

What do you do to get into the Christmas Spirit?

Like the title suggests, the Chirstmas season is upon us. The past couple of years, I have been servely lacking in Holiday spirit, and this year it has finally come to the point where I will do ANYTHING to get back into it.
    I always thought that when I have kids and be able to share in their excitement, that the holiday spirit would return. Well, so far we haven't any children, but my wife and I are looking to get into the season big time this year.

We decided to go into the forest and cut our own Christmas tree through the US Forest Service.

We got the decor out yesterday and plan on hanging exterior lights in a tasteful manner this weekend.

This year, I will finally buy more Christmas music and play it more often.

We're also hosting some family for the holiday at our house. I am planning a BIG dinner for everyone and maybe some activities for all to share.

That is my start, but what do you all do for the Holidays in order to get into the spirit?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    the Christmas cards (both incoming and outgoing), seeing Santa arrive at the Village Green, Advent celebrations at Church

Registered
    Aug 2005
    i get into the Spirit when the decorations come out and the tree goes up. but that doesn't happen until after the 13th (me mum's b-day).

Mele Kalikimaka!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I get into the spirit by getting into the spirits.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I will be in denial to the end but with our "TOFB Holiday Show Tour" kicking off Friday, it will be unavoidable.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Listen to Bing of course!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    speaking of which, White Christmas has begun its annual showing on cable tv.

the tv and movie specials help get me into the holiday mood as well.

who can be grumpy when Rudolph is on tv?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    My mom was the big holiday person in my family and since she passed in 2003 it hasn't been the same. I've never really been to big into holidays anyways but I do somewhat because of the kiddo but she's to the point of just give me cash or a gift card and we will go shopping the day after xmas.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    When Santa appears on my TV riding a Norelco electric shaver down a snowy slope I know it is Christmas. Until then we put up the tree and my wife and son put up the Nativity. The six-month-old cat has been busying himself knocking ornaments off the tree and getting tangled in the Xmas lights.

I am feeling Grinchy.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    I get into the spirit by getting into the spirits.
    This item is being added to my list as well. Time for more whiskey.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    This item is being added to my list as well. Time for more whiskey.
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    A bottle of Jack Daniels and White Christmas will get anyone into the Christmas spirit.

My level of holiday cheer has gone come up considerably since the arrival of my daughters. Before that, I hardly had any.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Those late-season NFL games with the Norelco-Santa and those various Anheiser-Busch ads (ie, the A-B 'Christmas Card' and their Clydesdales playing football spots) puts me into the mood, as do those absolutely timeless 1960s TV specials (ie, A Charlie Brown Christmas and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer).

Mike

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I've always loved the holidays, but it really is true that you experience them totally differently with small children - Jack will be 4 this christmas, and for the first time, really understands what's going on. We've been able to talk about making cookies, and talked about the christmas tree. he's been helping with teh christmas card assembly. and we're picking out an animal to buy and send to a family through Heifer International - www.heifer.org

the twins are still kind of young (2) to anticipate christmas, but i know that they'll really enjoy it once we get into the swing.

but even aside from the kids - things that have made me feel christmassy already:
    - walking around our neighborhood to check out everyone's lights they put up this weekend.
    - organizing an "Adopt-a-family" for my mom's group for the holidays
    - planning our office's holiday party
    - christmas music
    - starting christmas cards - which is my all time favorite thing about christmas.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Well, as I've noted elsewhere, I'm not big on the holidays, but I have to say that putting up the Christmas tree, with all the ornaments that belonged to my husband's family, helps me get into the spirit (along with keeping the wine fridge well stocked ).

Hey, does anyone go caroling anymore? I just had a memory flash of when I was in high school and I spent a few days out of town with a friend whose family went caroling every year. The community was somewhere outside Ithaca. I joined my friend as she went caroling with her church group. I didn't know all the words to the songs (especially the religious-themed ones) but it was fun anyway!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    My level of holiday cheer has gone come up considerably since the arrival of my daughters. Before that, I hardly had any.
    I'll bet a lot of folks fall into this category. Kiddo makes it a joy all over again - seeing his delight over the shiny ornaments and his reverent respect for Jolly Old St. Nick.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    Hey, does anyone go caroling anymore? I just had a memory flash of when I was in high school and I spent a few days out of town with a friend whose family went caroling every year. The community was somewhere outside Ithaca. I joined my friend as she went caroling with her church group. I didn't know all the words to the songs (especially the religious-themed ones) but it was fun anyway!
    I did this one year when I was really young with my Grandparents in Memphis. Of course, we only went around to sing to parishioners of their church that couldn't get out, but I remember it was a good time (with lots of hot chocolate and treats to be had!)

-Peart

Registered
    Mar 2004

Try this....

You could go to any holiday related play or similar theater (tre) type of event (ballet, symphony...). We used to visit Larimer Square in Denver for the roasted chestnuts and ice skating....do they still do that?

You could go sit on Santa's lap and ask for a new air rifle...he he he....

Do your liquor stores and gas stations and drive through's have individual sized bottles of Everclear like here in Arizona NOW THAT's A DRINK

You could go to that gigantor holiday event at the Den. Convention Center? You know, the arts and crafts one....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Ordering up a bevy of old crooners signing Christmas songs on Pandora.com has helped today.

-Peart

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I'll get into the spirit roughly December 20th when I begin my Christmas shopping.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    We watched Elf last night on TNT

The mass of catalogs have started coming to the house (how did we get on som many mailing lists?)

Watching the neighbors take down their Thanksgiving disply and start putting up there Christmas stuff (They decorate for everything).

Mrs. P deciding on a Christmas dress for Wee P.

It will really start next weekend when I bring the decorations down from the attic.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I have had trouble getting into the spirit for a few years now. We got out the tree yesterday. I will probably spend the next week getting things out. I tried some music and I have bought some stuff. I thought we were going to be really comfortable in purchasing this year until we got the quote for some basement plumbing that should help with the sewer backup. That is going to run about $3500 in cash right before Christmas.
    I think that has dampened my spirits.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Elf has been watched. The tree is up and the fireplace is decked out. I think it just needs to stay before 70 degrees outside or I'm going to have to drink plenty of spiked egg nog to have that woozy Christmas feeling.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    This year, I've been a little slow to get into the holiday spirit. I blame Thanksgiving falling early this year.

But, I'm sure I'll get into it soon enough, particularly once finals are over.

Some of my favorite ways to get into the spirit include: listening to Christmas music, hanging ornaments, watching Christmas movies, driving around and looking at other people's Christmas lights, reading Christmas books, going Christmas shopping, and eating Christmas cookies and drinking hot chocolate.

And of course, anytime it snows, that always puts me in the Chritmas spirit.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    i get into the Spirit when the decorations come out and the tree goes up. but that doesn't happen until after the 13th (me mum's b-day)....
    On Dec 11 I'll start wearing the rotation of holiday sweaters and earrings.

My Red Hat group is heading to a local tree display on 12/1, and I'm calling a Civil War holiday ball that evening.

First container of eggnog arrived more than a week ago; got a half gallon successor. (This is eggnog-flavored lowfat milk, but it's still good.)

The first vendor gift baskets should start arriving any day now. And last night I picked up some exterior decorations to adorn my first house. (Snowflakes-on-a-stick. Will leave them up until at least Candlemas, Feb 2.)

Organizing (and playing) Tuba Christmas always helps. In September I dug out my collection of low brass-themed ornaments and photographed them.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    When ZG decorates the Christmas tree.

I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The 'ol ANZAC spirit
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 25 Apr 2013, 9:55 AM
  2. Kindred Spirit Animals
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 07 Jun 2011, 2:42 PM
  3. Replies: 15