Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Healthy Lifestyle Thread

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    Truvia is the brand I've seen on the regular grocery store shelves. Basically it uses the best part of the stevia leaf as it's primary ingredient.
    Yes that's the brand name I've seen, as well.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Jul 2003
    This was just posted to a list I belong to:

Beetroot juice 'boosts stamina'
    Drinking beetroot juice boosts stamina and could help people exercise for up to 16% longer, a UK study suggests.

A University of Exeter team found nitrate contained in the vegetable leads to a reduction in oxygen uptake - making exercise less tiring.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    I wonder if its the sugar or something else. My wife and I switched to "organic" sugar at one point but then found out that (at least in Canada), ALL sugar is actually refined (white) sugar, then re-processed back in other types of sugar. So we went back to buying the 2 kg bags of cheap white sugar and just use it sparingly.
    I think a better answer than my previous one is that "it's both" -- it's the sugar and other things. If people interpret my remarks about organic turbinado sugar to mean that all they have to do is switch to this sugar and can otherwise leave all other factors the same and, voila, their blood sugar issues will disappear -- no, I have no reason to believe that would be true. That certainly isn't how I did it. But if you are suggesting that the type of sugar makes zero difference and the only reason I am doing better is "something else", no I can't agree with that either. The type of sugar has always mattered. I began trying to treat my severe hypoglycemia in my teens by making dietary changes and have long read labels. I have long avoided corn syrup. Liquid sugar is the absolute worst and was kind of like mainlining a drug in my teens when my blood sugar was at its worst. Etc.

Also: I lived in Europe and I still have discussions about diet with people in foreign countries. So I am very well aware that things vary from country to country. I've also lived in several different states in the U.S. Availability of things and laws about food vary from state to state within the U.S. as well.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Just an FYI/thanks to kms. ( http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...ees#post501437)

I did pick up a Burt's Bees product. It is better for me than Carmex.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone View post
    Just an FYI/thanks to kms. ( http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...ees#post501437)

I did pick up a Burt's Bees product. It is better for me than Carmex.
    You're welcome. I'm glad it works for you. DON'T leave the lip stick in a hot, or warm, car. It will melt.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    You're welcome. I'm glad it works for you. DON'T leave the lip stick in a hot, or warm, car. It will melt.
    lol. I'm not using their lipstick. It's their hand salve. And I don't own a car. I keep two at home and one in my desk at work. I have noticed that it's kind of solid in the tub and then readily melts on warm skin, so I can imagine the heat in a locked car would really do a number on it.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. How can we eat healthy?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 18 Oct 2011, 4:32 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 17 May 2011, 2:02 PM
  3. No healthy work environment
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3