Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: KU MUP?

Registered
    Oct 2009

KU MUP?

Hey everyone, I am graduating next month (March) with a BS in Design & Technical Graphics from the Art Institute of Houston, but my passion has always been transportation planning and design, particularly rails. This particular program (which I am the first ever graduate of) was very heavy on concept design and CAD/3D modeling computer programs. Initially my idea was to just go to work for a civil engineering firm as tech support and eventually work my way up to something more in line with what my interests are, but I've been offered a job as an engineering tech at a firm in the Kansas City, KS area and I got to thinking...I was looking into the KU MUP program and was wondering if anyone had any input about the program there?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2005
    Congrats on your impending graduation and your job offer. If you will already be living in the area, the KU MUP program would be fine for you. I did not go there, but I work in transportation in the area, and half of my department went through that program, with more alum in other departments at my employer. (I didn't go there because I grew up here and did my undergrad at a local university, so I wanted to go to another area for grad school - where I promptly wrote about half of my papers on Kansas City issues.) I probably would have gotten a more applied education at KU, which is, imo, what you would want for getting a job in transportation planning. Ton of alums in the area. Having a job right now is the best thing. You could always check if your employer has a tuition reimbursement program that would apply to that degree and go to school part time to start.
    Last edited by flaneuse; 20 Feb 2011 at 6:37 AM.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    flaneuse, thanks for the congrats and your input, it is greatly appreciated! And yes, my plan is to wait at least a little bit before going back to school, mostly in hopes of working for someone who has a tuition reimbursement program. Also means I need to start studying for (and sign up for) the GRE. Great to know that the KU program is a quality one though!

+ Reply to thread