Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Certificate in public health?

Registered
    Aug 2005

Certificate in public health?

I have my MURP and have always been interested in an Masters of Public Health. One of the state universities offers a certificate in Public Health which can be obtained via online classes.

What could I do with a MURP and a certificate in public health?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Well, I was just talking to a friend about her work in urban agriculture and health issues. In fact, the current issue of Planning magazine has some good articles on planning, food and health.

Related to this is obesity research. I remember a few years ago almost going after grant money for studying the urban form and its effect on health. I'm sure that that sort of research is still going on.

Also, issues with pollution, contamination, brownfields, etc. and health are always being researched, especially as they pertain to urban areas and poverty.

In short, there are a lot of public health issues that intersect with planning.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    My mom is an LCSW and has a doctoral work in public health, much of which was scraped earlier this decade due to conflicts with her advisor (she focused on geriatrics and insurance). She was recently appointed to the city public health committee and is working with the other appointed officials in dealing with the upcoming swine flu epidemic.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

There is a very large and growing group of people working on these very inter-related topics. Try going to activelivingresearch.org for more information. Or check out Urban Sprawl and Public Health: Designing, Planning, and Building for Healthy Communities by Howard Frumkin, Lawrence Frank, and Richard Joseph Jackson. Its a big field.

Full disclosure: I have degrees in planning and public health
    Last edited by Gotta Speakup; 10 Aug 2009 at 6:28 PM.

Registered
    Dec 2009

Planning & Health

I agree with "Gotta" - this is an emerging field, with lots of opportunities. The books he cites give an indication of the issues. APA has developed a partnership w/ the National Assn City and County Health Officials to develop policies and programs on the issue - I think it was Frumkin (or Sallis, San Diego State U.) that have developed a recommended curriculum that mixes the two fields.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Public health
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 30 Jun 2013, 12:16 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 17 Dec 2009, 3:39 PM
  3. Public health and planning
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 10 Oct 2008, 6:56 PM