Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Anybody out there with a MS/MA in public policy?

Registered
    Feb 2007

Anybody out there with a MS/MA in public policy?

Hey all,
    I was wondering if anybody out there has an MA/MS in Public Policy or similar degree? I have been working as a planner for a private sector design firm for the last 6 years. I more than likely will be going back to school next year and i am thinking about obtaining an MA/MS in public policy rather than getting my master's degree in planning.

I already have a BS in city and regional planning with a minor economics from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. I had a 3.4 GPA when i graduated, with a 3.8 in my major classes.

If you have a master's in public policy has this come to your advantage to get higher up positions in the planning profession such as Planning Director? Would this master's degree open up the door to become a City Manager one day? Just curious what, if any additional doors might be open. Plus, what are my chances of getting into the following schools and what type of GRE score do I need in addition to my school and work background?
    • UCLA
    • USC
    • Cal State Northridge

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Nov 2007

it would probably help

Hi long time lurker but decided to post. It would probably be safe to say that these days to become a manager/director you would need that MA on your belt. Im currently an intern for one of the Ports in So.Cal and I can gaurantee you that pretty much anyone at a Director/Assistant Director/Comissioner level has a graduate level degree. Given your vast amounts of experience, I can't say for sure how much you'll learn from the program but it will most definately help you in the prestige factor.

As for schools, I'd say your GPA is solid. I had a 3.4 GPA from UCLA from an unrelated major. I'd say shoot for a 1300 on the GRE's if possible. That's pretty much what I scored and got into USC (although I chose to go to UCI). And thats without the planning or much policy experience. I'd say you're in a great position in terms of going back to school since you have alot of work experience and an undergrad degree from planning.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Public policy = urban design job?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 20 Aug 2007, 7:22 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 23 Oct 2006, 11:40 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 13 Jun 2005, 2:10 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 08 Aug 2001, 4:56 PM