Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Still have time to party on the weekends?

Registered
    Jun 2009

Still have time to party on the weekends?

Do urban planning graduate school students still have the time to party on the weekends?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    There's always time to party bro

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Trojan_Man View post
    Do urban planning graduate school students still have the time to party on the weekends?
    Dude there was a party in my pants.. err time to party every weekend/ or after major projects.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    You'll have time to party, but the question is SHOULD you be partying?

I really don't like being the debbie downer but you are going to be facing stiff competition for jobs after school and I don't think it's going to change that much in the next 2-3 years. You should be spending time putting together a portfolio and working in your free time, especially internships and networking. Too many students enroll in planning progams, work hard on projects, and party on the weekends when they should be using that time constructively and it's only going to get worse once you are out in the real world.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

You are being WAY too much the debby downer.
    Sure, you should party, life is pointless and not worth working if all you do it for is just to pay bills.

Intern in the summer.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by surfer1280 View post
    You are being WAY too much the debby downer.
    Sure, you should party, life is pointless and not worth working if all you do it for is just to pay bills.

Intern in the summer.
    I will rephrase. I agree, there is nothing wrong with socializing and having a good time when in school. We are human, and life is not all about work, work, work. However, this partying really needs to be in moderation during school and students need to show good judgement (the same goes for internships and professional jobs). Think of weekends as the tools to get caught on projects, get ahead in other areas, preparing resumes/applications/portfolios for internships, etc.

Surfer, I find your response on this thread very startling considering you expect the planning profession to make an exception for you:

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38457

On one hand, you say you have a mild case of Asperger's Syndrome and that you want the profession to bend the rules to meet your needs, and now you are saying you are entitled to partying and should intern ONLY in the summer? Now I really have doubts about your seriousness as a would-be planner.

Family Guy

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Yes, there's time to party, and you better take full advantage. Once you are out in the field, you'll find that work is more or less just endless decades of BS and politics, so you damn well better live it up in school. Besides, you'll be helping to hone the social skills that you'll need to survive in the planning jungle and keep the powers-that-be and the public happy. You're not training to become a monk for god's sake.

And Nrschmid, IMO, a portfolio isn't terribly important for jack-of-all-trades public sector planner types. Designers, yes, but otherwise, no. I think good internships matter a LOT more.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Ok Ok.. I will do a serious post here. I will give you the advice my father gave me since high school, and I think it worked pleasantly well through college:

Get your $hit done sunday through thursday. Come Friday afternoon evening, commit to yourself time to do things you want to accomplish, whether it be socializing, a night on the town, a movie, hanging with friends, etc. Sleep in, run errands on saturday, and commit another evening to do what you want to do. Sleep in sunday and get back to the grind.

Yes i did weekend work on occasion, but i made a habit of just getting some "me" time on friday and sat. Yea, i did the occasional nights out on weekdays, but school always made it a priority. During the weekday grind, make time to update a portfolio after a major project is done, look a weekly postings for possible internships not just during the summer, but as they come up, attend networking events at local apa chapters once a month, etc. Muni planners may sometimes be jack of all trades, but let's face it, when you have no experience, a flimsy resume and a cover letter just doesn't cut it. You need some wow factor.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by MacheteJames View post

And Nrschmid, IMO, a portfolio isn't terribly important for jack-of-all-trades public sector planner types. Designers, yes, but otherwise, no. I think good internships matter a LOT more.
    I partly agree. I have worked in both the public and private sectors, and the portfolio was my key to an interview. I think I have a strong resume and cover letter, but I have never earned an interview without a portfolio backing my arguments. Portfolios are not all about design either. I have a mixture of writing samples, analysis, graphics, construction documents, mapmaking, powerpoints, etc. I have also reviewed several students' portfolios that are nothing but writing samples.

I think portfolios matter even more when you only have an undergrad planning degree and are competing for internships and full-time jobs against students and planners with a graduate degree (Raf would agree with me on this). If you are an undergrad or graduate student and you want to stay in the same city, metro area, or state, then sure, a portfolio probably won't break you for some planner positions. However, if you're like me and want to relocate to another part of the country where you don't have any network connections, I think you need a wow factor to grab people's attention for any job, public or private.

More and more planners are using social and professional networking sites for their careers (linkedin, zoominfo, virtualcv, twitter, and facebook to some extent). As a hobby, I have studied digital portfolios for the past 6 years. In the past year alone, hundreds of planners are setitng up profiles and online portfolios, and this is not just design work. After this recession is over, I think the Web 2.0 will become a new benchmark for planners of all types to market their work.
    Last edited by nrschmid; 17 Aug 2009 at 11:38 AM.

Family Guy

Registered
    Jul 2007
    We already had a thread about this!

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33598

Grad school is much harder than undergrad and more intensive, some people can party alot and still do as well, most cannot. Between 12 hours of classes and a 20-a-week assistantship I didn't have alot of time to go out, but I finished a 52 credit hour program in 2 years, thesis done with a great job waiting for me a year ago. It also depends on your program and when all your deadlines are for large projects. My professors all liked to have papers due in the same week at the end of the semester, so there were many times when I could not go out on the weekends, especially while working on my thesis. In fact, Friday nights were often devoted to working on projects since I could stay up late without consequences on Saturday.

Urban Planning is a professional degree and in my experience the students I went to school with that treated it as so were more likely to come out with a job, graduated on time, and had the better internships. Best of Luck!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

I've found grad school to be easier than undergrad.
    I have less classes and thus less work.

My grad degree is in Geography.

Now a better question...how does my experience in grad school compare to the real world?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Trojan_Man View post
    Confucius Say
    Man who work hard and partake in festivity have good fortune.

Don't know if that means "yes" or "no"......

Quote Originally posted by surfer1280 View post
    I've found grad school to be easier than undergrad.
    I have less classes and thus less work.

My grad degree is in Geography.

Now a better question...how does my experience in grad school compare to the real world?
    Less classes?

Registered
    May 2005
    Work hard, play hard. But make sure you work hard first. The ramifications of NOT doing so will bite you in the end. This is all supposed to be leading toward a job and a future, afterall. If you focus too much on the immediate gratification, you'll lose those opportunities and regret it for the decades that you must live with your decisions. But, life isn't getting any shorter, so you should make sure you have time and activities to enjoy it now (and, personally, I got a lot of pleasure out of my planning education as well). But you also have to know when to get serious. Planning, like school, is often very deadline driven. When the work has to get done, you have to be committed to it, even if it means staying in on Friday to work with your classmates on a project.

Someone once said to me that in America, if you look like you're having fun, the perception is that you are not working hard. But, it is actually possible to do both. Though it does take some work. My point is that you should not perceive work/school and play as entirely separate things. No, drinking on the job is not recommended, but having no fun isn't either (how many negatives aren't in that non-sentence?)
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jun 2005
    It's certainly possible to find a balance between good times and getting your work done. And you better make sure to find time to have fun, because once you get into the trenches and are stuck at four hour planning board meetings during your evenings, you'll damn well wish you had.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Uh Oh!

Quote Originally posted by Seana View post
    Confucius Say
    Man who work hard and partake in festivity have good fortune.
    I'm SCREWED!
    Skilled Adoxographer

If you can't have fun in college, before your life is weighed down by a plethora of responsibilities, when can you have fun? Don't listen to those people who say you need to start working on the weekends, etc. That's just straight up crazy, unless its to pay your rent and take care of bills while in school. Pull an internship or two, but focus on school, not work. You'll have a lifetime of working ahead of you, why get a jump start now?

Quote Originally posted by chocolatechip View post
    Less classes?
    Undergrad=4 or 5 classes
    Grad=3 classes

Quote Originally posted by chocolatechip View post
    If you can't have fun in college, before your life is weighed down by a plethora of responsibilities, when can you have fun? Don't listen to those people who say you need to start working on the weekends, etc. That's just straight up crazy, unless its to pay your rent and take care of bills while in school. Pull an internship or two, but focus on school, not work. You'll have a lifetime of working ahead of you, why get a jump start now?
    This is my big fear.
    I never have really partied in college..not due to lack of time....more due to lack of people to do it with...and now about to head out into the workworld I fear I am screwed.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Volunteer opportunities - evenings and weekends?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 23 Nov 2010, 3:12 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 31 Dec 2006, 5:17 PM
  3. Holiday Weekends - Party Or Pray?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 24 May 2006, 1:34 PM
  4. All-time Best Party Songs
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26