Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Private sector planning firms in Charleston, SC: how are they doing these days?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2007

Private sector planning firms in Charleston, SC: how are they doing these days?

I recently spent some time in Charleston, South Carolina, and have decided that I could easily see myself living there. Does anybody here have insights into the state of private sector planning firms in the area? Are they mostly in hibernation or are they rebounding? Have any firms been hiring in the recent past (or at least finding new work)?

I know that the real estate market has been very down in the Charleston area for several years now, but it seems that there is some new growth occurring on the fringes of the historical areas of the city. And it also seems that demand for in-city housing has barely been impacted by the recent economic devastation. Are the local development firms coming back to life, or are they still in hibernation as well?

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Hi, I'm currently living outside of Charleston and things here have ground to a halt. I have been unemployed in this market for 10 months and have been looking here and outside of the state. SC itself has over 12 percent unemployment and nothing has been changing. The few firms that do planning here are mainly engineering or architecture firms that hire their own (aka Clemson or USC grads).

I would be happy to talk to you over the phone and answer more specific questions but the planning market here is about as bad as it gets in the country, sorry.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2007
    Wow, sounds pretty brutal over there. I suppose I'll stick with what I've got for now.

At least if you're unemployed in that area, you have beautiful beaches to visit. Pretty nice surf breaks too.

Good luck

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jbear View post
    I recently spent some time in Charleston, South Carolina, and have decided that I could easily see myself living there.
    Join the crowd Seriously, Charleston is far from some undicovered gem. It is probably one of the top three most desireable cities in the South. The problem is: the local employment opportunities are scarce and the pay is not equal to the cost of living (not even close). Check out Savannah, GA and Wilmington, NC for great alternatives (Wilmington is much more affordable).

P.S. Don't move to any of these cities without a job already lined-up.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Charleston is only 1.5 hours drive from Savannah. Go. Go now. (Ok, as soon as you find a job.) I left there about 13 years ago and regret it terribly. Nicest place I've lived in the world-Savannah. You will love it.
    ...Moving at the speed of local government

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I agree the place is nice, as a west coaster jbear may have a learning curve with the culture and people.
    @GigCityPlanner

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Urban planning in private firms
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 09 Apr 2008, 7:12 PM
  2. Private planning firms
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 31 Mar 2008, 11:42 AM
  3. Public sector planning versus private sector