Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: City-changing projects

Registered
    Sep 2008

City-changing projects

Reading the NY Times article on Sarkozy's "Le Grand Paris" http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/11/wo...e/11paris.html got me thinking about what other large-scale public-infrastructure, public-works, and, altogether city-changing projects are looming out there.

Obviously not as big, and much less of a "public-works" program but still very impressive is the Hudson Yards project in NYC. Seems to be stalling of late, but it should be quite city-changing once completed.

What other large projects could define the cities in which they are built?

Perth Foreshore redevelopment

This proposal has been out for some time now and had lot of public backlash. However i really do think that this will change the city of Perth, as it will connect the city to the river. http://blip.tv/file/927200

Registered
    Apr 2008
    Thankfully they're not building that anymore in Perth. Was a lot of big buildings which seemed to lack any real information about how they would connect on the ground and how the public spaces would work. Whether the scale was appropriate (which I tend to think it wasn't - the really big buildings should have been in Northbridge link) is purely academic if the spaces between the buildings don't work. Also commodified the public space and government was trying to develop without spending a cent - wanting all developer contribution. Fantastic graphic work though. That's my two cents.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. City webcam projects
    Information Technology
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 26 Jan 2009, 4:38 PM
  2. Changing your oil
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 40
    Last post: 13 Jan 2009, 10:44 AM
  3. Replies: 25
    Last post: 11 Oct 2007, 5:32 PM