Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: One day in Houston: suggestions?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

One day in Houston: suggestions?

Made my hotel reservation, and I'm gonna' get out of town early tomorrow morning, heading to the land of no zoning : Houston, Texas. Rothko Chapel is on the agenda. Any other suggestions re: walkable neighborhoods, restaurants, and the like east of downtown?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Made my hotel reservation, and I'm gonna' get out of town early tomorrow morning, heading to the land of no zoning : Houston, Texas. Rothko Chapel is on the agenda. Any other suggestions re: walkable neighborhoods, restaurants, and the like east of downtown?
    Want to go fishin' with my brother? He's near Dairy Ashford & Westheimer (on the west side, out beyond the Sam Houston), would be happy to take you out on the boat (if he's going). He usually drives about 45 minutes to where it's docked.

Check out the mass transit DT, installed for Super Bowl something or other.

Been to NASA? (Now there's a T-shirt idea: Houston, we have a problem.)

Ed can also take you to the Millie Bush Memorial Dog Park. (I am not making this up.)
    Last edited by Veloise; 21 Aug 2009 at 6:59 PM. Reason: Left the "g" in "fishin'"

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I would recommend The Heights (bounded by 610, 45, 10 and Durham) and Neartown/Montrose neighborhoods (bounded by U.S. Highway 59 to the south, Allen Parkway to the north, Bagby Street on the east, and Shepherd Drive to the west), and Westheimer Ave. The Theater District is also nice.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    (Now there's a T-shirt idea: Houston, we have a problem.)
    Ha, I want that t-shirt. (thats my name BTW, hence the "H")
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    I would recommend The Heights (bounded by 610, 45, 10 and Durham) and Neartown/Montrose neighborhoods (bounded by U.S. Highway 59 to the south, Allen Parkway to the north, Bagby Street on the east, and Shepherd Drive to the west), and Westheimer Ave. The Theater District is also nice.
    Da**, Burb Fixer, you beat me to the punch again! The Heights is a great area to walk around. Parts of it are fabulous, others not so much, but I will say those that live there think they own something special.

If you want to see some areas that were developed prior to being annexed by Houston, and therefore follow some very strict masterplanned zoning laws, go south to Clear Lake. Johnson Space Center is down there, and the cities that are closer to a water source (the lake or the bay) have great trail systems, useable open spaces, and you can see marina developments, as well.

Another are is the museum district. Lots of infill development, small streets, and funky little shops-in-old-houses. I'm trying to remember the name of the area that my friend goes to for his weekend coffee and breakfast fix. It's off Washington, but that's all I remember right now.
    There's a lot of new development going on in downtown. Several large-scale mixed-use developments sprouting up along the rail line. Renovations and conversions of old buildings were the norm a few years ago - don't know how the market has affected that area in Houston, since I haven't been in the downtown area for a while.

Hope you get this before you go!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Bus ticket to anywhere other than there?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Truth: Houston inside 610 is really pretty nice. They always get knocked around in the planning community for lack of zoning, but I think to some extent that helps Houston create some unique neighborhoods.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    So far ...

* Went to the Rothko Chapel.
    * Walked around the Neartown-Montrose area (think I got most of the Westheimer strip in the area). Thanks for the suggestion!
    * Drove around the River Oaks area and through downtown
    * Took the dogs to a dog park on Westpark, and drove back through the Galleria area. (My hotel is on 610 about a mile from the Galleria.)

Need a good place to eat dinner tonight. Maybe I'll check out the Heights area.

I'll post my impressions when I return; right now, I'm still trying to get my bearings.

Houston really needs several to absorb; right now, I'm dipping my feet in the water. Some weekend, I gotta' go to Corpus Christi and say hi to Chet!

Registered
    May 2004
    ...Need a good place to eat dinner tonight. ...
    Be some tasty grilled fish down to Dairy Ashford way. Mojitos, too.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Be some tasty grilled fish down to Dairy Ashford way. Mojitos, too.
    I think you might be surprised at the number of bikers I see here. It's certainly not like Denver or Austin, but I've been seeing more people on two wheels than I'd expect.

Registered
    May 2004
    I think you might be surprised at the number of bikers I see here. It's certainly not like Denver or Austin, but I've been seeing more people on two wheels than I'd expect.
    Nope, been there, seen it for myself. Not surprising given the climate, the demographics, and the Elves & More bicycle give-away.

So didja stop by Garden Ridge Pottery while there?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    There's a Garden Ridge in Austin. But ... I did stumble upon this wonderful sight.

On the drive back to Austin, I also stumbled upon what I think is one of the last operational Rexall pharmacies in the United States.

More later, when I upload the photos.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Let me know how it goes. When I moved down here, I chose the route thru Dallas instead of Houston, due to traffic horror stories. I might do Houston on the way home for the holidays. I have yet to do any meaningfull weekend trips to Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Brownsville, much less Mexico. Then again, home for the holidays may be home for good.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Minute Maid Park and catch an Astros game.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Houston, TX
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 15 Dec 2011, 4:58 PM
  2. Howdy from Houston, TX!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 07 Oct 2009, 7:27 PM
  3. Houston Is Taking Over
    Cities and Places