Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Diagonal parking space question(s)

Registered
    Aug 2009

Diagonal parking space question(s)

I live on a side street in a suburb in Cook County, Illinois. One side of the street has diagonal parking spaces on the parkway. The spaces are relatively small and the backs of cars parked i nthe spaces protrude into the street. Some park longer vehicles (GMC 1500 long pickup truck, fro example) in these spaces and the back protrudes well into the street.Some vehicles are left parked there for long periods of time, even in the winter snows. When snow plows are kept from plowing completely by the pareked cars not being moved for days, the ice and snow build up behind such parked vehicles and the street and adjacent parking spots are obstructed. Are there standards restricting how long of a vehicle may protrude into a street behind a diagonal parking space? Is there a length limit on how far the backs of longer vehicles may protrude into the street? Thanks

Registered
    Aug 2001
    How long a vehicle may protrude by time, or by length? Sounds like your designers didn't know the demographic or climate!

I spent most of my professional life in your neck of the woods. Most downtown redesigns failed for reasons you described. I think your area of concern needs to restart from a strategic level and do some downward design thinking.

Registered
    Aug 2009
    Isn't there some stated limit on how far back the rear of a vehicle may protrude into the street when diagonallly parked? In the situation I am addressing the rear of the vehicle protrudes beyond the curb into the street. every car in traffic passing swerves into the center of the road to avoid the rear of the vehicle. Are there stated guidelines somewhere?

There are a couple of key calculations that go into laying out diagonal on-street parking, but most important is the width of the pavement (face of curb across to face of curb). Knowing that, a designer can lay out parking that preserves adequately wide travel lanes and provides angled parking that typically doesn't protrude into those travel lanes. A 66-degree diagonal parking space will take more space from the face of the curb to the end of the parking space, than will a 33-degree one. The greater the angle, the more parking spaces provided.

There could be a couple things at work here: bad design; lack of enforcement of parking time limits/snow emergencies; or, intentional traffic calming. (Allowing parked vehicles to protrude into the traveled pavement for traffic calming is a bad way to do traffic calming, IMO.)
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Aug 2009
    Is there a source of recommended or required specifications for such parking spaces?

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Your zoning code should have parking space dimensions. What is required of private development should be good enough for public parking.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I respectfully disagree with Mike. Zoning should not govern public rights-of-way. Separate Ordinance should. But that is my Wisconsin speaking.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Yes Chet, but it is a standard.

Registered
    Aug 2009
    In my question, the diaganol parking spaces are on a parkway. the parway is too short to have parking spaces that woudl allow the entire vehicle to be on the parkway. thus, the rear of the vicles hangs over the edge of the parkway and curb into the street. When longer vehicles are parked in these spaces, they protrude far enough into the street that cars passing by have to swerve into the middle of the roadway. Are there stated specs for such spaces?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    To obtain LGP Village code:

(1) Copy/paste this link onto your browser:
    http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Illinois/lagrange_park_il/villageoflagrangeparkillinoiscodeofordin?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:lagrangepark_il

(2) On left menu, click 3rd folder: "La Grange Park, IL Code of Ordinances."

(3) Left menu has folders of entire village code for you to surf at your leisure.

Quote Originally posted by BlackhawkPaul View post
    Some vehicles are left parked there for long periods of time, even in the winter snows. When snow plows are kept from plowing completely by the pareked cars not being moved for days, the ice and snow build up behind such parked vehicles and the street and adjacent parking spots are obstructed. Are there standards restricting how long of a vehicle may protrude into a street behind a diagonal parking space? Is there a length limit on how far the backs of longer vehicles may protrude into the street?
    (1) Surf:
    TITLE IX GENERAL REGULATIONS----> 96. ABANDONED VEHICLES
    96.01 DEFINITIONS.

<Snipped middle text--cut to final sentence:>

Any vehicle parked or otherwise located on a highway or public property which has not been moved or used for seven consecutive days shall be presumed to be abandoned.
    BlackhawkPaul, after 7 days, you may report to code enforcement that these cars have been abandoned, citing the text I bolded.

(2) Surf:
    TITLE VII: TRAFFIC CODE---->71. TRAFFIC REGULATIONS---->71.020 Obstructing traffic
    71.020 OBSTRUCTING TRAFFIC.

No vehicle shall be operated or allowed to remain upon any street in such manner as to form an unreasonable obstruction to the traffic thereon.

(`70 Code, 13-19) Penalty, see 70.999
    BlackhawkPaul, whenever a car/truck protrudes too far onto the highway, the owner may be subject the offense that I bolded; you may report this issue to code enforcement.

Registered
    Aug 2009
    Thank you, Seana. This appears to be what I was seeking.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Parking space guidelines
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 05 Jun 2012, 12:19 PM
  2. Diagonal on-street parking
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 18 Aug 2011, 10:14 AM
  3. Parking space size
    Design, Space, and Place