Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: A horse is a horse is a horse is a BLAM!

Registered
    Mar 2004

A horse is a horse is a horse is a BLAM!

Anybody see this fun zoning case from Zman's Neighborhood?

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...14/detail.html
    Moderator note:
    Moved to the FAC since it really is more about a wacko than zoning.
    mendelman
    Last edited by mendelman; 26 Aug 2009 at 5:39 PM.
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    May 2004
    Parker showed up at court on an unrelated assualt charge
    I am shocked that this person has a history of ciminal behavior!

Registered
    Mar 2004

Well.....

Ok, the article doesn't even really say much about the code violation.....but I can't find him as a property owner in Weld County:

http://maps2.merrick.com/website/wel...%2C%20Colorado

105711100082 PARKER THOMAS R & Primary
    095911308003 PARKER TIFFANY A Additional
    147331202023 PARKER TIMMIE N Additional
    146701104042 PARKER TRACI Primary
    095914217008 PARKER TRACY E Primary
    095924328005 PARKER TRACY M Primary
    131107025009 PARKER TRISHA L Additional
    146936000031 PARKER VALERIE A Additional
    096104200012 PARKER VERNIE H & Primary

So, in my mind it does bring up an interesting question about Code Enforcement putting a guy in jail who doesn't actually own the land

http://www.greeleytribune.com/articl...908269990/1001

Too bad I can't go back and add a poll to see how many of our jurisdictions take Code Violation cases to the tenants directly not to mention put them in jail for a violation
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I think he needs to post a zoning commie sign in the yard.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Love the quote.

"The first horse that we're gonna kill is a beautiful gray stallion by the name of Independence,” Parker told the Greeley Tribune on Tuesday. "When we shoot him with one shot, make no mistake about it, it will be the first shot of the second American Revolution. You think I'm kidding? You just sit by and watch what happens."
    The northern Front Range of Colorado tends to be quite liberal, but there's a LOT of uber-libertarian "get the hell off my land" nuttery around those parts.

An article from Channel 9 in Denver:

WELD COUNTY - Trenton Parker, 64, recently distributed a flyer asking for someone to come to the property he tends to in Weld County and gun down 24 horses.

In 1977, Parker ran for the U.S. Senate in Colorado as a Republican. He lost.

Though he dabbled in politics, Parker made a career out of crime.

According to The Denver Post, Parker was sent to federal prison in the 90s after he was found guilty of bilking investors of $9 million.

His criminal history is also laced with charges of theft, forgery and assault.

[snip]

She says the possibility stems from an ongoing dispute between Parker and the Weld County Zoning and Planning Department.

As a result of that dispute, Parker is supposed to report to jail on Sept. 8.

Wetherbee says in Parker's mind shooting the horses was better than letting them starve or sending them to a slaughterhouse in Mexico.

[snip]

Investigators also say that Parker left a threatening voice mail at the county zoning department. When the zoning department got the voice mail, the employees called the sheriff's office.

On the voice mail, deputies say Parker graphically described how he would kill his horses.

According to an incident report, "It would be done in public, he would kill one every day for a week on the front steps of the court house, at CSU and other public places. He would stab them in the belly three or four times, killing the foal and then he would bash the mare's brains in."

On the voice mail, Parker also said he would starve the horses because he didn't have any sheds to put hay in "because the courts were making him get rid of all buildings and trailers."
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Here we had a land owner in the county who came to the attention of the health department because of rabbits. Lots and lots and lots of rabbits. He acquired a few from the humane society and the rabbits did what rabbits like to do. Soon he had lots of free-range bunnies.

As long as the rabbits stayed on his property it wasn't a problem, but there got to be so many they began to forage at the neighbors' property and get squished by cars. It looked like a rabbit holocaust along the road. What really surprises me is the area is not overrun by coyotes. You would think coyotes, being smart and hungry animals, would flock to this bunny buffet.

We also had a fellow who came to the attention of the health department for several health violations. He claimed compliance would make him have to kill his pigs - which it did not. He threatened to shoot any county employee that came on his land.

I am beginning to think that county living, on-site wastewater treatment and untreated animal waste in the aquifer causes dementia in nutjobs.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    I am beginning to think that county living, on-site wastewater treatment and untreated animal waste in the aquifer causes dementia in nutjobs.
    Yeah, those demented nutjobs are the worst kind, not at all like the sane ones.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Ok, the article doesn't even really say much about the code violation.....but I can't find him as a property owner in Weld County:

So, in my mind it does bring up an interesting question about Code Enforcement putting a guy in jail who doesn't actually own the land
    Be careful not to assume that he owns it in his own name. It could be under a corporate or partnership name, for example. It could be in a trust. There are lots of ways he could own it but not be listed.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yup....

Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    Be careful not to assume that he owns it in his own name. It could be under a corporate or partnership name, for example. It could be in a trust. There are lots of ways he could own it but not be listed.
    Good points.....but what if he really doesn't own the land?
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Good points.....but what if he really doesn't own the land?
    Then punish the bureaucrat.

But someone would have to be pretty stupid to cite an "offender" if (1) the offense has to be committed by the land owner, and (2) the "offender" is not the land owner. The whole "I'm not the owner" thing could be a big red herring.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    Then punish the bureaucrat.

But someone would have to be pretty stupid to cite an "offender" if (1) the offense has to be committed by the land owner, and (2) the "offender" is not the land owner. The whole "I'm not the owner" thing could be a big red herring.
    Good. A big red herring just means more stuff to kill.

Our local court sent a tenant to jail for contempt for violating the Zoning Ordinance. He was displaying goods for sale outdoors in a district that doesn't permit it. No zoning approval, so we went to court. He was ordered to stop. He didn't. It was pretty much a slam dunk case against the tenant-offender, and well documented.

I don't see the hostility toward prosecuting the tenant if the tenant's the perp, as well notifying the owner.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmm.....

Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Our local court sent a tenant to jail for contempt for violating the Zoning Ordinance. He was displaying goods for sale outdoors in a district that doesn't permit it. No zoning approval, so we went to court. He was ordered to stop. He didn't. It was pretty much a slam dunk case against the tenant-offender, and well documented.

I don't see the hostility toward prosecuting the tenant if the tenant's the perp, as well notifying the owner.
    Most lease agreements should have a clause about meeting local standards, assuming there is a lease and the tenant has a legal right to enjoy the property, or in your case, abuse the property. When you say well documented, did you have a copy of the lease agreement provided from the owner? That should be enough evidence to shift the brunt of the case onto the tenant as opposed to the owner. Around here, we tend to skip the middle man (tenant) and go directly to the source, the owner.
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Mar 2002
    So September 5 has come and gone. Any horse murders?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 27 Aug 2008, 9:08 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 10 Nov 2006, 6:07 PM
  3. Trojan Horse
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 03 May 2006, 10:02 PM
  4. Horny Horse
    Friday Afternoon Club