Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Gause, Texas: another sleepy Texas town

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Gause, Texas: another sleepy Texas town

Another little Texas town. From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gause,_Texas):

The population reached its peak around 1915, when 1,000 people lived in the community. Gause slowly declined over the next few decades. Its bank was discontinued in 1927 after 17 years in operation. The combination of a decline in the number of businesses in Gause and the introduction of the automobile precipitated further downturns in the local economy. By the 1960s, the community had 278 residents, down from 750 in the 1940s. The population began to rebound in the late 1980s as more people chose to live in Gause and commute to jobs in nearby industrial plants. In 1990, Gause had 400 residents and eight businesses. The population remained unchanged as of 2000. Despite its unincorporated status, Gause continues to have a functioning post office (zip code:77857).

Main Street: frontage road parallel to US 79

Nice old Methodist church, in the style of a traditional synagogue.

New church. I wonder if prefabricated, factory-built metal structures were available 80 or 90 years ago, would they be as common then as they are now?

Next to the county cemetery.

I don't understand why there's a picnic area -- with very solid brick benches and tables -- next to the county cemetery.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Why a picnic area next to the cemetery?

If you go to Bozeman you will find a very nice park that you drive through to get to the city cemetery.

I visited Tucan, Ecuador years back. The cemetery had fantastic topiaries, benches, tables. In short it was park-like. Not many people there own cars. Going to the cemetary from the hinterlands is time-consuming.

I think it may harken back to slower days. When the trip into town by wagon or Model T took up much of the day. So, the family on Saturday packed a picnic lunch, went into town, did the shopping, had a picnic at the park and visited Grandpa and Grandma's (and perhaps Little Sis - who died of diphtheria in 1909) gravesite, before heading back to the farm.

That, or perhaps the town planned to be a larger community and dedicated too much land for a cemetary. When the town's ambition did not meet reality, and the dead were not stacking up as expected, they found themselves with extra land. So they made a park.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

     
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    It's not uncommon at all to see picnic tables, chairs, etc. at cemeteries in the South. When I was growing up, the large cemetery down the street (with paved pathways throughout) was the de facto community walking track; it was also a beautiful green space with lots of old trees.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I love how it's a "Gro. & Mkt." They just couldn't scrounge up the money for those extra letters. That's quality.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Oct 2003
    As others have aluded to, in many small Texas towns, the cemetery is the only "park" around. My grandparents have always gone for walks in the local cemetery...everyone does in their town. I wonder how spending so much time in a cemetery (for recreation, not macabre stuff) impacts peoples' perspectives of death....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Greetings from Texas
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 10 Oct 2010, 3:14 PM
  2. Texas
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 18 May 2010, 9:27 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 21 Sep 2009, 12:00 PM