Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How can I learn the ArcGIS Network Analyst extension?

How can I learn the ArcGIS Network Analyst extension?

I want to learn how to use the Network Analyst extention on ArcGIS 9.3. So far I have found a free training seminar on the esri virtual campus website, but it doesnt provide hands on experience. How can I get some hands on experience with this extention? Is there a place I can download some files/maps/shapefiles so I can play around with this thing? Thanks.

PS I have already graduated from Grad School in Planning, and am not employed, so I am doing this on my own at home with a student edition of ArcGIS 9.3

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Don't know what is available to you or what your financial situation is like, but the best practical GIS course I took was at a local community college. The prices usually aren't to bad and you'll get the hands-on instruction you need. You may even find that they offer short seminars (a couple of days) on specific tools within GIS.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Check up on ESRI Authorized Business Partner training classes. This may be a long shot, but if they offer *paid* training classes, and have open seats, they may allow students ir recent grads to audit the class. If the seat is open, its not generating cash anyway, and if you get trained, you are a future customer.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    There is a tutorial that comes with the extension I believe. If i can recall, one of the exercises was finding shortest routes to hospitals using the street network in San Francisco, and resource allocation of warehouses to retail outlets using the street network of Paris.

If you haven't already completed this exercise, message me and I can send the necessary shapefiles to you. It comes with a tutorial with step-by-step instructions.

Registered
    Mar 2009
    NULL *unhelpful post*
    We architects and urban planners aren't the visible symbols of oppression, like the military or the police. We're more sophisticated, more educated, and more socially conscious. We're the soft cops.- Robert Goodman, After the Planners My Planning Forumino

I am happy to report that my internship will pay for me to attend a class on Network Analyst in Feb. Yay!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Route analyst test help
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 09 Apr 2013, 2:24 PM
  2. Interview for route analyst
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 11 Dec 2010, 9:35 AM
  3. Extension 720
    Friday Afternoon Club