Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Where to apply? Evaluate my chances.

Registered
    Oct 2009

Where to apply? Evaluate my chances.

I am applying to master's programs now and would like some points of view on what I can expect so I know where I should apply to. Master of Planning with emphasis in Community Development, specifically cultural integration and economic development. I am interested in the policy side of planning.

I have a 3.25 GPA from the University of California San Diego with a dual degree in Linguistics and Public Policy. I am scheduled to take the GRE in two weeks. I don't have any directly related work experience, but I have lived in the Dominican Republic for two years as a volunteer and for six months in Peru teaching English (where I am finishing up now). My Spanish skills are very good. My referees have said good things about my statement of purpose.

I have on my list now:
    USC, University of Illinois at Chicago, University of Colorado at Denver, Portland St., and the University of Pennsylvania.
    I would like to know my chances. UPenn might be a longshot, but my language planning interests are right in line with a research center they operate. Also, if possible, could you make recommendations as to other schools I might consider?

Infinitely appreciated.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    If it helps, my GRE scores are:
    Verbal 590
    Math 650
    Writing 5.0

Language planning at UPenn

Hi Cosmike- I'm new to this too and starting to feel out the waters. Not sure I can answer your questions but I was just wondering- could you let me know which research center at UPenn you are referring to? I'd be curious to check it out as well. Thanks a lot!

Registered
    Oct 2009
    for sure, it doesn't look like an official research center as much as its an "unincorporated association" of research universities dedicated to studying language policy and planning. my understanding is that upenn began the establishment of this "association." here is a link for you to check it out.
    http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/plc/clpp/

Registered
    Oct 2009
    for sure, it doesn't look like an official research center as much as its an "unincorporated association" of research universities dedicated to studying language policy and planning. my understanding is that upenn began the establishment of this "association." here is a link for you to check it out.
    http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/plc/clpp/

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Another chances thread
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 30 Mar 2011, 8:41 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 06 Sep 2010, 1:14 AM
  3. Chances at MSRE/MRED???
    Student Commons
    Replies: 2