Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Which one is better? Ohio State or Cincinnati?

Registered
    Feb 2008

Which one is better? Ohio State or Cincinnati?

hello~~~

I am recently admitted as a graduate student to Ohio State university and University of Cincinnati. Both are urban planning programs.

Cincinnati gave me a graduate scholarship and Ohio State said they would help me to get an internship.

I don't know which one is better? Considering academic backgrounds and resources, which one will bring me more career opportunities?I really need help to make my decision.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Although slightly biased towards Ohio State, I think that either will give you a good education. I know that the faculty at OSU is very good and they are willing to work with people to get help them get the specific education that they are looking for.

I know that both UC and OSU are ranked nationally, but I think that OSU is ranked higher, if you take Planetizen rankings for anything more than a glorified popularity score.

In the end, I don't think either are bad. I would just rather be in Columbus than Cincinnati. Just personal preference. I know I didn't help much, but good luck on your choice!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Although slightly biased towards Ohio State, I think that either will give you a good education. I know that the faculty at OSU is very good and they are willing to work with people to get help them get the specific education that they are looking for.

I know that both UC and OSU are ranked nationally, but I think that OSU is ranked higher, if you take Planetizen rankings for anything more than a glorified popularity score.

In the end, I don't think either are bad. I would just rather be in Columbus than Cincinnati. Just personal preference. I know I didn't help much, but good luck on your choice!
    Thank you! I don't know much about cincinnati. There are fewer discussion about the MUP of UC than OSU. I will think it over.

I know this thread is over a year old but I'm going to go ahead and bump it back up since I'm looking at both schools as well. I wasn't considering Cincinnati until very recently. I really like the strong international focus of their program as well, I don't think I'd go so far as to say that having the opportunity to study abroad is a deal-breaker but it's something I really want to do in grad school. I'm not sure how strong OSU is in that department.

But from what I've heard OSU is very strong in the design aspect of planning...........ultimately I want to be a planner, not an urban designer. But quite frankly I got limited design experience in undergrad (I'm getting my B.S. in planning), so I want to expound upon that in my graduate studies.

So what do you guys think? I don't want to apply to too many programs, so I'm thinking I'm going to have to apply to either one, but not both. I've been to Cincinnati before (not the school, but the city itself). It's an OK town. Never been to Columbus.

Also, how is tuition/financial aid at the two schools? They both seem a bit expensive from what I can tell. Are they generous in terms of aid?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Liquidate Ohio State
    (Sung to the tune of the OSU Fight Song)

Liquidate Ohio State and turn the Buckeyes blue.
    They breed a lot of cattle in Columbus,
    It looks just like a zoo.

Knock them off their ivory towers,
    Send them crawling into the showers,
    Down with Ohio State,
    Itís a know-nothing party school!

They say the girls who go to O.S.U.,
    Are husband hunting dames,
    They dig the jocks who got the killer instinct,
    Not the boys with brains.

At Columbus youíre way ahead,
    With straight Aís in Physical Ed,
    Down with Ohio State,
    Itís a know-nothing party school.

Bust your guts for Tressel!
    Move your butts for Tressel!

Liquidate Ohio State and turn the Buckeyes blue,
    It looks just like a zoo. Rah! Rah! Rah!

Down with Ohio State,
    Itís a know-nothing party schoooooooooool!

by Dick Purtan

This is satire. I am no way supportive of any particular Big Ten sports program.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Liquidate Ohio State
    (Sung to the tune of the OSU Fight Song)

Liquidate Ohio State and turn the Buckeyes blue.
    It looks just like a zoo.

Down with Ohio State,
    It’s a know-nothing party school!

They say the girls who go to O.S.U.,
    Are husband hunting dames,
    They dig the jocks who got the killer instinct,
    Not the boys with brains.

At Columbus you’re way ahead,
    With straight A’s in Physical Ed,
    Down with Ohio State,
    It’s a know-nothing party school.

Bust your guts for Tressel!
    Move your butts for Tressel!

Liquidate Ohio State and turn the Buckeyes blue,
    It looks just like a zoo. Rah! Rah! Rah!

Down with Ohio State,
    It’s a know-nothing party schoooooooooool!

by Dick Purtan

This is satire. I am no way supportive of any particular Big Ten sports program.

I see.

Anyone else have any input? Please, no fight songs.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Well first off, all I have to say to the Blow fan...1-AA. About The Ohio State University, and Cincy...if you want a more professional environment, go to Cincy. I'm not saying Ohio State isn't professional, but with the largest undergraduate population in the country, there's a bunch of know-it-all punks running around, and it brings down the quality I think, contrasting with all the pomp and circumstance OSU has. So, its what you want...

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Truthfully I have worked with lots of people who have had the misfortune to attend several big-ten schools. They are all good planners though they do compete like that.

Growing up that was all I knew about Ohio State. When I went to Columbus for the first time I never saw a cow. Can't say that about trips out to U of M or MSU.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Ohio State accepted me; Cincy did not. That can be taken either way.

Seriously, I agree with some of the others in that a smaller school is nice.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Ohio State Fall '10
    Student Commons
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 21 Jun 2010, 2:04 AM
  2. Hello from Cincinnati, Ohio!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 24 Jan 2010, 12:28 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 04 Jun 2009, 12:06 AM