Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Transitioning from preservation to planning [Was: Directions, directions]

Registered
    May 2009

Transitioning from preservation to planning [Was: Directions, directions]

Hi folks,

I dont post here often - but I read lots of entries. I tried to find some specific answers already and I am looking for some confirmation of what I did find...

Quick background:
    BS - Historic Preservation Planning
    MA - History/Historic Preservation

4 yrs - Assistant Admin for local HDC
    3 yrs - Exec Director for local housing non-profit

Several years on local planning boards

I want to jump into planning in a more meaningful way and I am looking for ways to do it. Of course, that is compounded by a need to stay in the New England Region - and preferably within Vermont or Western Mass. I know - its not looking good...but bear with me.

Currently, I am working on getting my LEED-Homes certification and will plan on taking the LEED-ND certification. I have a real interest in trying to tie my historic preservation planning, my housing planning, my green building/communities into a planning career. But I am at a loss at how to present myself to a planning agency correctly...

I looked at AICP - probably dont have enough direct experience to qualify.
    I looked at CNU-A - costs way too much (especially in light of LEED costs that I will have to bear)
    Looked at online certificates in planning...would that do it?

I just need a touch of advice on if I have a hope in hades to get a planning job. I'm willing to wait for the right moment in New England; but if I will never get a planning agency job, then I will shift gears into a more preservation or development focused type of job search.

Thanks folks - I do appreciate your opinions on 1) anything that would help me look better for the job search, 2) whether my job search would bear fruit, and 3) if I'm loony as a jaybird and should stick to straight up HP.

Aaron

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Combining housing, preservation, and sustainable building skills should be very hot now. (Except few are hiring for anything.) Take a look at cities that have created sustainability programs for hints on how to package your skills.

Registered
    May 2009
    Thanks to whomever changed my title - I realized it wasn't very descriptive after I posted it...

Well, I will keep on looking and thinking. I guess my biggest limitation is just trying too hard to stick to New England...and to stick to places that are more rural...

Thanks!
    Aaron

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Bicycling directions on Google maps!
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 17 Jun 2010, 3:08 PM
  2. Following directions
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 22 Oct 2009, 3:29 PM