Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Carrizozo, NM

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Carrizozo, NM

Carrizozo is a fascinating place. In some ways it looks like a ghost town, and there are plenty of abandoned buildings lining its streets, but it's also the county seat and has quite a bit of economic activity. An odd juxtaposition. There are painted burro statues all over the place; there are several in the pictures. It's also famous for its cider, which is very good.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Nice interesting looking town. I like it.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Getting closer to Tularosa, Alamogaudy and Las Cruces ...

(You'll soon learn why we called it "Alamogaudy")
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I did actually drive through Alamogordo on this trip. I didn't stop or take pictures.

Registered
    Aug 2009

Great shots of Carrizozo

We had driven through Carrizozo on our way to Ruidoso from Albuquerque 2 years ago and on the return trip, ended up buying a lot in the Valle Del Sol development that had just opened on the east side of town across from the newly rebuilt golf course.

At first glance, Carrizozo doesn't look like much, but after visiting some of the shops and talking to several different "locals", we got a sense of the life beneath the facade. The "old, empty" part of town is starting to be rejuvenated as an artists community of galleries and the "new" part of town, the Valle Del Sol development, will have new retail growth like a grocery store, hardware store, commercial offices, etc.

We plan on building a home and possibly retiring to Carrizozo and look forward to being a part of the rebirth of the city. By the way, we're from Minnesota.

+ Reply to thread