Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 24 of 79 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24 25 34 ... LastLast

Thread: Graduate/PhD 2010-2011 applications and acceptance notices: United States

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Congrats on the acceptances.
    and also ahappycamper07, i got into ubc as well, maybe well be planning buddies soon.

I COMPLETELY forgot all about my gradschool apps with all the fun olympic stuff going on, now its time to be nervous again

Registered
    Sep 2009
    although not officially admitted yet [a couple documents got lost!!!!] i got in at cal poly pomona! (i got someone to squeeze out the news}

im glad i got in..no way am i willing to pay $$$ for a degree in planning.

cal poly pomona is soo darn cheap, i can pay my tuition in cash hustling cell phones at tmobile. take that sallie mae!

ps, if youre thinking of switching to tmobile, let me know

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by inky crash View post
    Has a single person gotten an outright acceptance or rejection from Cornell yet?

I think there was someone earlier in the thread who got accepted to historic preservation, but that was it. I guess that they've only sent out the waitlist notices for planning and nothing else yet?
    Seriously! How strange? Don't wait lists usually go out with or immediately following acceptances?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2010
    The fact that they have a waitlist would seem to imply that they've decided on who's been accepted, or at least a big chunk of them. I'm guessing there's just some kind of mundane administrative delay, like they're still writing/editing the text of the acceptance e-mail maybe.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I received an email from Georgia Tech this morning saying that I have been accepted into their program! I had been in contact with the office and after inquiring about decisions dates, I was told that I could hear earlier if I wanted than when they send out decisions either today or early next week for the first group by snail mail as I'll be on Spring Break next week (still an undergrad).

I don't have info as to packages, just let me know that I got in-- nothing official.

First line of decisions came on Feb. 25th apparently.

Good luck to y'all-- I'm off to the Caribbean.

Also, on a sadder note, I was rejected from Chapel Hill two days ago-- heightened my anxieties which led me to get in touch with GT.

Registered
    Feb 2010
    Yikes, two people are in at UBC and I haven't heard anything! Actually, I haven't heard from anyone yet. I also applied to UNC, UMaryland, Portland State, and UMass. UBC is my top choice.

Hey guys my UNC status was updated yesterday afternoon. Is it only me, or have other people's status changed too?
    Last edited by psionic195; 05 Mar 2010 at 10:40 AM. Reason: spelling

I find myself checking my status at 6am even when I irrationally checked it at 9pm the night before, too. I am losing it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally posted by livingproof View post
    I find myself checking my status at 6am even when I irrationally checked it at 9pm the night before, too. I am losing it.
    Ha, I've already gotten into a couple places and I'm still pretty much unhinged right now. Been checking my Gmail every five minutes today.

Quote Originally posted by casilv View post
    I received an email from Georgia Tech this morning saying that I have been accepted into their program! I had been in contact with the office and after inquiring about decisions dates, I was told that I could hear earlier if I wanted than when they send out decisions either today or early next week for the first group by snail mail as I'll be on Spring Break next week (still an undergrad).

I don't have info as to packages, just let me know that I got in-- nothing official.

First line of decisions came on Feb. 25th apparently.

Good luck to y'all-- I'm off to the Caribbean.

Also, on a sadder note, I was rejected from Chapel Hill two days ago-- heightened my anxieties which led me to get in touch with GT.
    Congrats!! Did you also hear about funding or graduate assistantships?

UNC Chapel Hill Status

Quote Originally posted by psionic195 View post
    Hey guys my UNC status was updated yesterday afternoon. Is it only me, or have other people's status changed too?
    That means some sort of decision has been made. For those of us notified in an earlier wave, there was a lag of about a week between that status change and receiving a letter in the mail from them. So, next Thursday or Friday you should get your official notice from UNC.

Quote Originally posted by warderjack View post
    That means some sort of decision has been made. For those of us notified in an earlier wave, there was a lag of about a week between that status change and receiving a letter in the mail from them. So, next Thursday or Friday you should get your official notice from UNC.
    Thanks for the info! I'm not expecting an acceptance, but at least if it's a rejection it should come soon. Does anyone think that they may tell me if I call them? I just really want to know.

I had sent an email to Georgia Tech a few days ago regarding my status and received a reply this afternoon. They did not get to my application.

The next round of reviews will be Thursday, March 11, so I won't be expecting a letter in the mail for at least another 2-3 weeks.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    The fact that they have a waitlist would seem to imply that they've decided on who's been accepted, or at least a big chunk of them. I'm guessing there's just some kind of mundane administrative delay, like they're still writing/editing the text of the acceptance e-mail maybe.
    The waitlisting seems very MBA-ish. You'll have rounds with admits and waitlisters and the waitlisters are compared with the next round admits and the process is refined until the last round.

But then again, I usually don't know what I'm talking about.

I know a bunch of people have called up UCLA among other schools to find out whether or not they were accepted over the phone. Is there any trick to doing this? Has anybody encountered a program where it's their policy to not say a status over the phone? I ask this since the three remaining schools that I am hopeful about are all on the west coast and only notify via snail mail and I am on the east coast. I'm not a fan of the lag that's up to a week because of this!

Totally unrelated, based upon The Grad Cafe, it appears that Virginia Tech is beginning to send out notices.

Registered
    Aug 2009

Va Tech

Hey all,

I think they're making decisions at Virginia Tech, so check your status if you applied!

I know a bunch of people have called up UCLA among other schools to find out whether or not they were accepted over the phone. Is there any trick to doing this? Has anybody encountered a program where it's their policy to not say a status over the phone? I ask this since the three remaining schools that I am hopeful about are all on the west coast and only notify via snail mail and I am on the east coast. I'm not a fan of the lag that's up to a week because of this!

Totally unrelated, based upon The Grad Cafe, it appears that Virginia Tech is beginning to send out notices.
    I just called USC and they informed me that no decision has been made yet on my application, so I guess that they have no policy against giving that information out. On the other hand it is possible that I was rejected and she didn't want to tell me that over the phone .....who knows

Registered
    Feb 2010
    I know a bunch of people have called up UCLA among other schools to find out whether or not they were accepted over the phone. Is there any trick to doing this? Has anybody encountered a program where it's their policy to not say a status over the phone?
    I called UCLA once and asked about why my online application status still mentions 2009 applications. The woman said it hasn't been updated and I will get a call next week. End of conversation. So I called the next day with a different approach. I said "I am calling to find out if a decision has been made on my application" to which the same woman responded "What's your last name?", looked it up, and told me the news. So I guess my advice is - be straightforward with what you want!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally posted by skeeter View post
    The waitlisting seems very MBA-ish. You'll have rounds with admits and waitlisters and the waitlisters are compared with the next round admits and the process is refined until the last round.

But then again, I usually don't know what I'm talking about.
    Well, that would make perfect sense except that one of the postings on gradcafe quoted the waitlist email they got as saying "At the moment our quota is full. We are, however, actively considering you among a small number of applicants who are admissible if vacancies occur in the entering class."

Isn't that basically saying that they've selected all the people they're going to accept until they actually know how many people are enrolling? I dunno. I guess it could also mean they've filled a quota of acceptances for a first wave of decisions, not for the whole set of applicants.

I guess it's also possible that they have sent out some acceptances, but no one who posts here or gradcafe got in yet. Doesn't seem too likely though.

I'm really obsessing about this...

GT acceptance!

Like a few others who have posted, I also wrote an e-mail to Georgia Tech about admissions decisions since because of timing, I have to coordinate the trip to that open house with some work travel. I'm in!!! and they haven't made funding decisions yet, but I was told I'm in the running!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    @inky crash: Re Cornell. WAY obsessing. You're contagious! I'm feeling it too. I think it's safe to say that both rejections and a first round of admits have yet to be sent out because people post that stuff reallll quick on grad cafe anyway. So, hold out for whatever it might be. I'm waiting on it too. Got an email (in response to one I'd sent) saying Cornell would notify admits (presumably rejections too) between early and mid March. No more guestimating, you're killing me.
    @RainPlanner Congrats on GT! And to other folks who have found out!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2007
    UCLA - No decision, Jennifer says they're still reviewing a final batch of applications. Answer next week.

USC - Decision made, but can't be shared over telephone. I'll have to wait for it in the mail next week.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Well, that would make perfect sense except that one of the postings on gradcafe quoted the waitlist email they got as saying "At the moment our quota is full. We are, however, actively considering you among a small number of applicants who are admissible if vacancies occur in the entering class."

Isn't that basically saying that they've selected all the people they're going to accept until they actually know how many people are enrolling? I dunno. I guess it could also mean they've filled a quota of acceptances for a first wave of decisions, not for the whole set of applicants.

I guess it's also possible that they have sent out some acceptances, but no one who posts here or gradcafe got in yet. Doesn't seem too likely though.

I'm really obsessing about this...

Me too. Me too.

Registered
    Nov 2009

GaTech

Quote Originally posted by RainPlanner View post
    Like a few others who have posted, I also wrote an e-mail to Georgia Tech about admissions decisions since because of timing, I have to coordinate the trip to that open house with some work travel. I'm in!!! and they haven't made funding decisions yet, but I was told I'm in the running!
    OoooOOoo I wanna know too. The Invitation the open house came out on the 25th I wonder if it was sent to admits only?

To those of you who have written to a program asking when decisions will be arrive, who did you write? The director, or someone else?

+ Reply to thread
Page 24 of 79 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24 25 34 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 132
    Last post: 29 Aug 2014, 9:02 AM
  2. Replies: 587
    Last post: 01 Apr 2014, 4:13 PM
  3. Replies: 573
    Last post: 12 May 2012, 3:29 AM
  4. Replies: 708
    Last post: 26 Jul 2011, 6:59 PM