Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Graduate/PhD 2010-2011 applications and acceptance notices: United States

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by SebringVandit View post
    Binghamton has an urban planning program??
    Yes, but is run through the geography dept. Here is the link to check out their programs, Planning is about halfway in:http://bulletin.binghamton.edu/progr...program_id=337

CAL app

Is it too late to take the GRE in mid November for CAL's December 1 application deadline?

Quote Originally posted by ToPlanIsMyFuture View post
    Is it too late to take the GRE in mid November for CAL's December 1 application deadline?
    Their deadline is actually December 7. Since it takes a couple weeks for the Analytical writing portion of the GRE to be graded, I'd recommend rescheduling the GRE much earlier. Other schools have recommended scheduling the GRE about a month ahead of their deadline, so I'd use that as a guideline.

Quote Originally posted by warderjack View post
    Background:
    Central Connecticut State University '10, B.A. Geography - Planning
    3.90 GPA, GRE:1220 (V620, Q600 A5.5)
    Work:
    Interning at the State of Connecticut's Office of Transportation Policy, was in the Navy for 6 years
    Desired Focus:
    Transportation/Infrastructure Planning
    Applying to:
    MIT, UC Berkeley, Portland St, U Washington, UI Chicago
    Scratch UIC; Chicago is a fascinating city, but I think I'll pass on that.

Add: Rutgers, UNC

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Me too. I'd like to make it to a UNC visitation date.

On a similar note, does anyone know if Cornell has any MRP visitation dates this fall?

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post

Undergrad: Rutgers U Geography & Urban Studies Dual Major 3.29
    Master: Rutgers Bloustein School MCRP 3.66

9 Years of Public Sector Experience:
    1 Year GIS Research Assistant
    7 Years Principal Planner
    2 Years Planning Director (P&Z Administrator)

Exploring my options for a PhD

GRE (first ones are too old) December

Narrowed list:
    UDel
    FSU
    UF
    GT
    Louisville
    Cornell
    OSU
    Clemson
    Cincinnati

Other Possibles:
    UNC
    Maryland
    UW Madison
    UMASS
    Reconsidered list, subject to change at anytime:

Maryland
    UNC
    UI-C
    UW-Madison
    Cornell
    VT
    GT
    Harvard
    UPENN
    Michigan
    UMASS
    Louisville
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Oct 2009

NEW MEMBER:Grad School for Fall 2011

I am a sociology student about to graduate with my B.A. I am looking at planning schools but don't know exactly where I want to apply. I am interested in many aspects of planning specifically environmental and socio economics of cities. I am open to go to most places and I just need to find the right program.

I decided to add more schools. So now for Fall2010 I am looking at

UPenn
    MIT
    Cornell
    Harvard
    Rutgers
    Hunter
    Binghamton
    Buffalo

( I <3 NY )

I can't wait to get the GRE over with tomorrow so I can focus on the statement!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by thebiggestdreamer View post
    I decided to add more schools. So now for Fall2010 I am looking at

UPenn
    MIT
    Cornell
    Harvard
    Rutgers
    Hunter
    Binghamton
    Buffalo

( I <3 NY )

I can't wait to get the GRE over with tomorrow so I can focus on the statement!
    I have a suggestion. Albany also has a planning department that is housed in the geography department. I started this Fall and I'm really happy with the program so far. I've already found internship opportunities. If you're interested in being in New York I may consider Albany over Binghamton due to the large amount of internship opportunities in the capital region. Good luck with GRE!

Stats: UNCW B.A., 3.4 GPA, Double major in English and Geography

Work experience: 2 summers urban planning intern for local government + 2 years event planning for a resort. Unfortunately not too much urban planning experience.

Applying to: UNC, University of Maryland, Hunter College, VA-Tech, Boston University, Cornell, MIT, SUNY Buffalo, and maybe a couple others.

Taking the GRE in November.

On a side note: Just got back from UNC MCRP open house/information session. Seems like a great (but very selective) program. Best of luck to everyone!

Registered
    Oct 2009

Admission Concerns

Hi friends
    I am considering applying to the PhD course for Fall 2010.I completed my Masters in Urban Planning from School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi,India this year.Did a Masters in Geography prior to that.My academic record so far has been pretty good but my GRE score is 1130 which is not very impressive.I am concerned about which Schools to apply with such a score.I presently stay in Atlanta.
    I am interested in researching in the area of Economic and Community Development.Can anyone suggest which US Planning Schools I should consider applying?

Registered
    Oct 2009

Background:
    Lyndon State College (First 2 years) 3.2 gpa
    UConn (Last 2 years) '09 Geography, 3.5 GPA

GRE: 10/20

Work Experience: Nothing related to planning. Currently work for The Hartford.

My "short" list (Will narrow down to 5-6 in the end):

UMass (hey nebhe discount)
    Pratt
    NYU
    Rutgers
    Michigan
    Ohio State
    Cincinnati
    Wisc Milwaukee
    Minnesota
    Colorado Denver
    Washington
    Portland State

I want a downtown campus, at least in a large college town (Ann Arbor). I prefer large state schools with big programs (I hated the small school experience). Into sports would be a plus. Near mountains (big skier) would be a plus. I think all the above have a solid enough rep. Michigan, Minnesota, Washington, NYU all a reach imo. UMass and Milwaukee locks hopefully.

I'm infatuated with NYC, Brooklyn especially, but hesitant to go to grad school there.

The biggest thing I'm into is smart growth and curbing exurban development. Infill Infill Infill. Transit oriented growth. Mixed use!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2009

anyone?

anyone applying to grad school right after graduating from college?
    I'm in this situation and I wonder if it'll be bad for admissions.........I figured I really wanted to go to grad school in urban planning after graduating from college....

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Background:

University of Tennessee-Graduated May '09
    Dual Major: Economics and International Business (3.54 cumulative GPA)
    GRE: 1330 (V 570, Q 760, AW 5)
    1 very good recommendation, 2 others I'm a little unsure of

Experience:
    Worked as a land surveyor one summer, big brother mentor my entire senior year of college, currently working as an English language teacher in Seoul, Korea

Interests:
    Economic Development (although this could change)

I just applied to USC (SPPD) for Spring '10. If i get acceptance I'll probably defer

Some other schools I'll probably apply for fall:
    UPenn
    UT Austin
    Cornell

I've got the Planetizen guide, but can anyone give me some feedback on my chances of acceptance at these schools? Also, any help with other top Economic Development schools and maybe some fallback schools would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Been lurking for a bit, but it's time to come out of hiding. This forum has been a big help to me.

Stats: NC State undergrad, 3.46 GPA, BS in Business, BA in Film Studies, graduated 2007

Work Experience: 1 year in IT at Nortel (laid off along with entire department after Chapter 11 filing!)

Applying To: UNC, Clemson, GA Tech, Rutgers, Ohio State for Fall 2010

Interests: Transportation

Anyone else here going to UNC's open house on Monday?

I considered it, but decided to go to the one on the 9th.

Quote Originally posted by Jazzman View post
    I'm also going to Monday's Open House at UNC. Glad to know there will at least be some others there. It's going to be a pretty long day for me...taking a flight from Hartford at 6:30 am.
    Last edited by warderjack; 31 Oct 2009 at 2:48 PM.

Quote Originally posted by jhawkins View post
    I considered it, but decided to go to the one on the 9th.

Yeah I would've came to that one if I weren't taking the GRE that day.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    STATS
    3.24 GPA from University of California, San Diego
    Double major in Linguistics and Public Policy
    GRE verbal - 590, quant. - 720
    Work experience includes 2 years in Dominican Republic volunteering before finishing college (unrelated to planning) and 6 months in Peru as an English teacher.

I am interested in Community Development especially as it relates to cultural landscapes, integration, and social justice. My list of schools is too long and some perhaps slightly overly ambitious, so anyone that has a suggestion... please share it.

USC, Illinois Urbana/Champaign, Illinois Chicago, Portland St, Oregon, Penn, Michigan, MIT, & Denver

Registered
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Basher View post
    Biology and Environmental Studies
    Kenyon College '10
    3.70 GPA

Semi-weak GRE: 700 Q, 580 V, 4.5 A (but I don't want to take it again)

Winter 2009: Internship at Gund Partnership: Cambridge, MA

Summer 2009: Internship Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission, Environmental Planning: Philadelphia, PA

I've been working in a quantitative ecology lab throughout college and I presented research at a conference on metabolic scaling (oddly related to Richard T.T. Forman's planning work).

I'm really interested in environmental planning, sustainable development, and may eventually go for an M. Arch.

Applying all over: OSU, U Cincinnati, UPenn, MIT, Harvard, U Michigan, UVA, V-Tech, U Houston, U Texas, Columbia (any other suggestions?)

Thanks!
    I don't know about the other programs, but I'm 1st year MUP at Michigan, and I know a few people doing the dual program with architecture, so they can get 2 degrees in 3 years instead of 4. If you're sure you want both, you might want to consider applying to both this year. Feel free to PM me if you (or anyone else) has questions about U of M.

Also, krbxtigerz: I applied right out of undergrad and got into 4 schools, and a good chunk of the people in my program are straight out of undergrad, too. A lot of schools are looking for a mix of people so I wouldn't worry.
    Last edited by Batmanda; 02 Nov 2009 at 8:38 PM. Reason: added more info

Quote Originally posted by Jazzman View post
    Hey, I believe you were sitting right next to me at the Open House today. What did you think? It wasn't quite as impressive as MIT's that I went to last week (but whose would be??) but I did think it seemed solid overall.

Quote Originally posted by warderjack View post
    Hey, I believe you were sitting right next to me at the Open House today. What did you think? It wasn't quite as impressive as MIT's that I went to last week (but whose would be??) but I did think it seemed solid overall.

Yes it must've been you.............I notice your location says you're from Connecticut, and I do remember that the guy to my left was from Connecticut. Anyway, I didn't know what to expect, I haven't been to anyone else's open house. I thought we'd get like a grand tour of the department, but maybe I was expecting too much. Nonetheless, I do feel like the questions I had were satisfactorily answered.

Did you get a chance to sit in on any of the classes? I sat in on a Land Use & Environmental Policy class afterwards (I believe that would be my concentration should I enter the program). I came in a few minutes late, but a guy who apparently is a local planner working in water resource management was speaking. I spoke to the professor afterwards, introduced myself, and gave him a sample of my work - a 15-page report I did this past summer at my internship in Birmingham on adequate public facility ordinances. He asked me if he could keep it, so hopefully he'll like what he sees and this could give me an extra boost as far as the program is concerned.

I'm also applying to Clemson and Rutgers for sure, maybe a couple of others. I really want to visit the Rutgers campus, whenever they have an open house. I definitely don't regret spending $200 for a plane ticket out here though, there's nothing like visiting the campus.

Registered
    Sep 2009

University of Illinois at Chicago Spring 2010

Has anyone heard back from UIC about their Spring 2010 application?

I got a form letter via email saying they would make a decision by November 15. Seems like they are waiting until the last minute...

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by mikeisquixotic View post
    Has anyone heard back from UIC about their Spring 2010 application?

I got a form letter via email saying they would make a decision by November 15. Seems like they are waiting until the last minute...

I also applied to UIC for Spring 2010 admission, and haven't heard anything since the email about notification by Nov. 15. Hopefully it doesn't take any longer than that. I've been accepted elsewhere, but fully intend on going to UIC. I hope we know soon!

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 135
    Last post: 07 Oct 2014, 2:33 AM
  2. Replies: 587
    Last post: 01 Apr 2014, 4:13 PM
  3. Replies: 573
    Last post: 12 May 2012, 3:29 AM
  4. Replies: 708
    Last post: 26 Jul 2011, 6:59 PM