Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Professional opportunities for urban designers (with planning background)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008

Professional opportunities for urban designers (with planning background)

I'm currently in a dual degree program for a MUP/MUD at UT-Austin. As I read more and more about urban design, I'm realizing it's predominantly a field of urban-minded architects and landscape architects. My interests aren't in the actual rendering and design process per se, but focused instead on two areas: promoting smart growth/sustainable urban form and maintaining/developing a cohesive urban fabric that recognizes context, historic resources, etc.

I have skills with design software (adobe suite, sketchup, etc), but my bigger strengths are in conceptual thinking, pulling together different ideas/people, and working within a team.

Given this, is there a place within urban design for people like me? If so, what sort of firms, organizations, etc?

Thanks!

-Brad

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Yes, and it is in the private sector working for "design" oriented firms. I currently at a planner for a design oriented firm and i specialize in urban design, policy, and public outreach. Try searching through your local apa chapter or national apa website for these firms (or send me a pm and i can give you a few national/local ones my firm competes with).
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 19 Nov 2013, 2:32 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 26 Oct 2013, 6:55 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 30 Jul 2013, 2:37 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 02 Jun 2011, 12:19 PM
  5. Replies: 1