Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Follow-up call after interview

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006

Follow-up call after interview

I had my first telephone interview last week for a planning job. After the interview, I sent thank-you notes to each of the planners who interviewed me. I think the interview ran smoothly, but I am not 200% convinced that they are 100% convinced with me.

They are looking to hire a planner within the next few weeks, and they may make up their decision without even asking for a second interview. They also asked for my references. I am going to make a follow-up call tomorrow afternoon or Wednesday morning. It is more of a formality: introducing myself, refreshing his memory of the interview, expressing interest in the job, and asking if I am still in consideration for this job.

They all thought I was overqualified for the job, so I told them this was a lateral move into a different area of planning. My biggest fear is that they have found someone who is even more overqualified than me. I don't give up easily but I don't want to come off as nagging or begging. Is there a last-ditch tactic that anyone has used to turn around their opinion, even in a follow-up telephone call? What about an interview? Most interview books focus on preparing questions and answers. With practice that is enough to get you into the second round of interviewing. I see very little advice to set yourself apart from more experienced candidates which I need to earn the offer.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I think when someone is perceived as over qualified the decision comes down to if that someone fits into the office culture...you are qualified to perform the actual work. From your interview (tough to probably tell over the phone) were the interviewers more standoffish or bubbly and outgoing? Its down to personality at this point. I think the biggest fear when hiring someone who might be over qualified is that the new hire will be a know-it-all or want to leave quickly once the next best thing comes along. In your follow up, I would try and humble and sincere tone coupled with a statement about how you forward to and are committed to a new challenge. Best of Luck friend.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    The interviewers were more bubbly and outgoing. We talked at length about the projects they worked on and I was very comfortable speaking to them, maybe too comfortable. I had the same interpretation of the "overqualified" statement. I don't downplay my experience, but I stress that my past work is in a similar type of planning and that is a lateral move. I also told them I have much to learn about the complexities of their projects and am eager to join their team. My past experience is a proven track record and demonstrates the potential to learn new skills.

But again, what can I use as leverage to convince them that I am a better fit than the more experienced competition? Yes, chemistry is a part of it. There must be some carefully crafted phrases that can be inserted in some of my responses that can trigger their thoughts, maybe subconsciously, into thinking they should hire me versus someone who has more experience.

Family Guy

Registered
    Apr 2006
    IMO opinion the die is cast. Your last chance was the thank you note where you can address anything else you want to mention. Anything you do will come as annoying.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I'm sorry for not communicating clearly in the first post, I also asked what can be done during the interview itself.

Family Guy

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Post interview follow up
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 04 Feb 2014, 5:58 PM
  2. Follow-up calls
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7