Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Pursuing a career in real estate development with a degree in planning [was:how likely is it?]

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2009

Pursuing a career in real estate development with a degree in planning [was:how likely is it?]

How likely is it to be able to pursue a career in real estate development with a masters degree in urban planning??

I'm interested in studying urban planning and I feel like it's going to be a great foundation for an area like real estate development.

Even after getting MUP, I'm willing to study real estate development in school if it's necessary. I would like to apply for MRED also if I can, but it seems like I need several years of experience, which I don't have at all. On the other hand, MUP doesn't really require experiences....

Moderator note:
    Gedunker ~
    Please use descriptive thread titles in the professional forums, thanks! Carry on!
    Last edited by Gedunker; 06 Sep 2009 at 9:20 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    You should get a degree in what you want to do. There is a reason why MRED and MUP are different degrees. Real estate developers and urban planners have different views in how they look at development and cities. Real estate developers are more business/$ driven and urban planners are more focused on the long-term public benefit. If you are really interested in urban planning, take a few classes when you go for your MRED, it will be helpful in your career. I don't know why one would want to go through the trouble of 2 masters degrees in very related fields when you only want to really practice one.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2009

MUP with real estate concentration?

is there a way to concentrate on real estate development while getting MUP??

If not, is there like a certificate/minor? I guess I can take real estate classes along with urban planning classes?

Registered
    Aug 2009
    it depends on the school,

some such as U of M have certificates that can be earned at the same time as an MUP (at no extra cost)
    http://www.tcaup.umich.edu/planning/...e_development/

some, like U of W have MUPs with concentrations in real estate
    http://www.reuw.washington.edu/programs/

some, like cornell have a dual-degree route that allows you to do two masters in 3 years
    http://aap.cornell.edu/aap/crp/progr...e-planning.cfm

so there are lots and lots of options.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 17 Mar 2011, 2:10 PM
  2. Replies: 26
    Last post: 04 Jan 2011, 7:53 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 15 Oct 2009, 5:38 AM