Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Career goals

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2008

Career goals

My prof said it was a good idea to put career goals in my portfolio, but im really struggling to find out what my goals are, all I can think of is get a job, and obviously I cant put that down, anyone have any examples of their own career goals to help me out?

Thanks

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    A portfolio is a collection of your completed work. When applying for internships or jobs, you include only those work samples that match the job description. As you build your collection of completed work, it is easier and necessary to add and subtract projects as needed.

Your personal career goals are private. It is important to have goals, but not everyone is going to support your ideas as your professor's. Focus on meeting the needs of the employer and align your goals with the goals of the company or agency. Keep in mind, you also need to pay your dues. Your first planning job may not be your dream job. Hopefully, it is a stepping stone to bigger and better things.

Hope this helps-
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I agree with nrschmid on this. Career goals should not be part of a portfolio or resume. You may get the "where do you want to be in 5 years?" question (which hopefully is going out window). I read goals in applications for their humor value. I especially liked the "to eventually become a middle manager in a large firm".

My career goals haave been (in chronological order):
    To build up my experience and credentials so that (home town) will want me as planning director.

To get out of this hell hole.

To have a responsible position closer to family.

To survive 3 more years.

Then all the stars came into allignment, and I fell into the best job one could ask for. Rebuilding a town like Greensburg was never in my sights.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    You mind if I steal this one and put it in LARGE font on my resume. I unfortunately work in one of those places where everyone holds it against you for working there.
    Much work remains to be done before we can announce our total failure to make any progress.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    My career goals haave been (in chronological order):
    To build up my experience and credentials so that (home town) will want me as planning director.

To have a responsible position closer to family.

To survive 3 more years.
    It sounds like my career exactly. Right now I'm in the survive 3 more years part to finsih up a master's degree. Then I can get back to the "Get out of this hell hole" step once again.

But seriously, for the question at hand, I don't put goals in my resume in case my goals don't coincide with the interviewer. I think it would stop me from getting the interview call. I have no problem giving people my goals at an interview - even for the lame where do you want to be in 5 years question. The correct answer is either not here or taking over your job - neither one the interviewer will like.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Interview question:

Where do you see yourself in 2-3 years and what are your career goals?
    My goal is to grow and learn more as a professional.

Family Guy

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2008
    thanks for the answers, but I wasnt talking about career goals on my resume, I was talking about if it was good to put career goals in my portfolio, not resume.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I was talking about if it was good to put career goals in my portfolio, not resume.
    The same applies

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by buckie33 View post
    thanks for the answers, but I wasnt talking about career goals on my resume, I was talking about if it was good to put career goals in my portfolio, not resume.
    Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    A portfolio is a collection of your completed work. When applying for internships or jobs, you include only those work samples that match the job description.
    And that's your answer. Career goals are not meant to be located in a portfolio. Your portfolio should be used to showcase what you are capable of, not what you can strive to be in 5, 10 years down the road.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Career goals are not meant to be located in a portfolio. Your portfolio should be used to showcase what you are capable of, not what you can strive to be in 5, 10 years down the road.
    How would one even show one's career goals in a portfolio? A picture of the current Planning Director from the City where you want to end up? A sketch of perfect blue shirt and khakis which you'll wear when you become a professional planner?

Conduct a visioning session for yourself to determine your career goals?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Conduct a visioning session for yourself to determine your career goals?
    Would this include a public comment session where one could say "think of the children?"
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    How would one even show one's career goals in a portfolio?
    The original post on this thread says "my prof said it was a good idea to put career goals in my portfolio." That could be as simple as writing them out, which again, sends the wrong message to the recipient. Keep text to a minimum in a portfolio, unless it is a writing sample. Let the work speak for itself: lengthy descriptions, including a discussion of goals, distracts the viewer.

Instead of using the portfolio to describe your career goals, the portfolio can be used to demonstrate your potential for learning new skills. I think this should not be spelled out in the portfolio itself, but used as a talking point during an interview, especially when your portfolio is not 200% aligned with the skills needed in the job description. For example, if you have a design background and a design portfolio but you are interested in an economic development position. The portfolio could be used to demonstrate potential. However, you also need to have a thorough understanding of the job itself and convince the interviewer that you understand the components of ED (development impact analysis, industry targeting, fiscal impact analysis, etc.). It is still a long shot, and I would still only include portfolio samples related for ED, if possible.

Family Guy

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Keep in mind that profs are located in ivory towers where theorizing about stuff works very well.
    Still recalling one prof who had our class discuss a zoning/property boundary issue. We all suggested code enforcement; the answer he wanted was: "have the neighbors talk to each other." Yeah, that works.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I think the answer lies in the words "My prof said...". Always take job seeking advice from someone who has never worked in the real world.

There is no reason to include your career goals. If anywhere, touch on them briefly in your cover letter. For example, "This position appeals to me because it will use my skills in zoning enforcement and help me to advance my long-term career goal to become an expert on zoning issues related to the regulation of non-illuminated monument signs with changeable type."

It makes no sense to put them in your portfolio, which is simply a few representative examples of your prior work. Most employers will wonder why you bothered, and some may be irritated that you waste their time by sending irrelevant information for them to review.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I agree with Cardinal's answer.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 07 Oct 2008, 12:22 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 01 Jun 2007, 7:02 PM
  3. Career goals
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 18 Jan 2007, 12:17 PM
  4. Travel Goals