Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Site plan review question

Registered
    Aug 2009

Site plan review question

Our Zoning Ordinance when discussing site plan review does not say anything about the Planning Commission. It only says that the Zoning Administrator will consider the following items when making a decision.

Do all site plan reviews go before Planning Commissions?

I appreciate the help

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2007
    Sounds like not - site plans are administrative.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    It really depends on the nuts and bolts of your regulations. There's no general answer. Some places require just about every site plan to go before a commission even for what amounts to an administrative review of zoning compliance.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    They are usually administrative only. If you have design guidelines, that might go before the planning commission or a design review board that often includes PC members.

Site plans usually involve standards that IMO never should be before the Commission: drainage, fire lane access, landscaping arrangement. I have seen a PC that wanted to waive the drainage standards for "economic development".

In my fair town, site plans do go before the PC. We only discuss those items pertinent to our Sustainable Master Plan. Within those parameters, it works. Also, for a zoning change inconsistent with the plan, a site plan is required with the zone change application. Conditional use applications must include a site plan for commission review.
    Last edited by mike gurnee; 08 Sep 2009 at 12:59 PM. Reason: spelling oops

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Depends on the enabling legislation in your state.

In NH, all site plans (if a community has site plan regulations) are heard by the Planning Board.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

I agree with the previous posters. Our ordinance only requires Commission approval if 1) the site is over 5 acres or 2) if it is a second structure on the parcel.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Feb 2002
    MI treats site plans as a discretionary decision and so its up to the local unit of government to decide how they are approved.

It sounds like your ordinance simply requires administrative review/approval. My previous place of employment had all site plans go through the PC; where I am now (larger, more urban city) handles them administratively.

((Not sure how impressive (ha!) this is or not, but I knew "Thumb City" was from MI just by the name alone, but was thinking it was Bad Axe or something ))

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Planning Board

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    You've got administrative staff review there.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Staff Review.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jun 2007
    In addition to the Zoning Ordinances, check with your organization's charter and appropriate state legislation.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2009
    Our Z.O. requires site plan review by the Plan Commission and Village Board for all multi-family and all non-residential developments.

I've argued until I'm blue in the face for admin review of single parcel developments of less than 1 acre. However, the appointed and elected officials want to be in a position to respond when a resident asks them "how did you let THAT get built".

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Staff review here in my part of Oregon. Appealable to Planning Commission and then to City Council, and the to the state Land Use Board of Appeals.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Big box preliminary site plan review
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 02 Feb 2007, 5:26 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 24 Oct 2006, 3:17 PM
  3. Site plan review timelines
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 04 Mar 2006, 1:23 AM