Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Anyone going to the Chicago Upper Midwest Conference?

Anyone going to the Chicago Upper Midwest Conference?

Though I rarely post here anymore, I figured I would see if anyone is going to this conference. Seems like it should be a good one with all of the mobile workshops instead of sitting in a hotel listening to some boring presentations.

It might be cool to meet up at a bar or something if people are going.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I am not.

Reasons -
    1. Have enough CM hrs, even carrying over the max allowed 10 hrs.
    2. Would have to pay for it out of my own pocket.
    3. Close to 6 hr drive to get there (way down state)
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I'm not going because the mobile workshops are all over the city, and I have seen many of these neighborhoods already. I would actually prefer sitting in a hotel listening to boring presentations.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    I'm going! Running the session on TODs in the south suburbs. I'm also doing a table at the PowerPlanningPalooza. Doing dinner in Pilsen at the Mexican resturant on Friday night. Yum!

Quote Originally posted by southsideamy View post
    I'm going! Running the session on TODs in the south suburbs. I'm also doing a table at the PowerPlanningPalooza. Doing dinner in Pilsen at the Mexican resturant on Friday night. Yum!
    Cool, I signed up for that mobile workshop when I registered. We are looking at a potential commuter rail stop in my City and it looked like that one would be the most useful.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Repo Man View post
    Cool, I signed up for that mobile workshop when I registered. We are looking at a potential commuter rail stop in my City and it looked like that one would be the most useful.
    Where are they thinking of adding commuter rail in Wisconsin? As far as I know the only commuter rail station in the state is the Metra terminus in Kenosha.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    You'll get to see some beautiful stations and TOD plans in various stages of development. I guess that attendance is so low that we have less than 20 signed up for the workshop - it will be a small but mighty group. We've got some add-ons that will make the session interesting and fun (I'm not a fan of mobile workshops, so we're trying to make it as interesting as possible).

Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    Where are they thinking of adding commuter rail in Wisconsin? As far as I know the only commuter rail station in the state is the Metra terminus in Kenosha.
    The plan would be to have trains running from that Meta station in Kenosha up to Milwaukee with stops in Kenosha, Sommers, Racine, Caledonia, Oak Creek (where I work), South Milwaukee, Cudahy/St.Francis, and 2 stops in Milwaukee.

More info here:

http://www.sewrpc.org/KRMonline/

- Homer Simpson

You'll get to see some beautiful stations and TOD plans in various stages of development. I guess that attendance is so low that we have less than 20 signed up for the workshop - it will be a small but mighty group. We've got some add-ons that will make the session interesting and fun (I'm not a fan of mobile workshops, so we're trying to make it as interesting as possible).
    Seems like a lot of dislike for Mobile workshops in this thread (ok well only 2 posters). I like them. I have sat through hundreds of power point presentations and couldn't stomach another 2 days of them. Most of the presenters are dull (sorry presenters) and you really don't get a feel for the context, scale, and feel of whatever project they are talking about.

I know some sessions need to be in a classroom type setting like ethics and law, but when talking about something like TODs, I think it is brilliant to not only take people to the sites, but to have them get to the site via train. Talk about getting a feel for a project.

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The plan would be to have trains running from that Meta station in Kenosha up to Milwaukee with stops in Kenosha, Sommers, Racine, Caledonia, Oak Creek (where I work), South Milwaukee, Cudahy/St.Francis, and 2 stops in Milwaukee.

More info here:

http://www.sewrpc.org/KRMonline/
    I think I've heard about Metra going to Milwaukee, I just wasn't sure how much of a definite that is. Hopefully this will actually happen, I just wonder if you'll be able to ride all the way to Milwaukee with a $5 weekend pass. That would certainly give the $45 (RT) Amtrak Hiawatha a run for its money.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I'll be at the conference along with several of the planners from my department. I think I signed up for an architecture tour and I can't remember what the other one was. I'll be leaving Friday afternoon, though.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Oh, Rygor! You'll miss the tour of our Crime Free housing ordinance! I knew you were so anxious to see that......

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Oh, Rygor! You'll miss the tour of our Crime Free housing ordinance! I knew you were so anxious to see that......
    Well....I guess I COULD just cancel the plans to go to my buddy's wedding.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 23 Jul 2008, 10:05 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 May 2008, 3:05 PM
  3. Upper Midwest Conference
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 34
    Last post: 05 Nov 2007, 4:19 PM
  4. Replies: 10