Urban planning community

Poll results: What is your preferred weekend breakfast?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Eggs, bacon and possum

7 38.89%
  • pancakes and possum

2 11.11%
  • waffles and possum

1 5.56%
  • biscuits, gravy and possum

2 11.11%
  • breakfast buffet with possum

2 11.11%
  • cold cereal and possum

1 5.56%
  • pop tart or other food on the run with possum

0 0%
  • grits and possum

0 0%
  • Nothing more than coffee and possum

1 5.56%
  • Just possum, thanks

0 0%
  • Other breakfast item involving possum (explain below)

3 16.67%
Multiple choice poll
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Breakfast of Champions

Registered
    Feb 2004

Breakfast of Champions

Do you typically bother with breakfast in the morning on weekdays? I value my (usually inadequate) sleep, so I’m usually good to go with nothing more than coffee, or if I’m particularly hungry maybe something on the order of a pop tart consumed while getting in the car. On weekends, though, I’ll frequently treat myself to bacon, eggs and hash browns. If I’m really peckish and it’s a weekend following payday, I might even take the family out to a breakfast buffet. The choices around here are pretty limited for decent buffets (this may be one of the few areas that a place like Old Country Buffet shines). How about you – if you’re going to do breakfast right what do you like to do? Dim sum? Possum and grits? An extra big piece of fruit? Hair of the dog?

Last edited by Maister; 11 Sep 2009 at 1:09 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    where's the poll?!?!
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Haven't we had this thread before ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Haven't we had this thread before ?
    I started a similar thread about maybe 4 years ago. Looks like BUN did one too. Go ahead. Participate. You'll survive.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Greasier is always better when it comes to breakfast (oatmeal sucks)

I swear there had to be at least 5 or 6 eggs in the breakfast burrito I just ate

Registered
    Aug 2001
    When I would go into an office to work my breakfast usually consisted of a muffin consumed at my desk. I still eat at my desk at home, but I more likely to have a couple eggs, or oatmeal, or cereal. Since I do not have to drive, I do not pass a muffin store. This is probably a good thing for my waistline.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Possum and grits?
    Seriously?

Possum and grits?

Seriously?

I thought you were better than this, Maister. Everyone knows that squirrel is the preferred breakfast meat down South.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    May 2004
    I'm one of the annoying people eating breakfast at my work desk in the morning. When I'm not chomping down on a good meal of possum and grits its usually yogurt and granola.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I won't answer unless a poll is involved

Registered
    Apr 2009
    Small breakfast, usually consisting of a bagel/english muffin and two cups of coffee, plus some juice... usually eaten in front of my laptop, where I can check newspapers, political blogs, fantasy sports teams, etc.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    The usual breakfast is two pieces of toast or a bowl of oatmeal. For special occasions such as Sunday or when someone else is buying I prefer my possum sunny-side up with hash brown possum fries, a side of possum bacon, a possum biscuit and possum gravy. Copious amounts of high octane possum coffee to wash it all down. Then I go home and play possum in front of the television.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    poptart or breakfast bar on the weekdays (unless there's a fresh roadkill like opossum, skunk or racoon I can find one the way into the office)
    bacon, egg and cheese sandwich on Saturdays (before the round of golf)
    french toast or eggs on Sunday with the little one while mommy sleeps in (before we get ready for church)
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Weekdays it is usually Instant Breakfast and maybe toast.

On weekends, I make breakfast for the family. Saturday, it is cinnamon rolls, scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage. Sunday it is fried eggs, biscuits, and bacon. Blueberries and bananas are the optional fruit portion.

Last nigh my son wanted breakfast for dinner - so it was pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Last nigh my son wanted breakfast for dinner - so it was pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage.
    You're a good dad. I'm a big advocate of breakfast for any meal.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Breakfast is often whatever the kids leave on their plates (you want a side of preschool germs with that?)

Weekends are pancakes and french toast. If I eat out and they have it, porridge is great- hard to make, yummy to eat. Perfect food to order out.

And I also occasionally indulge in breakfast for dinner (wasn't that in the movie Juno?)

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I have to eat breakfast in the morning. Usually I'll have a bowl of cereal. On weekends, maybe oatmeal or toast. And coffee... always.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    You're a good dad. I'm a big advocate of breakfast for any meal.
    Breakfast - its not just for breakfast anymore.

Breakfast for the kids is generally cereal with milk and maybe once a week something else like french toast, oatmeal, sausage, bacon, etc. My son is becoming increasingly persnickety about breakfast - no eggs, no bacon (wha?), no oatmeal, no possom. Sausage and cereal is all he'll eat without being coerced. Well, that and pancakes or waffles, but those are weekend items - too involved for our AM antics. Our daughter, though, will eat anything - bananas, eggs, bacon, sausage, cereal, oatmeal. You name it, she'll try it. Even possom.

I usually eat like Masswich or just cereal and milk. Maybe once or twice a week we'll make eggs with salsa or green chile, but mostly there's no time. I don't get very excited about the cereal, but I can't really go without eating anything until lunch. So if its that or nothing, I'll eat the damn O's with a surly face and be done with it.

Today I got a breakfast burrito from the little coffee place in my building. That was a real treat - I very very rarely buy breakfast. But its Friday and its been a busy busy week.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Maister,

I know you come from the frigid North, so you don't know any better. But, as a boy raised in the Deep South, I need to point out that possum is never eaten for breakfast.

Here is why: the best time to catch a possum is when it is raiding your garbage can (usually around 10 p.m. or so). After you have brained the possum with a shovel and cleaned it, the meat needs to age a little before it is eaten. A few hours hanging up in the garage is good.

So possum is eaten for lunch, or possibly dinner. Never for breakfast.

I am kidding, of course. I am Cajun and we are accused of eating damn near anything. But I would never, NEVER eat a possum. Just looking at them gives me the willies!

I've never eaten raccoon either, but that is probably because no one ever offered.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Maister,

I know you come from the frigid North, so you don't know any better. But, as a boy raised in the Deep South, I need to point out that possum is never eaten for breakfast.
    I tried to tell him that...we just do not eat possum for breakfast. Squirrel, sure, but never possum.

I voted bacon & eggs & possum. That's a good weekend one for me - eggs, bacon, grits, toast, coffee, no possum...during the week it's usually just toast or something along those lines if I decide to have anything other than coffee.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    French toast with turkey bacon if R.T. cooks. Fava beans, hard boiled eggs, and pita bread if I do. It's a classic middle eastern breakfast in case you are wondering.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    I tried to tell him that...we just do not eat possum for breakfast. Squirrel, sure, but never possum.
    Well then how do you explain this (guaranteed unretouched) photo of a box of Pop Tarts taken last Thursday in Memphis?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Well then how do you explain this (guaranteed unretouched) photo of a box of Pop Tarts taken last Thursday in Memphis?
    Dude...it's Memphis.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Dude...it's Memphis.
    I screwed up, didn't I? Probably shoulda went with Valdosta, huh?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Maister,

I know you come from the frigid North, so you don't know any better. But, as a boy raised in the Deep South, I need to point out that possum is never eaten for breakfast
    I tried to tell him that...we just do not eat possum for breakfast.
    Perhaps I can help since I've lived approximately half my life in the Frigid North and the other half in the Deep South. Maister is almost certainly confused between the Opossum which frequents the Frigid North and the possum which is native to the Deep South. While similar in both habit and aspect to the possum, the Opossum is a hearty breakfast dish item for sunlight deprived natives of the land of permafrost and frozen tundra. It is in no way comparable to the possum which should be always be allowed to first simmer in the benevolent warmth of the Southern sun.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I screwed up, didn't I? Probably shoulda went with Valdosta, huh?
    What my cousins do on their own time is their business.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 17 Dec 2010, 7:52 PM
  2. Bed and breakfast inns
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 06 Mar 2006, 2:36 PM
  3. Replies: 41
    Last post: 24 Jan 2006, 12:02 AM
  4. Replies: 5