Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Tell me about McGill MUP (Montreal)

Registered
    May 2009

Tell me about McGill MUP (Montreal)

Anyone here attend McGill for their MUP and would like to share their experiences? Program strength and weaknesses, ease of living in Montreal, etc.

I'm considering McGill as one of my options for grad school. Their website is comprehensive and makes a good case (though honestly, most schools' websites do), but there is little third-party information available. For example, they, like every other Canadian school, didn't respond to Planetizen's questionnaire, so there's little information in the catalog.

From what I've heard about the program from the website and other sources, they seem to have a comprehensive program that doesn't necessarily focus on one element of planning, except for their transportation (one of, but not the only, things I'm interested) and design concentrations. Plus, if I understand this correctly, one receives planinnig association memberships in both Canada (through the Ordre des urbanistes du Québec (OUQ) and the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP)) and in the US (through the ASPC and APA).

They're also affiliated with both the school of architecture and the widely-respected school of engineering, which is a huge plus for me.

On top of that, though I haven't been yet, I'm told Montreal is one hell of a city.

I'll be visiting Montreal either late October or early November to visit the school (they have an open house on November 9th that I'd like to try to attend) and meet some people myself, but in the meantime, is there anyone here who attended McGill for planning or knows something/anything about the program they'd like to share?

If not, if anyone knows of any alumni that they could put me in contact with I'd really appreciate it as well.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2007
    I think it's a pretty small program compared to most of the American ones. There are about 20 students in first year. I'm only a month in so I don't know how much help I can be, but I feel like it's really hands on. We have 3 studios and you're actually going out into the field, collecting data, and figuring out for yourself how complicated planning really is!

You can be a student member of APA, but it is not APA accredited. No worries though, you just have to work 3 years (vs. 2 years) before you can take the AICP exam.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. School: McGill McGill MUP
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 21 Jan 2013, 2:19 PM
  2. McGill vs. Dalhousie
    Student Commons
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 11 Apr 2011, 2:35 PM
  3. Planning at McGill U.
    Student Commons