Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Can you have a neighbours house condemned for not meeting building regulations?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Can you have a neighbours house condemned for not meeting building regulations?

My neighbours house in an inner-city suburb of Brisbane not only extends onto my property according to the survey plans, but it is in an delapidated state and getting worse. The weatherboard timber exterior cladding in some parts is rotting so much that there are holes forming in the cladding. Makeshift timber 'planks' have been nailed onto the outside to tentatively hold the corner of the roof up. The rest of the house is generally ramshackle, and it is a hideously ugly house with zero street appeal in what is otherwise quite an affluent suburb (a relic of times past prior to gentrification of the area!).

Not only are we concerned that it may literally fall on our house one day as it is so close, but we feel the hideousness of the house will affect the property price of our home!

Is there anything that can be done .. preferably anonymously?

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Have you contacted your Council yet?
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Mar 2009
    I guess your Council must have a policy on this. I mean if it is a danger to the community and to the inhabitants wouldn't it be for the best?

Is it beyond repair?

They might be very sentimental about it also

Registered
    Mar 2008
    Call your council and ask for the building services department.

Condemning an old building in a gentrified area has very little to do with planning.

Registered
    Dec 2009

In America that would be phrased as "Can you have your cat killed horribly by someone very personally angry at you?".

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2003
    Issue number 1 is your statement that your neighbor's house is partly on your property. That is not kosher, and probably not legal--can you prove that it's encroaching on your land, and that there are absolutely no deeds or easements or legal, contractual agreements predating your time there that allowed the neighbor's encroachment? If you can, than you may have a case to force that house to be moved.

Have you actually with your neighbor about the encroachment and the risk of building collapse? If you did, were you civil and tried to work with them ("I'm worried that one or both of us might get hurt/Can I help?"), or were you hostile ("Yo pr!ck, your cr@pshack is on ma land and about to fall down on my house, get it fixed!")?

If working something out with the neighbor RE building safety and clearing up boundary issue doesn't work, you might get traction with the council, even at the cost of your cat.

Frankly, "ugly" is not a valid excuse to throw someone out of their home.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2003
    Edit: should read "Have you actually talked with your neighbor..."

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 07 Dec 2006, 8:27 PM
  2. Building a house....
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 59
    Last post: 04 Oct 2005, 4:54 PM