Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Urban regional planning vs. landscape architecture

Registered
    Sep 2009

Urban regional planning vs. landscape architecture

Hey. I'm interested in Urban land use and design. I am wondering if I ought to go the planning route, or go with landscape architecture instead, since I am interested in design and the bits and pieces that fall into the final product of an urban environment. I am just wondering about the roles of people with these professions, in hopes of deciding what kind of degree would put me into a career I'd enjoy. The next half of my question, then, is what schools have BOTH? Or good programs in either field?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Regional planning is heavily into policy and number crunching. It is quite rare if you are a regional planner and are able to be involved with the 'design bits and pieces'.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    A Masters in urban planning with a concentration in urban design could give you the necessary design skills to work as an urban designer in the private sector.
    it depends the school and your particular work there (your portfolio).

If you want to strickly work on the design aspect and not look into the decision making and financial issues then you should indeed look at an Arch or LA degree.

Myself I like to be involved in the concept and decision-making process, get a bit more of the big picture.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    MArch or MLA. MUDs are mixed bags and are sometimes better if you couple it with an MArch or an MLA. See previous posts.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    I second getting the MLA. If you are interested in design, it's better to have a MLA degree with extra courses in urban design than vice versa. It'll allow you to build up that all-important portfolio and gain internships at the right places.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2007
    a MLA degree is definitely going to open more doors for you if you are interested in urban design but keep in mind that a lot of the state schools in less urban settings tend to be ecology-oriented. if you are only interested in urban design, you will be better off to study in a city where there are more opportunities to work on more urban projects.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 04 Mar 2011, 6:47 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 11 May 2009, 11:10 AM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last post: 04 Sep 2008, 1:01 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 30 Aug 2008, 10:18 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 Jan 2007, 8:27 AM