Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Best magazine/reading material to learn about planning?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2009

Best magazine/reading material to learn about planning?

What is the best magazine/reading material to find out about the urban planning field?
    Is there such magazine that shows what is being done by urban planners? I really would like to understand the field in detail before I actually consider applying to graduate schools in urban planning. THANKS FOR all the help!!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Planning Magazine is a good resource, which can be found at the APA's website, www.planning.org .

Outside of that, there are many other magazines that indirectly discuss the field of planning like the Urban Land Institutes stuff... http://www.uli.org/ResearchAndPublic...UrbanLand.aspx

You can always get information on certain planning movements like new urbanism as well through specific publications... good luck.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I like the New Urban News from the CNU and ULI puts out a very nice magazine called Urban Land.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I really like the Planetizen website (not really a magazine, but a site that post planning articles from around the country) and citiwire.net. APA's site is doing something similar with a 'newsfeed' of planning articles on its front page.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Planning is hit or miss. Urban Land is usually good. Preservation is another favorite, although a bit specialized. There are many good newsletters and publications from organizations around the country, often dealing with specific topics or addressing a specific region.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1918
    Last post: 15 Jun 2015, 12:05 AM
  2. Reading List: Urban Planning
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 21 Oct 2013, 11:49 AM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last post: 20 Dec 2012, 12:59 PM
  4. Replies: 178