Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Master in urban and regional planning - design background.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008

Master in urban and regional planning - design background.

Ok, so let me give you some profile of myself, then cross my fingers someone might have some unique and helpful advice for me.

I am 26 years old, graduate of a well respected state college with my five year bachelor's of landscape architecture and have two years of work experience in a large landscape architecture and what I like to call "land" planning firm (no policy all design based). I have been at a bit of a crossroads as to what direction I would like to further advance my career and cannot relinquish the idea of pursuing my post graduate education.

Through my research I have leaned mostly towards Urban Planning, with that I have found sub interests in Historic Preservation, Growth Management, and Urban Design/Architecture. In conclusion I see myself benefiting from a master's degree in Urban Planning the most; either in the specialization of historic preservation, environmental planning / land use, or urban design. Ultimately I would like to someday work for a consultancy agency whose work would consist of urban preservation and growth management (national trust main street program, global green, etc.). While I would like to hold on to my design background as much as possible I would like to become almost a hybrid between the planning and design professions.

So my questions for the Cyburbia world would be this. Do you see a degree in urban planning benefiting me? Is this a route I could take without more education or is my background in Landscape Architecture significant? Top programs I have looked at are Columbia, U Penn, and Harvard. Do you feel the additional money needed for tuition is really worth it or should I just keep with public state programs (there are a lot in Florida)?

Any help is appreciated

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Some of your career goals may not require an MUP immediately. Consider a certificate in growth management or planning and see where that goes.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 02 Jun 2011, 11:19 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 22 Aug 2009, 8:33 AM
  3. Urban design without an architecture background?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 11 Mar 2008, 4:30 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 04 Jan 2008, 1:15 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last post: 04 Apr 2006, 4:02 PM