Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How many years of meeting minutes?

Registered
    Jan 2009

How many years of meeting minutes?

I usually keep just one year of meeting minutes on the website. It's easy for me and no one really looks at the things anyway. I have one "resident" that must see every thing the county ever put out and it should all be on the website despite the fact he can get it free on request through the email. As a small county we don't want to overload our website with information people aren't using. So how many years worth of minutes do you people keep online? Are you a bigger city with the resources to archive everything?
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    My rule of thumb has always been current year plus the past 2 years (minutes, agendas, etc) on the website, everything prior to that available upon request to the department.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    As a small county we don't want to overload our website with information people aren't using.
    Information that people aren't accessing doesn't impact your server load at all! It does use disk spaceóbut you're going to store it on a disk someplace anyway.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    our county does not keep meeting minutes on our website. They are separately stored either on cassette tapes or on separate electronic storage. If someone wants meeting minutes they can request copies at a nominal fee, or listen to the tapes themselves in our office.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I'm finding this is an all or nothing type of deal. Some seam to have a system like darnoldy is talking about. Since it's electronic it's available. We seem to rent our website space so it's limited. Most around me seem to keep just the last minutes up if you're lucky. Since this is just one over zealous citizen that likes to hoard paperwork and not do a free records request I'm turning it over to IT so they can use this as an excuse to get the extra capacity they need anyway. I just don't want to put crap on the website for one idiot, but I think I'm going to lose that one.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by darnoldy View post
    Information that people aren't accessing doesn't impact your server load at all! It does use disk spaceóbut you're going to store it on a disk someplace anyway.
    ...and I found that space requirement minimal back when I did this sort of thing. You'll find that taking the time to delete old minutes takes time away from something that is a higher priority.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 01 Mar 2012, 1:34 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 10 Jan 2011, 1:56 PM
  3. 500 years forward or 500 years back?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 08 Apr 2010, 5:06 PM
  4. Automating meeting minutes
    Information Technology