Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Austin, Texas: East Side - where hipsters, Hispanics and bicycle fanatics meet

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Austin, Texas: East Side - where hipsters, Hispanics and bicycle fanatics meet

Hey, it almost rhymes!

Anyhow, it's late, so I won't type much. Here's the East Side of Austin, or at least the section immediately east of downtown. Like so many other East Sides in so many other American cities, Austin's East Side was considered the rough part of town. With the high price of real estate close to central Austin, and an influx of hipsters and others who are more tolerant of gritty urban conditions, the East Side is experiencing rapid gentrification, yet still maintains much of its old barrio flavor.

There is still something of a stigma attached to Austin's East Side, though. The city sprawls to the north, south and west, but to the east, farms, fields, and undeveloped land lay just minutes from downtown.

The East Side seems to be home to a large number of bicycle activists, with bike stores, clubs and organizations being a common sight. Why they are drawn to the East Side, or whether I'm experiencing selection bias, I don't know.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2003
    East Austin.....love it!

Registered
    Jun 2009
    You're right about the bikes. I also love the proponderence of murals on the walls. Some of them are quite good and/or strange.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

I have to say that this is very very very different than my what impression of hip cool Autin was up until now.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Many of these pictures make me think of a little rural crossroads hamlet not a central urban neighborhood of a major city and State capital.

Apart from being a full-on barrio until recently, this area has to have been a low income/industrial area from inception.

It looks pretty cool though.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Cool. I've never been there, but it looks like a much more interesting place than I'd imagined.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post

Veloise likes these.
    Something about the Dia de los Muertos influence has great appeal for me. For many years my aunt had a huge spreading prickly pear in her North Dallas front yard.

BANNED
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Dang, looks very alluring there!

Love the style

Registered
    Dec 2009
    Seeing the pictures of those old houses reminds me of the discussion thread here about the New Geography article on aging housing stock, and reminded me of an advantage cities with older housing have.

Though the older housing may not measure up as far as amenities, having an abundance of it allows for an interesting mix of people. Those who can afford it, build newer townhomes or modernize the older homes while the older housing maintains accessibility for those who can't. The result is an eclectic and interesting mix of different walks of life, like the neighborhood depicted in the pictures above. That is at least until the townhomes get overbuilt and displace the bungalows...

BANNED
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally posted by GButler View post
    Seeing the pictures of those old houses reminds me of the discussion thread here about the New Geography article on aging housing stock, and reminded me of an advantage cities with older housing have.

Though the older housing may not measure up as far as amenities, having an abundance of it allows for an interesting mix of people. Those who can afford it, build newer townhomes or modernize the older homes while the older housing maintains accessibility for those who can't. The result is an eclectic and interesting mix of different walks of life, like the neighborhood depicted in the pictures above. That is at least until the townhomes get overbuilt and displace the bungalows...
    Yeah I agree, the atmosphere it creates is very interesting indeed.

Registered
    May 2005
    Man, I sure do miss Austin, now. I lived there in 1994-1996. A lot has changed (I have been back since) but these images capture that hard to pinpoint element that made it such an interesting place to live. I want to go to there (but not during the height of the summer...)
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Love seeing the pictures of Austin, a place I have never been. While it shares much of the hipster reputation of some east coast burgs, boy does it look different.

The little concrete pieces with faces by the railroad tracks!! I love that... cool neighborhood

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Austin strikes me as a hipsterized Orlando in terms of the built environment.

Registered
    May 2013
    @wahday - you're right about not being here during the heat of summer. It's brutal. Much has changed in terms of building, gentrifying the east side, heavy almost unbearable traffic, and on the positive side lots of business and economic growth.

@hilldweller - "hipsterized Orlando in terms of the built environment." I've only been through Orlando briefly. Is it hipsterized?

-Clint
    Moderator note:
    (Dan) Signature link deleted.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 22 Jun 2013, 12:17 PM
  2. Buffalo - East Side
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 27 Mar 2005, 12:02 AM
  3. Replies: 2