Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Involving kids in the planning proccess

Registered
    Sep 2009

Involving kids in the planning proccess

Hello, I am a planning intern in the city of morgantown planning department in WV, I was given an assignment by the director of planning to find ways to get children involved in planning. Basically i need ideas....... school curriculum, activities for children, anything is fine. Thanks for the help.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by fmanlysp View post
    Hello, I am a planning intern in the city of morgantown planning department in WV, I was given an assignment by the director of planning to find ways to get children involved in planning. Basically i need ideas....... school curriculum, activities for children, anything is fine. Thanks for the help.
    Start with the school districts. If you can, tie into international walk to school day which is october 7. Great way to learn about neighborhoods, safety, etc all rolled into one. I have more ideas since we are in contract with a City that requires outreach to the school(s) within the city limits for a downtown/transportation corridor enhancement project so see me at the pm.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Aug 2002
    This topic has come up before... Take a look at this thread, for example.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Look online for WV's academic standards. The best way to tie planning in is to work with what the state department of education standards, especially in geography and environmental studies. This will give you something concrete to follow, and teachers will be more likely to incorporate your plan into their lessons.

Registered
    Jul 2002

Development for Kids

I recently was invited to a small (15 kids - aged 6 to 11) public school in NSW Australia. I handed out an A3 sized application form (doctored up with simple words). It had a large space to draw their proposal (ie site plan). The proposal was to be somewhere on the school grounds so the site plan already had the external fences, buildings ( all 3 of them!) and the adjoining road.
    I presented the case that they were now all developers and it was their individual job to think of something new on the school grounds. Then think of two potentialimpacts eg noise, erosion. Then how did they identify the impacts and what step to minimise the impact. (ie noise - limit hours of use)

They were then required to draw on the site plan where their proposal was and a sketch on a separate piece of paper of the proposal.

They also had to fill out the application form - ie Applicant's name, What they wanted, how much would it cost (interesting answers on that one! - $10 for a new classroom!!)

They then had to present the application to the Council Planner (me) for review (including spelling and drawing quality) and the application fee (play money) but no bribes accepted.
    I took my approval stamps and stamp the application and plans for approval.
    To complete the activity each child had to present the application front of the class and the class voted whether to approve each development as "resident representatives".

It was a complete success and lots of fun and learning ivolved. Subsequently, one week later one of the kid's parents brought in another application by her child for a sandpit at home. I therefore had to approve the development with a series of conditions. ie Snadpit is only to be used during daylight hours. Sandpit usage is only permitted after all required chores have been satisfactorily completed. After each play session, all toys are to be collected and placed in the designed toys area so as to minimise long term damgae caused by weather elements.
    The parent was very thankful for the approval, particulay all the conditions which she got her child to read aloud.

Registered
    Sep 2009
    thanks for all the your suggestions

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Visioning: what is cool; what is gross in your neighborhood? It works.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Urban Planning books for kids
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Feb 2009, 1:29 PM
  2. Kids - Planning Summer Vacations
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 32
    Last post: 23 Feb 2007, 8:35 AM
  3. Planning for Career and Kids
    Friday Afternoon Club