Thread: Artilce about clotheslines being an issue

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Artilce about clotheslines being an issue

HEADLINE: Clotheslines a hang-up for some communities
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...heslines_N.htm

HIGHLIGHTS:
    Switching to clothesline and drying racks saves energy, but residents can get in hot water with associations, landlords or towns that see clotheslines as eyesores. Now, a growing number of states, from Maine to Hawaii are stepping in to override local laws and rules.

What we're talking about here is a cultural shift," says Alexander Lee, founder of pro-clothesline group Project Laundry List
    Project Laundry List: http://www.laundrylist.org/

So according to the article do you see them as an eysore or hazard or no problem ? I don't see them as a problem.

Does your fair community have any codes for or against them ? Does not address them at all.

What about overriding HOA rules ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Haven't heard any complaints here. I use a clothesline myself. It's great to avoid using the dryer, especially in the summer months in Texas. Rather use that electricity to cool the house. Besides, on a sunny day, clothes dry faster outside anyways.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

In my condo complex, we cannot put anything on our doors, cannot hang any signs from the windows, and the lining of drapes/shades must be white. It is physically impossible to put out laundry here.
    Last edited by Gotta Speakup; 09 Sep 2009 at 3:59 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    My city has no codes, but my HOA says keep it in the back yard. Since everyone has a back yard this is no problem.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    When I lived in suburban Albany, I dried clothes outside all the time because I had one of those "trolly" systems so I could stand on the back deck, hang the clothes on the line, and reel them out to the tall pole in the middle of the back yard.

I was going to set one up here between the house and the garage, but I'm afraid that the birds will poop on my laundry since they use the garage and the nearby ash tree as roosts to swoop down on the bird feeders! Since I havea pond, a choke-cherry tree regularly filled with fruit, and a row of Norway spruces, I get many more birds than I did in Albany.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Interesting - I just read a related article about how some homeowners' associations have made it difficult for residents to "go green," whether it's putting up clothelines or using rain barrels.

Homeowners Associations Thwart Efforts to Get Green

In my old place...

The neighbors across the street were over for a cookout. After a bottle of wine, we thought we should run a line across the street (we both lived in 4th floor walk up units, the street has two lanes in each direction with parking). Just to annoy the landmarks commission.

We never did it, but it would have been fun!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Clothing lines must have been an issue at one time in some areas, but if they were just confined to rear yards, I con't understand how they would be seen as eyesores. That is, except in parts of the country where rear yards tend not to be fenced off, or where fencing is mostly low-impact. Did people dry their clothes in front yards at one time, where it became a nuisance?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Clothing lines must have been an issue at one time in some areas, but if they were just confined to rear yards, I con't understand how they would be seen as eyesores. That is, except in parts of the country where rear yards tend not to be fenced off, or where fencing is mostly low-impact. Did people dry their clothes in front yards at one time, where it became a nuisance?
    I don't think it's a question of clothing lines being an eyesore, but rather a way to keep more "undesirable" people out of a neighborhood. My HOA prohibits clothing lines - front, side, or rear. My indentures actually have some language in them about how it is in an effort to protect property values and some shaky grounds on how clothing lines can be destructive to neighbors. Lame, but I agreed when I purchased the home. I think it really stems from the 1970's (in my case) mentality that poor people don't have dryers. Therefore, prohibiting clothing lines keeps poor people out. That's some fuzzy logic, but I don't give a whole lot of credit to those who generally write HOA indentures.
    Much work remains to be done before we can announce our total failure to make any progress.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Perhaps to reach that goal the HOA can write language that clothes can be hung outside as long as they are not Looney Tunes, NASCAR or Scarface t-shirts.

Seriously, after reading this thread I'm pretty happy that my uptight community didn't ban them.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Who wants to look at your neighbor's "unmentionables"?

Registered
    Jul 2002

Clotheslines in Australia rule

The "The Hills Rotary Hoist" outside clothes drying contraption was released in 1946 in Australia and has become an Australian backyard icon. see http://www.lifestyleclotheslines.com...-5-Clothesline these are cemented in most Australian backyards, thereby maintaining and upholding the community cultural acceptance to outside clothes drying.

Registered
    Aug 2008
    One year we made the mistake of renting a friend's high-rise condo on a beach, 10th floor, and got busted by the towel police when we hung our beach ones out on the rail.

Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    Worse: who wants to live next to someone who WANTS to look at the unmentionables?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Did people dry their clothes in front yards at one time, where it became a nuisance?
    A woman in the neighborhood where I grew up hung clothes in the front yard; the front door was probably at the same elevation as the washing machine. I won't mention the clothes she dried there....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    On their person or on the clothes line? I usually air dry the "delicates" anyway in my laundry room but sheets, towels, jeans, t's, and stuff I hang out on the line. THough I do wonder if people judge me because of my red bed sheets.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Well, it kinda depends (not those depends)......

Quote Originally posted by Gotta Speakup View post
    Worse: who wants to live next to someone who WANTS to look at the unmentionables?
    Sorry 'bout that.

Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    .....I won't mention the clothes she dried there....
    Please do. Pictures would help in my total evaluation...

Quote Originally posted by Jen View post
    .... THough I do wonder if people judge me because of my red bed sheets.
    Satin bed sheets? If so, you are judged...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Another GIS issue: exporting to PDF
    Information Technology
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 19 Oct 2009, 11:28 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 16 Sep 2009, 2:03 PM
  3. When do you issue permits?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 14 Oct 2006, 6:38 PM