Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Chance of admission?? -international applicant

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009

Chance of admission?? -international applicant

I'm from Hong Kong and want to apply for MUP Fall 2010. Not sure about the percentage of international student in the US MUP programs. Does anyone have a hint on that? And following is my stats:

Undergrad: BSc. in Economics and Finance '10 minor in Liberal Studies
    GPA: B+, or 8.72 out of 12 (different scale); Major GPA: A-
    Study Abroad: Ohio State, Winter & Spring 2009, GPA 4.0
    GRE: V 730, Q 800, A 4.0 ( is writing too low? only 41%)
    Toefl: iBT 110
    Work Experience: One summer research about urban redevelopment, one graduate-level planning studio in Ohio State, internships in television and newspaper, peer mentoring in my university.
    Interests: International planning for developing countries, public participation, policy implementation at micro-level, urban renewal, cultural planning, historic preservation.

Applying to: MIT, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UIUC, U Maryland, U Michigan, Ohio State.

Could anyone tell my chance of admission? Really have no clue.. Thanks a lot!

You are applying to some of the best programs, right? I don't see why you wouldn't have a chance, and I think you'll be treated the same as other U.S. applicants. Then again, I do not work for an admissions committee. I would apply if I were you. Your GRE, GPA and work experience are good. All you need is the rec. letters. Good luck!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally posted by ToPlanIsMyFuture View post
    You are applying to some of the best programs, right? I don't see why you wouldn't have a chance, and I think you'll be treated the same as other U.S. applicants. Then again, I do not work for an admissions committee. I would apply if I were you. Your GRE, GPA and work experience are good. All you need is the rec. letters. Good luck!
    Thank you TPMF! Talk about the recommendation letters, how important are they? I mean, I don't have very strong rec.

Well, I've recently posted a question about the rec. letters myself...

I've visited most of the schools that I am applying for and it seems that 1) rec. letters, 2) work experience, and 3) the essay are important, respectively.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2007
    i am from HK too and have been in the states for a while. nice to see people from hk have become more interested in oversea planning programs.

i can definitely see you getting into some of the top programs given your GREs and other standardized test scores. your work experience looks impressive too but keep in mind admission committees look pretty heavily on recommendation letters and personal statements too.

PM if you wanna talk more about it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally posted by bozerwong View post
    i am from HK too and have been in the states for a while. nice to see people from hk have become more interested in oversea planning programs.

i can definitely see you getting into some of the top programs given your GREs and other standardized test scores. your work experience looks impressive too but keep in mind admission committees look pretty heavily on recommendation letters and personal statements too.

PM if you wanna talk more about it.
    Hey Bozer! Nice to see u here. I have not figured out how to PM here... But I definitely want to talk to you on msn. would u mind PM me and see if I can figure out the right place? Thx!!

About the importance of recommendation letters, is the reputation of recommenders or the evaluation they give more important?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 Mar 2012, 2:16 AM
  2. Local body as applicant
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 01 Sep 2010, 2:09 PM
  3. PhD applicant
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 19 Nov 2009, 11:07 AM