Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 131 of 131 FirstFirst ... 121 130 131
Results 3,251 to 3,266 of 3266

Thread: High tech metros: Milken Institute

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    No. There are people that I will absolutely not shake hands with because of their (un)hygenic habits.

I usually just stink palm those people... I mean, I have to wash my hands anyway!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    [rant] If I have to explain one more time to an elected official or the bonehead over at admin that we can't regulate the content of the message on billboards, well, I'm just going to take the rest of the day off and sit by the pool. [/rant]

Is the message "I got my crabs at Dirty Dick's Crab House" that offensive? Huh? Is it? Oh wait, I'm in the bible belt. Never mind.

I envy you folks that have the gonads to prohibit these damn eyesores.
    What would RJ do?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    [rant] If I have to explain one more time to an elected official or the bonehead over at admin that we can't regulate the content of the message on billboards, well, I'm just going to take the rest of the day off and sit by the pool. [/rant]

Is the message "I got my crabs at Dirty Dick's Crab House" that offensive? Huh? Is it? Oh wait, I'm in the bible belt. Never mind.

It's funny and not any different that the stuff Joe's Crab Shack advertises. I generally find billboards to be eyesores.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jun 2005

I am pretty sure we have state government regulators that look at censorship issues like this. Im pretty sure they were beind the removal of the "Have S@# Longer" Billboards in Sydney
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone View post
    . . .I don't know of anyone else on this forum that would be interested. So far, I have seen one member mention having some relative with CF. It's not something people here need to know. I have tried to talk on this forum about alternative health stuff generally. People here have pretty much zero interest in that stuff. . .
    I'm very interested. I'd subscribe to the thread. Worst case scenario, you and I would publicly message back and forth about it.

And if it ever gets a bit depressing, we could always pick up with where we left off in Teh Vague Who's on First?

Oh dear, RJ did not put a [/rant] at the end...

Folks, be prepared for Part II.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Family Random

This Bear gets to see family today! Woo-hoo!

My son, his wife, and my two granddaughters will be arriving at our den this evening. I am preparing a huge batch of "Sloppy Bears" (aka "Joes"), I am making a big coconut and whipped cream cake. Adult beverages are on ice, Katie has been a non-stop cleaning machine, I have been doing some minor repairs (such as the shower door pin). Yesterday I cut-up a stack of firewood, so it would fit inside the fire pit device. The goodies for "smores" are in the closet, ready for nightfall. Woo-hoo!

My son and his family moved to Portland, OR in January, 2007. They purchased a house in suburban Lake Oswego, OR. They love the northwest.

My DIL and the granddaughters were in for a funeral, in October, 2007. My son and I met at a Cincinnati Reds baseball game, in May of 2008. (He was in Cincy for a convention.) My DIL and the youngest GD, Luna, were in last September.

It will be nice. But it also says something about the way that American families have spread-out. And it puts a stamp on statements about young people exiting the "rust belt" because of opportunites that exist elsewhere.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

RJ's Public Service Advisory for August 4, 2009

This is directed to all department/division heads, managers, and supervisors: Don't bang your administrative assistant. It will ruin two families and two careers. The story has been buried and won't appear in the local media. (What were they thinking? )

Now go forth and behave professionally in the work place.
    What would RJ do?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    This is directed to all department/division heads, managers, and supervisors: Don't bang your administrative assistant. It will ruin two families and two careers. The story has been buried and won't appear in the local media. (What were they thinking? )

Fishing off the company pier is generally not a good idea. Especially if one or both parties is married.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004

Squirrel Causes Power Outage

Part of the joys of living in the deep south in the middle of a pine forrest....

A power outage affecting more than 300 Mississippi Power customers Tuesday morning was caused by a squirrel.

The critter crawled into a Petal substation knocking out approximately 350 customers around 8:20 a.m.

Power was restored to more than half of those customers within 20 minutes, according to Mississippi Power spokeswoman Cindy Duvall. The remaining 100 customers without power had electricity after roughly 30 minutes.

Duvall said incidents with animals occur from time to time.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2004

On a related note:
    If your Dept. Coordinator is living with one of your Building Inspectors, don't be surprised when domestic spats turn into Public Displays of Dissatisfaction at the front counter. And when it does happen, ignoring it will not make it go away, and only breeds discontent with the other employees in the area.
    Now that the Dept. Coordinator has been caught in the act with another employee, the tension level in the building has increased ten-fold. But no public arguments so far! I'm just waiting until I get my RIF letter - I am so looking forward to getting away from my coworkers!!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    They weren't thinking - and as I said to a friend I watched hunt her prey in the office jungle once: don't tell me it just happened, you made it happen from day one...

Fishing off the company pier is generally not a good idea.
    this is a great corporate quote, must remember that one...

Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    On a related note:
    If your Dept. Coordinator is living with one of your Building Inspectors, don't be surprised when domestic spats turn into Public Displays of Dissatisfaction at the front counter. And when it does happen, ignoring it will not make it go away, and only breeds discontent with the other employees in the area.
    Now that the Dept. Coordinator has been caught in the act with another employee, the tension level in the building has increased ten-fold. But no public arguments so far! I'm just waiting until I get my RIF letter - I am so looking forward to getting away from my coworkers!!
    wow!

my random thought for today is:

I feel like I am Tom Cruise in the movie The Firm...

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Fishing off the company pier is generally not a good idea. Especially if one or both parties is married.
    In other words, don't S&#@ where you EAT!

I think some people have been watching too much Mad Men. It's not the 60's anymore...
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Building owner asks me to meet him at the site. We introduce ourselves and he discusses the problems with the parking lot."Obviously", he says "the lot's too small". "Nah", says I, "the building's too big."

Apparently, this thought had never entered his mind.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    A related idea is don't fish in someone else's pond.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Nov 2002

But what if you both share a love of the same zoning regulations?

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Part of the joys of living in the deep south in the middle of a pine forrest....

A power outage affecting more than 300 Mississippi Power customers Tuesday morning was caused by a squirrel.

The critter crawled into a Petal substation knocking out approximately 350 customers around 8:20 a.m.

Power was restored to more than half of those customers within 20 minutes, according to Mississippi Power spokeswoman Cindy Duvall. The remaining 100 customers without power had electricity after roughly 30 minutes.

Duvall said incidents with animals occur from time to time.

I live and work in a city that provides electricity. This is usually the explanation I get when the power goes out here, I questioned it one day. The Electric Superintendent left and brought me a squirrel that died from an oblivious case of electric shock. I'm still not sure that the squirrel I saw was the case of the outage. I need more evidence to convince me that a squirrel was involved, a squirrel with a Don King hair-do is not going to do it. I want witnesses and interviews with the squirrels friends and neighbors so that i can be convinced that a the squirrel was the cause. I also would like to know if the squirrel acted alone or if there is some bigger conspiracy that is occurring.

+ Reply to thread
Page 131 of 131 FirstFirst ... 121 130 131

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 08 Sep 2012, 5:31 PM
  2. Replies: 1325
    Last post: 11 Mar 2009, 2:39 PM
  3. Replies: 540
    Last post: 29 Jan 2009, 11:01 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 28 May 2004, 12:00 AM
  5. High-end,high-tech condominiums