Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 131 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: High tech metros: Milken Institute

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    One of the things I love about winter is that I can use the screened porch as a temporary refrigerator for things that won't fit into the refrigerator. It really comes in handy.
    Isn't this great! For about three months of the year we have a 240 square foot walk-in fridge. Usually, we store two liter bottles, cases of beer and the more akward sized things out there.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Anybody at work today ?
    Not me.

If at work, I can picture it being slow, so more time for Cyburbia.
    or possible RJ time.

No holiday here in the O.C. but it's so quiet here this morning that I am starting to think that it would have been a good day to use some vacation time.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I am the only person in my office today. In some ways this is great! Others - not so hot. But the day is just getting started. I've brought entertainment, and will be here until 5.

Happy New Year!!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    Well i spent my new years in Vancouver, and it started snowing as we left the pub! So so so cold but a beautiful place!

Happy New Years to all you Cyburbians!!!!
    Welcome to North America Nats. Hope you enjoy your time here.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    No holiday here in the O.C. but it's so quiet here this morning that I am starting to think that it would have been a good day to use some vacation time.
    I find that s-l-o-w days at the orifice are almost as good as vacation days at home.

WSU MUP, you might spend some time letting "your fingers do the walking" for that Wii thingie. Customer service is not completely dead, and if a vendor has it, perhaps they will reserve it for you. Another idea: some distance out of the density-packed 'burbs might prove fruitful. I'm thinking Brighton.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Kids nowadays have the most stupid and insipid toys you can imagine! Take Buzz Lightyear for example. How dull.

Now back when I was a youth we had really cool toys that sparked young imaginations. Toys like this -

And this -

Bonus points for anyone who can name either of the toys.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    WSU MUP, you might spend some time letting "your fingers do the walking" for that Wii thingie. Customer service is not completely dead, and if a vendor has it, perhaps they will reserve it for you. another idea: some distance out of the density-packed 'burbs might prove fruitful. I'm thinking Brighton.
    I thought about that, but I like getting out of the house... I've got the ants in the pants. And though it was a bit cold out yesterday, part of my Wii adventure was on foot as I live within walking distance of a Target, Meijer, and Game Stop. And at lunch time today I can walk to another Target and Best Buy.

I guess this is all sort of a pointless quest because from surfing the WWW, it seems as if they are generally out of stock all across the country for at least another week or so.

I did let me fingers do some of the walking though... sort of; I called my parents who are currently in Florida and asked them to keep their eyes out as well. I figure I might have better luck in communities full of octogenerians (though I hear that they are a big hit at retirement home community centers).
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    http://www.innocenceproject.org/Content/84.php

So this guy serves 22 years of a two consecutive lifetime sentence and thanks to DNA testing technology is exonerated. That's time he can never get back.

I wonder if he should maybe get some sort of 'credit for time served' certificates/coupons that he can redeem at any court in the jurisdiction just in case he happens to get convicted of armed robbery or commiting some other crimes in the future (the entire coupon book with a 22 year value oughta be worth at least two counts of fellonious assault, extortion, two breaking and enterings, and 50% discounts on the next 12 moving violations).

It's only fair, you know.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I thought about that, but I like getting out of the house... I've got the ants in the pants. And though it was a bit cold out yesterday, part of my Wii adventure was on foot as I live within walking distance of a Target, Meijer, and Game Stop. And at lunch time today I can walk to another Target and Best Buy.

I guess this is all sort of a pointless quest because from surfing the WWW, it seems as if they are generally out of stock all across the country for at least another week or so.

I did let me fingers do some of the walking though... sort of; I called my parents who are currently in Florida and asked them to keep their eyes out as well. I figure I might have better luck in communities full of octogenerians (though I hear that they are a big hit at retirement home community centers).
    BF and I did some Wii searching in the days right after X-mas. No luck here. And when I spoke with some of the store clerks said that the consoles fly off the shelves as soon as they are delivered. Good luck. I'm finding that time has somewhat slowed the desire to own a Wii. (Plus the fact a European vacation might be in the future. I'd rather spend $250 on Scottish garb).
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 1997
    I'd talk about how I'm "the only person in the office", but that applies everyday. Part of working in a small town is that I am the whole department.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    May 2004

Reserving high-demand products

My brother says he kept trying to find his alloted two video converter boxes. Out of stock, snapped up as soon as they arrive, etc. He placed an order with Radio Shack, had two of them shipped to his door.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Happy New Year fellow Cyburbians!

I spent a good chunk of my Thursday afternoon driving around to various retail outlets in northern Metropolitan Detroit in search of a Wii console for the wife and I. I have come to the realization that there is not one for sale at any Target, KMart, Gamestop, Best Buy, or Meijer within an 8 mile radius of Birmingham, Michigan... and let me tell you, that is a lot of Targets, KMarts, Gamestops, Best Buys, and Meijers!

Oh well... I guess the money is better served by sitting in my bank account.
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    BF and I did some Wii searching in the days right after X-mas. No luck here. And when I spoke with some of the store clerks said that the consoles fly off the shelves as soon as they are delivered. Good luck. I'm finding that time has somewhat slowed the desire to own a Wii. (Plus the fact a European vacation might be in the future. I'd rather spend $250 on Scottish garb).

Try this site:
    wiitracker.com

One of my old fraternity brothers stopped by on the 30th and we drank beer, smoked cigars and played my Wii. It was his first time playing and proceeded to kick my butt in every game we played.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Despite this being a "one-day-in" Friday at work, and then the weekend is upon us, I still felt as if this was a Monday. Every New Year's Day has been depressing for me. I have no idea what it is. The day off, sure. It probably doesn't help that I nurse hangovers on New Years Day too, but there is just something about the day that is so damned depressing to me. Back to the grindstone now, in work and personal life. I have gained 10 pounds over the past month. I want to get back on track with eating right and back to work. The holidays were fun, but I long for some "normalcy" right now. Now that the snow has melted in my yard, it'll be time to clean up the dogs' turds, which have taken over . I really wish that bacon is more of a staple in my everyday diet, but see the previous note about the gaining of 10 pounds.... Next weekend is my first "Mancation" with a handful of friends to my family's cabin. We'll be playing cards, eating good steaks, drinking good beers and whiskeys and thus getting away from our everyday lives for a bit. One guy is on the skids with his wife, another is getting married this year, I just happen to want to get away from my everyday domestic duties and the last friend is just up for a party. Should be good.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I am in SC this morning being tortured by the Dragon Lady. I was supposed to be off today Once she is done bugging me I will roust the teenager out of bed and go do something outside and maybe go see the little niece and nephew. My older niece scored a Wii yesterday at the Walmart...she called around 8am, they said they had two and she went right down and got one.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Oh …..my….God….
    Can you believe this guy is an officer in the Royal Canadian Mounted Police!

This is all wrong. All wrong. RCMP (‘mounties’) don’t stare at data on computer screens, they ride around on horses and rescue fair maidens in distress. That guy is not mounted on horseback, he isn’t even wearing a ‘Smokey the Bear’ hat or a scrap of red fabric!

Quote Originally posted by zman
    I really wish that bacon is more of a staple in my everyday diet
    There's always Canadian bacon.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    One of the things I love about winter is that I can use the screened porch as a temporary refrigerator for things that won't fit into the refrigerator. It really comes in handy.
    I used to wait for a nice cold winter days to defrost my refrigerator. I would put the food in a box and put it out on the porch. Then defrost the fridge, using a fan to speed up the process (the ice also tends to come off in big slabs, which is a lot less messy).
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Oh …..my….God….
    Can you believe this guy is an officer in the Royal Canadian Mounted Police!

This is all wrong. All wrong. RCMP (‘mounties’) don’t stare at data on computer screens, they ride around on horses and rescue fair maidens in distress. That guy is not mounted on horseback, he isn’t even wearing a ‘Smokey the Bear’ hat or a scrap of red fabric!
    I don't know, I think he fits the Canadian stereotype quite well. He looks like an all around nice guy. Nice little simpy grin, hands clasped politely in his lap. But I do agree, he should be sporting some red. Even if it was just a little maple leaf pin.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I don't know, I think he fits the Canadian stereotype quite well. He looks like an all around nice guy. Nice little simpy grin, hands clasped politely in his lap. But I do agree, he should be sporting some red. Even if it was just a little maple leaf pin.
    Yeah, I may be inadvertently stereotyping. After all, Canada and Canadians are much more diverse than that - everyone is not a mountie! No, some Canadians are hockey players, some are lumberjacks, while others work in breweries or make maple syrup for a living.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Today seems to be the unofficial "Bring your dog to work day" as various employees have their own hounds of hell wandering about giving sloppy slobbery kisses (the BEST kind). I called the other half and asked him to bring our sweet hound of hell in for a visit.

No one can resist the affection* of a beagle

*or is that affliction ?
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Yeah, I may be inadvertently stereotyping. After all, Canada and Canadians are much more diverse than that - everyone is not a mountie! No, some Canadians are hockey players, some are lumberjacks, while others work in breweries or make maple syrup for a living.
    And some are even planners
    but it would be hard to tell if they are wearing the universal planner uniform or flannel plaid shirt.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2004
    Yeah, I may be inadvertently stereotyping. ....
    He does not look like the law enforcers of my acquaintance, who tend to be hot.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    He does not look like the law enforcers of my acquaintance, who tend to be hot.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Sgt. Preston Of The Yukon Random

My guess is that the young, somewhat dweeby-looking RCMP dude, has gone through significant training to be a part of that distinguished force. Bet dollars to donuts that his physical ability is better than the mountie in the photo below.

This Bear is also providing a couple quick clips. Check 'em out.

Bear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfTJQSj5iYA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcti25dMTb0
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Today, I would rather be at work than...trying to fix a damned stopped up drain.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    She can be the Mountie, if I can be the . . uh, well, I better not go there.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 131 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 08 Sep 2012, 5:31 PM
  2. Replies: 1325
    Last post: 11 Mar 2009, 2:39 PM
  3. Replies: 540
    Last post: 29 Jan 2009, 11:01 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 28 May 2004, 12:00 AM