Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: High tech metros: Milken Institute

Registered
    Mar 2002
    "Save a horse ride a cowboy"

Great song!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Ran across this video this morning on wingsuit base jumping:

http://vimeo.com/1778399

I sooooooo want to try...
    Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but three lefts do.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Oh! Canada!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004

Saluting Courtesy

Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Oh! Canada!
    Contrary to popular belief Canadians do engage in patriotic expressions from time to time. North Americans should honor each others' customs and those who are able to should respectfully stand at attention when viewing displays of patriotism regardless of their national origins.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Freeeeedom.....

Ok so I was channeling Braveheart for a moment. Dragon Lady said I could go outside and play now since she's done torturing me.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Wo - I just caught the very end of the RTDNTOTO 3 after several days away from Cyburbia, and found out that I ranked #11 last year in random thoughts. I have a lot of slack... er, catching up to do.

I am in the office, mostly cleaning house. I managed to finish two major projects by Dec. 31st; now it's on to other things, like shopping for a new computer (oh yeah, billable work too).

My dog just gave both of us a heart attack - she barked in her sleep!

Happy new year, everyone.

Registered
    May 2005
    Once we decided to get a Wii early in 2008, we couldn't find one after actively looking for a month.

After we decided it could wait, we ended up finding one at a Toys-R-Us on a shopping expedition for some other purpose.

I think it's one of those things where if you stop looking for it, you'll come across one. Murphy's Law or something like that?
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Too funny...a posting on Urban Planet.

My wife and I saw you down in the crowd with your decorated tuba. I said, Hey there is Veloise...as if you were a long lost friend. My wife said Who the heck is that and how do you know her? I just said Urban Planet. She dead panned Oh...(as if I should have known) We would have said Hi, but you were too busy playing in someone's place.

It was quite a night wasn't it?

Oh yeah, my wife said there are tons of her friends that have your photo on their face book from the evening.

Registered
    May 2004

Death Pool 2009, from the experts

Supermarket tabloids claim...Michael Jackson is not long for this world.

Jeeze, it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Too funny...a posting on Urban Planet.

My wife and I saw you down in the crowd with your decorated tuba. I said, Hey there is Veloise...as if you were a long lost friend. My wife said Who the heck is that and how do you know her? I just said Urban Planet. She dead panned Oh...(as if I should have known) We would have said Hi, but you were too busy playing in someone's place.

It was quite a night wasn't it?

Oh yeah, my wife said there are tons of her friends that have your photo on their face book from the evening.
    Love the blinged out tuba!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2001
    So I have a date tonight. My first in about 7+ years (ended a LTR in Fall). I'm SO out of the dating loop. Uggg.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Chet View post
    So I have a date tonight. My first in about 7+ years (ended a LTR in Fall). I'm SO out of the dating loop. Uggg.
    Break a leg, ol' man. Don't do anything I wouldn't do!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Chet View post
    it's like riding a bike. just put down the chopsticks. don't look at the chopsticks. don't think about chopsticks. now carry on.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Carolina Randoms

Chet's Date Random.....Well, my friend, how did your date go? I was thinking about your post and your (usual) location, so I spent some time on Google Maps wandering around Milwaukee. Hope you had a good time!

Bike Routes Random.....Veloise, I read a small article in The (Toledo) Blade. Mentioned that the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials is working with the Adventure Cycling Association (and other groups) to identify bicycle routes. Are you familiar with the details? The article doesn't go into too much depth.

The article does indicate that the numbering system for the nationwide routes is a reverse of the numbers used for automobiles. Example, I-10 is in the south.....the bike route 10 will be in the north.

Carolina Random.....Last night we were at a family event that included Katie's niece. She had moved to Hilton Head when she was young and has been busy raising a family near the shores of the Atlantic. Katie kept remarking on the way home that her niece had really picked up a southern accent.

I had noticed the same things with my cousins. They moved from Toledo to Cincinnati back in the 1960s. In later years we really noticed the steep accents.

Carolina Random 2.....This Bear has been to Asheville, NC, a few times. Very impressed with that place. My son and his family considered Asheville as a destination for their "escape" from Metro Toledo. (They chose Portland, OR.)

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I spent NYE relatively quiet and since then have wanted to go boozing, but can't find anyone to partake.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2005

faceBLOCK

i hold grudges.

a former teammate from my high school soccer team has attempted to friend me on facebook. ummm, you were really mean to me in high school, why would i want to have you listed as my friend now?

too bad i don't have the cojones to not accept someone's friendship. i guess i'll just leave her request hanging for awhile. passive-aggression is my friend.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    ...Bike Routes Random.....bicycle routes. Are you familiar with the details? The article doesn't go into too much depth.

The article does indicate that the numbering system for the nationwide routes is a reverse of the numbers used for automobiles. Example, I-10 is in the south.....the bike route 10 will be in the north. ..
    Someone circulated this message to my bike club:

A group of biking advocates from around the country have recommended to federal regulatory officials that the highway signing for bicycle routes be made more consistent. This includes all guide,
    identification, warning and regulation signs. This group is making a
    presentation to an advisory panel to the Federal Highway
    Administration on January 8, 2009. If you can take the linked on-line
    survey before next Wednesday, it will help this group better
    understand which graphics are most easily comprehended.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?s...NA0wbg2Q_3d_3d

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Bike Routes Random.....Veloise, I read a small article in The (Toledo) Blade. Mentioned that the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials is working with the Adventure Cycling Association (and other groups) to identify bicycle routes. Are you familiar with the details? The article doesn't go into too much depth.

The article does indicate that the numbering system for the nationwide routes is a reverse of the numbers used for automobiles. Example, I-10 is in the south.....the bike route 10 will be in the north.
    hmm, US 10 runs in the north, from I-75 in the Bay City, MI area (that end was originally in downtown Detroit) to I-94 just west of Fargo, ND (that end was originally in downtown Seattle), with a ferry link. AND, it has a trail section running along it here in the Appleton area, especially along the fairly new freeway section to the west and continuing eastward through the metro and likely on eastward towards Manitowoc and westward towards Stevens Point, WI. Hmmm, part of national bicycle route 10?

Mike

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Back in NJ. Ride was good all the way from South Carolina and for motivation I told R.T. if she took down the xmas tree and helped me unpack I would set up the new tee-vee. We are watching a DVD....very nice!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Doesn't
    Ever
    Leave
    The
    Airport

Yes, they us screwed again. Got home about an hour ago. Flight canceled from ATL to the panhandle. So we decided to drive from Atlanta in a rent a car to the panhandle. After all, it's only about a six-hour drive.

Now I'm taking the edge off with a little bit of gin.

I called in sick already. Later today, we need to return the rent a car and pick up ZG's vehicle at the airport.

Pictures of our trip to California to follow. Some of them turned out OK. I gotta get some sleep.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    WTF??? I just found out that my name is in a book about soccer. How the heck did that happen?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I'm impressed. ... depending on the context, of course. Not: "and dandy_warhol missed the goal..."

And I thought googling your own name yielded some surprises. I don't think my name has ever appeared in a published book. Yet.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    I'm impressed. ... depending on the context, of course. Not: "and dandy_warhol missed the goal..."

And I thought googling your own name yielded some surprises. I don't think my name has ever appeared in a published book. Yet.

I thought it would be cool too. Part of what has me concerned is that is says, "dandy_warhol stormed off the field." I'm don't think that's accurate and it is unflattering and false. Libel? Slander??

I just ordered the book to see what it actually has to say. Guess it wasn't a best seller if I can buy it new at Amazon for $3.99.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I thought it would be cool too. Part of what has me concerned is that is says, "dandy_warhol stormed off the field." I'm don't think that's accurate and it is unflattering and false. Libel? Slander??

I just ordered the book to see what it actually has to say. Guess it wasn't a best seller if I can buy it new at Amazon for $3.99.
    Sounds like a book signing tour (or at least Stanfest) is coming soon.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Sounds like a book signing tour (or at least Stanfest) is coming soon.

You all can say you knew me when.

But come to think of it, I'm in the same book as female soccer legends. I think Mia and Brandi Chastain along with others are mentioned in the book.

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 08 Sep 2012, 6:31 PM
  2. Replies: 1325
    Last post: 11 Mar 2009, 3:39 PM
  3. Replies: 540
    Last post: 29 Jan 2009, 12:01 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 28 May 2004, 1:00 AM
  5. High-end,high-tech condominiums