+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 131 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

Thread: High tech metros: Milken Institute

Registered
    Jan 2005

Bushisms via Yahoo

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090103/...QHs31_6g0DW7oF

My personal favorite...

"The fact that they purchased the machine meant somebody had to make the machine. And when somebody makes a machine, it means there's jobs at the machine-making place." May 27, 2008, in Mesa, Ariz.

I will miss him
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Don't bother with that bike route sign survey

Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    A group of biking advocates from around the country have recommended to federal regulatory officials that the highway signing for bicycle routes be made more consistent. ...If you can take the linked on-line
    survey before next Wednesday, it will help this group better understand which graphics are most easily comprehended.
    New message from someone who did:
    I just took the survey and thought I would let others know this is a very long survey (70+ questions) and it took me more than 20 minutes to complete.

Some thoughts on the survey.

Overall I think it was a waste of time. I don't know where the survey originated (what group organized this effort, it was not clear, there was on contact info at the beginning or end of the survey) or why the group was trying to get new signs developed. The below e-mail says it is so "highway signing for bicycle routes be made more consistent." All of the information on the "proposed" new signs already exists in the nationally adopted Manual for Uniformed Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD). All states adopt this Manual so it is pretty consistent. The only real difference between the signs in the MUTCD and the "proposed" new signs is that rather than having a bicycle on a sign, there is a bicycle with a human on it. Is it really necessary to have a person on a bike to convey the information??? They are also changing the color of some signs from white on green to white on blue. The color of the text and the background have a specific meaning. On most of the signs I don't think white on blue is appropriate.

All state have adopted the MUTCD and a new version of the MUTCD is under review at this time. Some of the signs included in this survey are scheduled to be in the new version, while others are not. http://www.trafficsign.us/npa.html see Part 9

This group and the group making the presentation to FHWA should know that the deadline for public comment was July 31, 2008, so taking this survey may be a waste of time. Perhaps they extended the deadline but I doubt it.

Registered
    May 2005
    Shouldn't all this bike route, bike sign stuff be in Teh Neverending Bicycle Thread??

Anways.........I'm wondering if anyone keeps a journal?
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Another Parting Shot by Bush, Inc

U.S. Forest Policy Is Set to Change, Aiding Developer
    Land Owned by Plum Creek Timber Co.
    Mark E. Rey, the former timber lobbyist who heads the Forest Service, last week signaled his intent to formalize the controversial change before the Jan. 20 inauguration of President-elect Barack Obama. As a candidate, Obama campaigned against the measure in Montana, where local governments have complained of being blindsided by Rey's negotiating the policy shift behind closed doors with the nation's largest private landowner.

The shift is technical but has large implications. It would allow Plum Creek Timber to pave roads through Forest Service land. For decades, such roads were little more than trails used by logging trucks to reach timber stands.

But as Plum Creek has moved into the real estate business, paving those roads became a necessary prelude to opening vast tracts of the company's 8 million acres to the vacation homes that are transforming landscapes across the West.

Scenic western Montana, where Plum Creek owns 1.2 million acres, would be most affected, placing fresh burdens on county governments to provide services and undoing efforts to cluster housing near towns.

"Just within the last couple weeks, they finalized a big subdivision west of Kalispell," said D. James McCubbin, deputy county attorney of Missoula County, which complained that the closed-door negotiations violated federal laws requiring public comment because the changes would affect endangered species and sensitive ecosystems. Kalispell is in Flathead County, where officials also protested.

The uproar last summer forced Rey to postpone finalizing the change, which came after "considerable internal disagreement" within the Forest Service, according to a U.S. Government Accountability Office report requested by Sen. Jon Tester (D-Mont.). The report said that 900 miles of logging roads could be paved in Montana and that amending the long-held easements "could have a nationwide impact."

Tester and Sen. Jeff Bingaman (D-N.M.), who chairs the Energy and Natural Resources Committee, then asked for an inquiry by the inspector general of the Agriculture Department, which includes the Forest Service.

"I think we need another set of eyes on it," Tester said Friday. "I don't think that's running out the clock. If this is a good agreement, then what's the rush? Why do it in the eleventh hour of this administration?"

Probably because the proposal would die after Jan. 20. Obama sharply criticized Rey's efforts during the presidential campaign, seizing on concerns that a landscape dotted with luxury homes would be less hospitable to Montanans accustomed to easy access to timberlands.

"At a time when Montana's sportsmen are finding it increasingly hard to access lands, it is outrageous that the Bush administration would exacerbate the problem by encouraging prime hunting and fishing lands to be carved up and closed off," Obama said.

Rey vows to act soon. In a Dec. 12 letter to Tester and Bingaman, he repeated his logic for granting Plum Creek the changes it requested, then closed with a promise to schedule briefings "to describe how we plan to proceed."

In a phone interview Wednesday, Rey said he will act immediately after the courtesy meetings with the lawmakers. "That will probably be in the next week or so, before this goes forward," he said. Tester said he has not yet heard from Rey's office to arrange a meeting.

On environmental questions, the Bush administration has a checkered record of following through on promised eleventh-hour changes, said Robert Dreher, a lawyer with Defenders of Wildlife.

"I suppose it's a legacy issue," Dreher said. "They've already backed off on a couple of things they said they were going to do," including proposed changes on marine fisheries and industrial emissions.

On the other hand, the Bush White House went ahead with controversial changes to the Endangered Species Act, despite opposition from environmentalists.

The Plum Creek deal could be accomplished with the stroke of a pen. Because it amends existing easements, the change involves no 30-day waiting period. But the step carries a political cost that the administration evidently has been assessing since June, when Rey said he expected to formalize within a month the change, which half a year later is still hanging fire.

"It's conceivable they don't want to leave office looking like bad guys," Dreher said. "There's been a lot of concern about the nature of the process and the lack of inclusiveness. You've got the county government in Montana angry over it. If they do this walking out the door, they're kind of ramming it down their throats."

Yet another reason this has been one of the worst preidents ever.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Anways.........I'm wondering if anyone keeps a journal?
    I bought a Moleskine for cheap at a outlet mall a long while ago. Every now and then I would put some notes in it and keep a tally of books to read and movies to watch. Recently though, I have been carrying it with me and have kept somewhat of an on again/off again journal.
    One thing that stopped me before was not being able to or having nothing to write on some days, but that doesn't stop me now. For me, it isn't anything to keep daily. Some days I write nothing (like the past week), some days all I put on the page is "nothing much to say today" and some days I go on a 4 pages writing binge that wears my hand out.

So the answer is yes and no. It is nice to have a book near me so that I can write various 'forgettables' down or put in some random thoughts.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

It figues- I got an impromptu interview with one of the local TV station regarding the County's budding recycling program. I'm still a little sick, looking like a planner that the cat drug in. Further, I ramble on. I'm hoping for a sympathetic editor.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    At lunch today I saw the parts delivery truck for the local Chevy dealership...and it was a Dodge Ram I just don't get the auto industry.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Shouldn't all this bike route, bike sign stuff be in Teh Neverending Bicycle Thread?? ...
    That location is more for hardware and bicycle culture. NCUTLO signage is different from "who still uses toeclips?"

can't believe I typed NCUTLO without having to look it up...I know one of the bike geeks on the committee

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

I'm scared to go into the bike shop here...

Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    That location is more for hardware and bicycle culture. NCUTLO signage is different from "who still uses toeclips?"
    classic - I spit out my tension-tamer tea on that post!

I love my Stendig calendar - nothing like over-sized Helvetica Medium Bold!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Has anybody tried and liked the Sierra Mist Free Cranberry Splash soda ?

I like it about equally as the Diet Cranberry Ginger Ale.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    This may actually merit its own thread, but I'll start here and I don't want to be mean, but if I have not met you in person, or it is highly unlikely that we will ever meet, please don't add me as a facebook friend. just cause we hang out here does not mean we are friends.

thanks
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by donk View post
    This may actually merit its own thread, but I'll start here and I don't want to be mean, but if I have not met you in person, or it is highly unlikely that we will ever meet, please don't add me as a facebook friend. just cause we hang out here does not mean we are friends.

thanks
    Wow. Seems a little mean spirited to say in a public forum considering that it appears the requesting party is also part of this forum. A polite decline and perhaps a brief PM, if necessary, would have been a better way of handling the request.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    Wow. Seems a little mean spirited to say in a public forum considering that it appears the requesting party is also part of this forum. A polite decline and perhaps a brief PM, if necessary, would have been a better way of handling the request.
    That's ok kjel, everyone entitled to their own opinion.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    hi Guys

Just popping in quickley- still in Vancouver, going to Quebec tomorrow and yes still getting used to the cold.

One thing i have noticed while i am here is that supermarket checkout assistants are really slow. and i hate added tax and tipping.
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    hi Guys

Just popping in quickley- still in Vancouver, going to Quebec tomorrow and yes still getting used to the cold.

One thing i have noticed while i am here is that supermarket checkout assistants are really slow. and i hate added tax and tipping.
    I'm also not a fan of added-on sales taxes, either, but they are 'SOP' in much of the USA. IMHO, they (sales taxes) should be part of the items' list price - as long as the rates are readily and frequently disclosed. The City of Chicago currently has the highest total 'added on' sales tax rate of ANY jurisdiction in the USA, too.

Speaking of that, is there anyone up for an attempt at a get-together/laefest when she's in Chicago?

Mike

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Speaking of that, is there anyone up for an attempt at a get-together/laefest when she's in Chicago?

Mike
    Ok i fly into chicago late Sunday 18th and fly out thursday morning. So if anyone is interested in a laefest let me know. I would prefer Monday. I will be at HI Chicago- which is on the East Congress Parkway, so a bar somewhere near there would be great. I guess PM me to let me know.

Anyone in NYC up for a Laefest, PM me too- i am available from 22-25 Jan
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    Ok i fly into chicago late Sunday 18th and fly out thursday morning. So if anyone is interested in a laefest let me know. I would prefer Monday. I will be at HI Chicago- which is on the East Congress Parkway, so a bar somewhere near there would be great. I guess PM me to let me know.

Anyone in NYC up for a Laefest, PM me too- i am available from 22-25 Jan
    Too bad, in the middle of nowhere . . .

Billy Goat

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Has anybody tried and liked the Sierra Mist Free Cranberry Splash soda ?

I like it about equally as the Diet Cranberry Ginger Ale.
    Yes, and its better with vodka
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Saw this yesterday and just had to pass it along.

Plum Creek Update

Timber Firm Drops Road-Use Request
    Deal With Forest Service Raised Concern

LOS ANGELES, Jan. 5 -- A controversial U.S. Forest Service plan that would have made it easier to build houses in Western mountain forests was dropped Monday when the nation's largest private landowner abruptly backed off the request that sparked the issue.

Plum Creek Timber, which owns 8 million acres nationwide, withdrew its request for an explicit legal understanding that it has the right to use roads across Forest Service lands for residential development, not just for logging. The Seattle firm cited widespread opposition to the proposal it negotiated behind closed doors over two years with Forest Service chief Mark Rey.

"When we heard about the concern for further input, we said, 'Well, that makes sense,' and we apologized and set up some [public] meetings," said Kathy Budinick, a spokeswoman for Plum Creek.

Budinick said public resistance was at odds with efforts to promote Plum Creek as a good corporate citizen. Last year, the company, which owns 1.2 million acres in Montana, agreed to sell 320,000 acres of sensitive land in the state to the Nature Conservancy and the Trust for Public Land.

"We don't want a lot of people to think we're out to pave a lot of roads in Montana, because we're just not," Budinick said.

The change of heart came after news reports that Rey was preparing to push the deal through in the last days of the Bush administration, despite opposition from Montana's congressional delegation and President-elect Barack Obama.

The withdrawal was welcomed by local officials in Montana, who complained that Rey's secret negotiation undermined their efforts to contain development in the fast-growing region.

"We've actually been working with Plum Creek for some time," said Jean Curtiss, the Missoula County commissioner who received a letter from Plum Creek President Rick Holley announcing the company's withdrawal from the effort "given the lack of receptivity."

"Our whole impetus is that the Forest Service was the one who was out of line," Curtiss said. "They were the ones holding meetings without public input or public knowledge."

Environmentalists expressed delight, noting that Plum Creek's decision forestalls court fights over the issue that both sides said were inevitable. Bethanie Walder, executive director of Wildlands CPR in Missoula, noted that "socially conscious" investors in Plum Creek had initiated shareholder resolutions against the move.

"Nobody liked it," Walder said. "Especially in Montana, they've gotten a pretty serious black eye from this approach."

But in an interview, Rey maintained that Plum Creek has the right to use the roads as it sees fit. Lost along with the deal making that right explicit, he said, were concessions the company made, such as forming homeowners associations, as preferred by county governments

Looks like the folks at the corporation had more sense than the people at Bush, Inc. The people at the corporation are, evidently, less tone deaf than Bush, Inc. From a planning perspective, I'd like to see some more info on this project. It brings out some interesting planning issues, especially regarding development out west.

Registered
    Feb 2004

thanks
    If this is about me, we actually have met. Toronto Laefest w/ Tranplanner, JordanB, TheStip, we went to I think it was called C'est What. This was probably back in 2005.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

thanks
    I don't think there is anything wrong with this at all.

Duly noted, Donk.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Sep 2007
    Why is it that every idiot driving with no lights on at 7am seems to be driving a gray or black car?

I'm not saying everyone who drives a gray or black car does this (mine is black) but when you see this behavior, the car is generally a difficult to see in the dark color.
    Navy collier
    USS Cyclops

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Ugh, why wherever the roads are icy you either have the people going 20 MPH, i.e., way too slow, or the axxholes going 65 MPH in their big trucks and SUV's.

In other news I managed to score a Wii Fit yesterday during my lunch break. It's kinda sad that my avatar (Mii) has morphed into a fat and pudgy version of me. I tried it last night and got a bit of a workout. The Fit should help me get into enough ofshape so I am not so embarassed running in public.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by rcgplanner View post
    Ugh, why wherever the roads are icy you either have the people going 20 MPH, i.e., way too slow, or the axxholes going 65 MPH in their big trucks and SUV's.

In other news I managed to score a Wii Fit yesterday during my lunch break. It's kinda sad that my avatar (Mii) has morphed into a fat and pudgy version of me. I tried it last night and got a bit of a workout. The Fit should help me get into enough ofshape so I am not so embarassed running in public.
    where did you find the Fit? we're trying to get a Wii console and Wii Fit for my dad for his birthday. which is today.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 131 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 08 Sep 2012, 5:31 PM
  2. Replies: 1325
    Last post: 11 Mar 2009, 2:39 PM
  3. Replies: 540
    Last post: 29 Jan 2009, 11:01 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 28 May 2004, 12:00 AM
  5. High-end,high-tech condominiums