Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 131 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

Thread: High tech metros: Milken Institute

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by rcgplanner View post

In other news I managed to score a Wii Fit yesterday during my lunch break. It's kinda sad that my avatar (Mii) has morphed into a fat and pudgy version of me. I tried it last night and got a bit of a workout. The Fit should help me get into enough ofshape so I am not so embarassed running in public.
    I didn't like my Mii on WiiFit as well for the same reason. Both Mrs. P & I have been hitting it since Christmas. The yoga and balance have quickly become favorites.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2007
    I was lucky enough to swing by Gamestop yesterday during lunch. I wasn't expecting to find one, but I went and asked the guy at the counter. They had gotten a shipment in yesterday morning and they had one left. If you are looking for a Wii or a Wii Fit you can go to http://www.zoolert.com and sign up for e-mail alerts on when they are available from online retailers. If you receive an alert, you have to act quickly.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    living on an island with outdoor beauty and a national park to boot, I just can't get into the Wii thingy, except for Yoga, since the Y changed that schedule but I can get a DVD thingy too?

one of my teenaged' daughter's friend had a Wii and was playing frisbee or something and then she said she stopped and thought, wait, I live in Maine, what am I doing indoors?

I guess if you are in an urban environment, can't fit into a Y or gym schedule, or otherwise shut in more, it might make sense

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    I hate douchebags wandering around the airport yelling into their bluetooth headsets bitching about their lives. Ugh. They should go jump off a bridge and put themselves out of their misery.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tresmo View post
    I hate douchebags wandering around the airport yelling into their bluetooth headsets bitching about their lives. Ugh. They should go jump off a bridge and put themselves out of their misery.
    that's what this site is for:

http://www.overheardeverywhere.com/

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    If this is about me, we actually have met. Toronto Laefest w/ Tranplanner, JordanB, TheStip, we went to I think it was called C'est What. This was probably back in 2005.
    Not about you, I do remember meeting you and thought that was you.

I have received a two dozen or so requests lately from people I have no clue who they are, school,work and other things and just thought I'd ask for one potential source to not unnecessarily fill up my inbox.

Now if I plan on coming to your town, or you plan on coming to mine, PM here and we'll see about meeting up in person. Makes it easier to categorize people and understand why they are "friends". Plus I am sure you don't really want me daily what I am doing updates.

Rereading it, it is a bit harsh sorry to everyone. sometimes things you write sound reasonable, but come off wrong.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Do they get a notice when you dump 'em?

I'm in the same boat. And since I capriciously "friended" a couple of folks with, er, different lifestyle choices, I now get all sorts of updates containing F-bombs.

Soandso has joined the group !@#$%^&*(@#$%^&*@#$%^&*(.
    I would rather not know about all that, thanks.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    What is wrong with this ?

HEADLINES:

More than 300 bras stolen from local store
    http://www.courierpress.com/news/200...n-local-store/

Man tells cops: Burglars took my weed, too
    http://www.courierpress.com/news/200...k-my-weed-too/

Police identify four suspects in theft of five snakes from three ... pet stores
    http://www.courierpress.com/news/200...es-identified/

Are these people crazy or stupid and where did they come from ?
    Have fun reading the comments too.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I'm so embarrassed by my lame post but I do believe I may have killed that thread

Quote Originally posted by donk View post
    Not about you, I do remember meeting you and thought that was you.

I have received a two dozen or so requests lately from people I have no clue who they are, school,work and other things and just thought I'd ask for one potential source to not unnecessarily fill up my inbox.

Now if I plan on coming to your town, or you plan on coming to mine, PM here and we'll see about meeting up in person. Makes it easier to categorize people and understand why they are "friends". Plus I am sure you don't really want me daily what I am doing updates.

Rereading it, it is a bit harsh sorry to everyone. sometimes things you write sound reasonable, but come off wrong.

No problem donk. There is a certain logic to what you said.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008

The Year of the Dog was in 2006... except at Bear's house!

(Beary late than never?)

Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    I am off to kiss my beautiful wife.

PS - She also told me I have to kiss Molly (our Golden Retriever). Anybody know if 2009 is the "year of the dog"? It apparently is in my house.

Bear Puckering
    It's still The Year of the Rat--what you'd call a sort of leftover from 2008!

This January 26, the day of the Chinese New Year, it will become The Year of the Ox. It will stay that way until February 13, 2010.

Advance notice:
    On Valentines Day of 2010, The Year of the Tiger begins!!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I got an Apple iPhone on Monday... this is going to revolutionize the way I waste time!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2005
    a friend and i are talking about a short vacation to the caribbean or central america. at first i was all in to the idea, now it is starting to sink in that i would have to be seen in a bathing suit.

pasty white + bathing suit =
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    What is wrong with this ?

HEADLINES:

More than 300 bras stolen from local store
    http://www.courierpress.com/news/200...n-local-store/
    The comments people wrote back with are hi-larious!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    The comments people wrote back with are hi-larious!
    A very uplifting story, I must say!

Mike

Registered
    Nov 2002
    A lesson learned:

Make sure your toddler goes to bed with her favorite doll, or else she's gonna wake your @$$ up at some ungodly hour when she discovers it's missing.

Now, where's the !@#$! coffee?
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries

Deer Me, It was funny!

This morning just outside my office window I watched three deer bounce across the snow-covered lawn, nearly bowling over the city attorney as he was walking to work, then the deer crossed the street, headed downtown.

They encountered a couple walking a lab, so the deer turned around and bounced back the way they came, almost bowling over the city attorney once again. All the while cars were stopping to give the deer safe passage.

Deer downtown. Good to live in Montana.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Is it just me, or is anyone else have trouble getting back into the swing of things this week? It seems like I haven't done a full 5 day week since Thanksgiving.

Great story Otter, it is sights like that which make me miss living in a rural area.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Trying to find an old "alley vacation" ordinance this morning, I came across two original ordinances for the town from 1921.
    Ordinance (No.14)
    One outlined driving and traffic rules. Basics regarding "operating vehicles and horseless carriages.
    Snippets:
    "All automobiles and horseless carriages that require cranking (to start) shall remain with brakes set until motor is started."
    "Whenever the driver of a motor vehicle approaches a frightened horse, he shall slow his speed, and, if necessary, stop his vehicle and engine."
    This has direction on parking and hitching your horse too. Be careful with any acetylene lamps and make sure your horseless carriage has a bell (but not one that emits an objectionable noise.
    Ordinance (No.13)
    One must get a permit to operate a billiard, bagatelle(?), pool table; or bowling alley and shooting gallery.
    Fees: $12.50 per table and then $.50 per year.
    Ordinance (No.12)
    No person shall carry on the business of hawker, peddler, or huckster within the Town without license. You'll be fined $5 if you don't.

Thought the ordinances and language was neat.

Don't let your horse, ass, or bull run around either. (Wonder if that is true, sometimes a couple bulls get loose from the farm next to my office...)
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2007
    still trying to figure out how to join "teh clubbe" with as little slacking as possible. I find it quite hard, but quite easy when you don't have much work.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by rcgplanner View post
    Is it just me, or is anyone else have trouble getting back into the swing of things this week? It seems like I haven't done a full 5 day week since Thanksgiving.
    What are these 5 day weeks of which you speak?
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    Ordinance (No.13)
    One must get a permit to operate a billiard, bagatelle(?), pool table; or bowling alley and shooting gallery.
    I looked up bagatelle. Here is the definition (I am not making this up):
    "any of various games involving the rolling of balls into scoring areas."

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    No wonder they say that settlers in Eastern Colorado have gone mad from the incessant wind.

I am about to myself...

@ Otis. Neat, thanks Friend!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    Ordinance (No.12)
    No person shall carry on the business of hawker, peddler, or huckster within the Town without license. You'll be fined $5 if you don't.
    Those are words you don't hear very often anymore! OK, the term huckster probably fell out of favor with the Edsel , and peddler makes me think of a shoemaker for some reason (maybe I'm thinking of cobbler), but I actually worked as a hawker in my youth, selling Dr. Pepper at the Dr. Pepper-sponsored Central Park music series in NYC in 1979.

The job consisted of carrying around heavy bags of canned soda to sell... a really appropriate occupation for a 5'2" skinny-armed teenager. I did it for the love of music, though, as I was able to see all of the concerts for free.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Need a discussion board site

I've taken it upon myself to "lead the charge" to get us a local "first night" type of event. Want to promote this via a googleable site where folks can add comments and ideas, and perhaps view/upload files.

Google groups (the former usenet): no
    Yahoo groups: some drawbacks
    Facebook: a little too exclusive (some of my principals are not FB types)

I was considering one of those "blogspot" sites, since they allow comments. However, some folks resist reading blogs. (I am in that category.)

Recommendations, please. TYVM

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 131 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 08 Sep 2012, 5:31 PM
  2. Replies: 1325
    Last post: 11 Mar 2009, 2:39 PM
  3. Replies: 540
    Last post: 29 Jan 2009, 11:01 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 28 May 2004, 12:00 AM