Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: I love cartography

I love cartography

I'm about to graduate next spring with a major in architecture and a minor in urban planning. I've been thinking about applying to grad schools for urban planning (architecture is too.. head in the clouds for my tastes ).

But I loooove maps, and I've loved them all my life. I'm learning GIS now and it's awesome, and I'd say I want to do that but I don't think I want to do programming and I don't know how well I'd fare with database stuff. But I love cartography, and map design, and map readability, and I wrote a paper about subway maps just for fun, but I have no idea where I need to go to pursue this further.

Any advice from the cartographers out there?

I'll just add that right now my top program choice is the Masters of Urban Spatial Analytics at UPenn, which I might combine with a Masters in City Planning. But right now I haven't heard of any program remotely like the MUSA one. Should I really just be studying geography or graphic design instead?

Registered
    Feb 2009
    The geography dept. at U. Wisconsin - Madison offers an MS in cartography and GIS.
    Process and dismissal. Shelter and location. Everybody wants somewhere.

Quote Originally posted by thebiggestdreamer View post
    I'm about to graduate next spring with a major in architecture and a minor in urban planning. I've been thinking about applying to grad schools for urban planning (architecture is too.. head in the clouds for my tastes ).

But I loooove maps, and I've loved them all my life. I'm learning GIS now and it's awesome, and I'd say I want to do that but I don't think I want to do programming and I don't know how well I'd fare with database stuff. But I love cartography, and map design, and map readability, and I wrote a paper about subway maps just for fun, but I have no idea where I need to go to pursue this further.

Any advice from the cartographers out there?

I've had the same thoughts. I've had a weird fascination with maps and geography since I was a kid too, and certainly given the generally higher salaries of GIS professionals versus planners, I've given it a thought. I guess what's kept me from going that route (at least thus far) has been -

1) I don't want to just sit at a computer desk and play with maps all day, even though it actually does sound like fun. I do want some interpersonal interaction. I'm not an introverted person, and I do want to feel like I'm making a difference in people's lives.

2) I've only taken one class in GIS, in addition to GIS usage at both of my planning internships. But as much as I love geography/cartography, i'm REALLY not a computer whiz and I've had to learn a lot about computers in order to "get" GIS. I busted my butt and managed to eke out a "B" in my Intro to GIS class. But still, I do want to someday earn a GIS certificate in addition to my planning degree(s).

Quote Originally posted by kalimotxo View post
    The geography dept. at U. Wisconsin - Madison offers an MS in cartography and GIS.

Is that a very selective program? That's the other reservation I have about getting a master's in something other than planning. I don't know how selective other graduate programs are, nor do I know much about easy it is to secure funding.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 31
    Last post: 18 Jun 2013, 11:51 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 20 Feb 2013, 3:39 PM
  3. For the love of a dog
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 05 Feb 2013, 12:34 AM
  4. I love you because?
    Friday Afternoon Club