Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Germaphobes

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by lienna28 View post
    Hi everyone!

I'm a college student, and am working on designing a retail store for one of my classes. It's called SANItopia, and it's a store created specifically for people with germaphobia, or those who just like to keep things clean, such as myself. I was working on coming up with ideas and I thought, why not ask the people who we're making this store for what they'd like to see in it?

We have no budget limit for this project, so anything goes. If you, as a germaphobe or someone with germaphobic tendencies, could have store made for you, what would you want to see in it?
    Giant hamster balls. You know, like the boy in the bubble? Roll around the store and pick stuff off the shelves...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    Giant hamster balls. You know, like the boy in the bubble? Roll around the store and pick stuff off the shelves...
    Congrats, you just beat out ursus for the post of the day award
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Congrats, you just beat out ursus for the post of the day award
    Giant Hamster Balls.....I never stood a chance...
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    A few days ago, ZG mentioned that I'm the most hygienic person she's ever met. I don't know if that makes me a germaphobe or not. I probably lean toward the former.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    2012 update. My views on germs continue to evolve as I watch Junior grow. Make no mistake children are only slightly higher on the infectious disease chain than plague-infested rats, but the remarkable thing I have discovered is how much disease kids don't get. Case in point, about a week ago Junior dropped a celery stick in the kitchen sink (those in the know realize toilets are generally cleaner than kitchen sinks) picked it out and ate it before I could stop him. He never got so much as a tummy ache out of the deal
    They are little cesspools of bacteria and viruses. They have the uncanny ability to make you sick without getting sick themselves, plus pass along whatever is ailing them too. So far so good with Arabella at 11 months. She's had one minor cold that lasted 4 days in October and that's all. I had a cold last week that I caught from her godmother but she is unaffected by it. I think it helps that she is not in daycare.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I think there's got to be a point where things are so clean that it makes you more vulnerable to getting sick. That's part of the reason I'm pretty indifferent to hand sanitizers and disinfectant sprays.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    I think there's got to be a point where things are so clean that it makes you more vulnerable to getting sick. That's part of the reason I'm pretty indifferent to hand sanitizers and disinfectant sprays.
    That's how we are, even with our daughters. Just washing your hands with soap and water and keeping them away from your face will do wonders in keeping germs away.

I will bust out the can of Lysol when the stomach flu hits the house, but that's usually the only time.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I am not a germaphobe (I don't think.... hmmm...) but (there is always a but when people are in denial, isn't there?) I do try to limit the amount of disgusting bodily fluids I am subjected to by other humanoids. Translate that to: "do not sneeze or cough on me, cover your mouth you filthy animal, and wash your hands".

Other than that, washing fruits/vegetables is a good idea. Keeping a clean house is a good idea.

Rather than hand sanitizers or disinfectant sprays that are over-the-counter, MW and I make our own hippy concoctions consisting of water with tea tree oil/lemon juice/aloe/lavender for the home or garlic/lemon juice for the body.

I have been particularly cautious since SeaMonkey was born though. He already cries so frickin' much that the thought of him getting sick and crying more makes me want to bash my head into the nearest hard surface.
    Occupy Your Brain!

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2