• South Carolina

2 18.18%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 50 State throw-down #1 North Carolina v. South Carolina

Registered
    Apr 2003

50 State throw-down #1 North Carolina v. South Carolina

I have heard people mention "The Carolinas" from time to time as if they are one state. But they are not, despite the name of the football team in Charlotte.

North Carolina became a state in 1789, has a median household income of $54,082 and a population of 9,943,964. On the southern side, South Carolina has a population of 4,832,482, a household median income of $44,625, and became a state on May 23, 1788.

Which state is better and why? What makes them different?
    "The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism." - George Washington

Registered
    Jun 2009
    As someone who's spent some time in both, they both have their charms and their black spots. NC is more cosmopolitan of the two. More people, more transplants (especially in the Research Triangle area), bigger cities, etc. South Carolina is what I'd call more "Old South". In some places it's like the Civil War never happened. Some beautiful places (LOVE old Charleston), and definitely some subtle and not-so-subtle racism abound (Maurice's BBQ?). You can see more poverty in SC, even in the cities. North Carolina is home to more prestigious institution of higher learning (Duke, UNC Chapel Hill, Wake Forest, NC State) and attracts more of the best and brightest. It's also got Asheville and the Blue Ridge Mountains, as well as the coolest road I've ever driven on (Tail of the Dragon).

Point: North Carolina
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I don't think there's a way I could put it more succinctly than Rygor did. Having lived on the border of North and South Carolina for a few years, I have to agree with everything said.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I have a feeling everyone is going to give NC the points so I'll try to throw something SCs way.

Great history, yes they were both part of the civil war, but I like the history in Charleston.
    Hell, they started the civil war out at Fort Sumter. (not always sure that's a good thing)
    Folly Island, great for beer and oysters.
    Myrtle Beach, great for spring break, bikes, drunk people, and whatever. Not to mention some decent golf.
    Shrimping! Damn fine shrimp out there. I'm sure NC has good shrimp too, but I'm giving the point to SC.
    Their college team is the Cocks. You just have to have fun with a team like that.
    Bigger gators! That's got to be worth something.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Having lived in NC all my life, I would have to say I am partial to NC.

I don't know if it's a strength but SC is a strong state's right state. Succeeding from the union first, denouncing the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, denouncing Obama-care, and I am sure there are more. SC has mustard based bbq sauce; however, I am a fan of both NC's Vinegar and Tomato based sauces. We had Jesse Helms and SC had Strom Thurmond... I am not sure which was better or worse there.

I would say NC but SC has this....

Registered
    Aug 2007
    I grew up in the upstate of SC (Greenville area) and got my undergrad at Winthrop University in Rock Hill, SC (the SC/NC border). I am partial to NC and actually like Charlotte. To me, SC is like NC only 20 years behind. NC has more transplants from other states (especially Ohio, NY, and PA), larger cities, and a slightly more middle of the road political leaning (Obama won the state in 2008 and lost by only 2% in 2012).

SC on the other hand still feels a lot like the old south and is still very much a right leaning state. That being said SC is making some big moves. SC is home to BMW's American manufacturing which has spurred a lot of growth in the upstate. Boeing relocated a large part of their operation from Seattle to Charleston. Charleston is a huge food city and Greenville is working very hard to become a more cosmopolitan city and has received a lot of national media attention as the next "it" place.

I would best sum up that NC feels more like the mid-Atlantic while SC feels more like the deep south.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    The Smoky Mts and the Nantahalla River -- North Carolina gets my vote.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I think Mskies needs to make a bracket of all the states then once a week give us the challenge. At the end of the year we'll know Cyburbia's favorite state.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    I think Mskies needs to make a bracket of all the states then once a week give us the challenge. At the end of the year we'll know Cyburbia's favorite state.
    How did you know that I was going to do that. (hence, the number #1). I figured I would start with the North/South states. All states that I will be listed will share a border. Then for the semifinals, it will be broken into regions. Finally, sometime around the end of the summer, there will be a final throw-down. I would have loved to set up a normal bracket, but I don't think that is possible on this forum board.

It will be 2 a week though... there are 50 of these states and I don't want to take all year.
    "The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism." - George Washington

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Which state is better and why?
    Seriously, dude? This will get ugly at some point...

I like Charleston. I like Asheville. Both have coastlines. [Shrugs and walks away]
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    How did you know that I was going to do that. (hence, the number #1). I figured I would start with the North/South states. All states that I will be listed will share a border. Then for the semifinals, it will be broken into regions. Finally, sometime around the end of the summer, there will be a final throw-down. I would have loved to set up a normal bracket, but I don't think that is possible on this forum board.

It will be 2 a week though... there are 50 of these states and I don't want to take all year.
    Draw it up and scan it in. Or maybe just a partial photo. Make it fun and weird like tournament brackets. The regions never seem to accurately reflect the true region.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I meant to include a smiley at the end of that first line - apparently I didn't actually do that...

Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Seriously, dude? This will get ugly at some point...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Both have beaches, national recreational trails, rails-to-trails, National Park Service - National Battlefields of the Revolutionary War.

North Carolina - Appalachian State that beat Michigan in football that time in the Big House.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    From a planning perspective, South Carolina has the most mobile homes per capita. It also has some of the strictest annexation laws in the country. Much of the population actually lives in unincorporated areas that have little regulation.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    From a planning perspective, South Carolina has the most mobile homes per capita. It also has some of the strictest annexation laws in the country. Much of the population actually lives in unincorporated areas that have little regulation.
    Hence why the largest cities in the state have a population of around 100,000. Greenville only has a population of 61,000, yet the urban area is over 400k.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I was born in South Carolina.. the south will rise again!!!
    No Signature Required

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Having lived in both states for more than 2 years each I can easily say NC beats SC hands down in so many ways. NC just felt more progressive and accepting than SC. SC does have the whole football thing going for them. The rural poverty in SC is hands down some of the worst I've seen anywhere in the country as well.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Poll closed already?
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Poll closed already?
    I don't remember putting a date to close the poll... I might have but I didn't think I did.

Like others have said, NC seems to be more cosmopolitan. Plus, I like their history more. Finally, it's closer to Virginia, a state I really like.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by rcgplanner View post
    I grew up in the upstate of SC (Greenville area) and got my undergrad at Winthrop University in Rock Hill, SC (the SC/NC border). I am partial to NC and actually like Charlotte. To me, SC is like NC only 20 years behind. NC has more transplants from other states (especially Ohio, NY, and PA), larger cities, and a slightly more middle of the road political leaning (Obama won the state in 2008 and lost by only 2% in 2012).

SC on the other hand still feels a lot like the old south and is still very much a right leaning state. That being said SC is making some big moves. SC is home to BMW's American manufacturing which has spurred a lot of growth in the upstate. Boeing relocated a large part of their operation from Seattle to Charleston. Charleston is a huge food city and Greenville is working very hard to become a more cosmopolitan city and has received a lot of national media attention as the next "it" place.

I would best sum up that NC feels more like the mid-Atlantic while SC feels more like the deep south.
    Did a 4 year run in Greenville, SC having relocated there from Portland, OR. Totally agree with you on being 20 years behind, it was like living in a bit of a time warp. I do think the larger cities are trying hard to shed the "old south" persona and there has been a lot of economic investment activity in the past 15 years. I still liked NC better.

FWIW...I finished my bachelors degree at Lander University in Greenwood. You are probably one of the few that have heard of it.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    NC over SC based on my limited experience with just NC

The only part of NC I've visited was the Smoky Mtns portion and attended a wedding in Hot Springs, NC, which was very cool and saw my first (also for my wife and three sons) Civil War battle re-enactment in Hot Springs.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Growing up on the East Coast, I always thought I might end up in NC, I always enjoyed my visits there and liked the proximity of the beach to the mountains. Other than driving through SC to get to Florida, I've only visited the Edisto Island area and my clearest memory was not being able to sleep because of the humidity so we skinny dipped and then later ran into the water again as soon as it was light out. It was many, many years ago obviously. So point to NC.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I was born in SC.. circle gets the square.
    No Signature Required

Registered
    Jul 2007
    My new job has kept me away from here, but let me add to the NC-pile on.

First off, the easiest way to find an outsider is to hear someone refer to NC and SC as the "carolinas" The two states are very different, but NC is better...more progressive, better mountains and coastlines...better cities, better beer, better schools....I could go on and on. I'd easily go back to NC, never, never SC.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 10 Sep 2012, 3:04 AM
  2. hello from south carolina
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 06 Oct 2009, 6:35 PM
  3. Hello from South Carolina
    Introduce Yourself