Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Perceptions of Crime

Registered
    Jan 2005

Perceptions of Crime

In buying our house, my membership on Nextdoor.com moved from one neighborhood to another. According to a look through crime statistics on some of the real estate web sites, our new area has slightly less crime than the old one. The participation in Nextdoor is much higher (less than 10% of households in the old neighborhood versus over 1/3 in the new one). Looking through the posts on Nextdoor, it would seem that our new neighborhood is crime-ridden compared to the old one, contradicting the statistics for the two areas.

I conclude that people are talking about crime more, even though crime is the same or less compared to our old neighborhood.

I'm trying to decide if this is good or bad. Does more people talking about crime more openly help reduce it? Or is it really just a case of gossiping busybodies?

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Based on nothing I go with the busy bodies. I hear about crime in my town constantly, but going by stats it's a fairly low crime town. More important to me is the type of crime. If it's high property crime that just says lock your car doors and don't leave stuff out to get stolen. If it's violent crime you've got some problems.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Doohickie View post
    I'm trying to decide if this is good or bad. Does more people talking about crime more openly help reduce it? Or is it really just a case of gossiping busybodies?
    Yes.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The thing that was happening in both neighborhoods was gunshots. Or maybe fireworks. I occasionally hear some of that stuff myself when I'm out walking the dogs. I have no idea if it's random stuff unrelated to guns/violence or if it's shoot out at OK Corral. And it's almost always "off in the distance." I suppose if it were actual gun violence you'd hear police sirens in the immediate aftermath (which I never do), but the busybodies fill in a good narrative of what they think is going on.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I think the other thing is that I'm paying more attention to this stuff personally. Whatever crime there was in the old neighborhood was part of the background noise. I understood it. When people said there was some kind of violent crime, I'd look at the address and be able to recognize that it's not very close to where I live. In the new place I don't have that same feel for the different streets yet, so things stick out over the background noise more perhaps.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 17
    Last post: 06 May 2016, 1:50 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 14 Sep 2015, 2:27 PM
  3. Perceptions of environmentalists
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 31 Jul 2008, 12:57 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last post: 15 Mar 2006, 12:54 PM