Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How Long Do You Keep Your Magazines?

Registered
    Aug 2007

How Long Do You Keep Your Magazines?

So I am the process of packing my apartment for a move at the end of the month. I was packing a small bookshelf today when I came across a shelf a magazines, mostly 3 plus years of Planning Magazine and other misc. titles mostly covered in a small layer of dust. I should have went through the magazines, but instead packed them away, telling myself I will deal with them after my move.

I have a hard time getting rid of magazines, saying to myself I will reference them some day. It is even worse my Planning magazines eventhough I usually read them once, then they go on the bookshelf. The last time I referred to a Planning article was when I was in school. So fellow Cyburbs how long do you hold on to your magazines? Any difference between your personal and work-related magazines? Any good ideas on how to keep your magazines organized? Thanks!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    It kind of depends, if its a journal type thing usually I hang on to them longer especially if they contain something of particular interest. I have pretty limited space and only allow myself one basket to hold magazines so once it gets full I go through it. Most monthly magazines though I toss after reading.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This Bear used to be a hoarder of magazines. Then I started to take....at least at a "minor" level.....some steps to simplify my life. With my huge anti-Cyburbian barn-style 2-story garage I have plenty of room for thousands of magazines. But taking a realistic approach.......not gonna access hardly any of those stacks.

I was saving Model Railroad and Railroad Model Crafstman, for the track plans and the articles that tripped my switch. I was saving old copies of the American Association for Nude Recreation mags. Articles of interest I had book-marked in Reason and Lake Superior, creating stacks of those magazines.

Over the past few weeks I have made some trips to the recycling center.....and all of those old zines have gone away.

Now when I read a magazine, it goes away as soon as I am finished.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The only magazine I get is Planning and I got rid of most back issues of that when I moved. I do have a magazine rack full of vintage magazines but those were all purchased vintage, most are older than me. At my parents house I left behind a rather large collection of Boys Life, 10+ years from my subscription plus vintage ones that I would buy at flea markets.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    With the exception of Planning (which I'm holding on to to study for AICP) most magazines stick around 6 mos. or less. Then the articles I want to keep get ripped out and stuck in a drawer and the rest of the mag. gets recycled.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    I hang onto issues in which I am published. (An 80's edition of Planning, purple cover with a budget axe in black & white; all the issues during my editorial tenure at a bicyclist assn, likewise all the issues of a bicycle planning journal.) I also save (forever) hard-copy clips that include my sterling words of wit.

Subscriptions: L.A.W/B.'s rag American Bicyclist (a 15-minute read) and the free-to-members subscription to Bicycling (I don't even open it): I've taken to running an ad on Craigslist to get rid of them. Used to take them to the YMCA magazine rack, but no one ever looked at them there. (The issues did not move from the place where I'd put them.)

AARP journal and mag: Y's rack.

An NPR membership got me Newsweek. I'd slowly make my way through them, then take to the Y.

Used to subscribe to BUST, saved every issue for the several years. Finallly put an ad on CL and they went away. My beneficiary sent me a mesage thanking me profusely, and mentioned "your beautiful front porch" since I'd left them in a tote on my park bench. Amusingly, every time I ran the ad, someone flagged it. Sheesh.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I used to hoard back copies of Planning, but with cross-country moves at 60 cents a pound, it became an expensive proposition for reading material I almost never refer to after reading the first time. The last time I went through back issues of Planning was when I studied for AICP certification; I read all of them cover to cover. Now that back issues of Planning are appearing online, I don't see a reason to keep them for more than a couple of months. (The reference library in a planning agency is excepted, of course.) I wish the APA would release a CD with back issues of Planning.

Other magazines (usually titles like Car and Driver, Automobile, Top Gear, Utne Reader and the like): I keep them until they're thoroughly read (about two week), and then they're pitched in the recycling bin.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2002
    How long do I keep my magazines? Too long. I tend to save the magazines to which I subscribe (and Planning isn't among them) for 5-10 years...

I really need a better system.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    I used to hoard back copies of Planning, but with cross-country moves at 60 cents a pound, it became an expensive proposition for reading material I almost never refer to after reading the first time. The last time I went through back issues of Planning was when I studied for AICP certification; I read all of them cover to cover. Now that back issues of Planning are appearing online, I don't see a reason to keep them for more than a couple of months. (The reference library in a planning agency is excepted, of course.) I wish the APA would release a CD with back issues of Planning.

Other magazines (usually titles like Car and Driver, Automobile, Top Gear, Utne Reader and the like): I keep them until they're thoroughly read (about two week), and then they're pitched in the recycling bin.
    Ah another auto mag fan. Yeah, I usually keep my Car and Driver and Road & Track's until thoroughly read (in the bathroom, usually) and then pitch them. Planning magazines likewise now that I already passed my AICP exam. I do have copies of National Geographic from the early 80's onward. It's interesting to look back on those sometimes.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    I do have copies of National Geographic from the early 80's onward. It's interesting to look back on those sometimes.
    I rarely look back at all the magazine issues that we've kept. I keep my Planning mag for two months because the wife likes to look at them. In the process of disposing of National Geographic collection that goes back to the 80's and would go back to the 70's if we hadn't moved and left them behind. My subscription ends next month and I'm not renewing. I've got about 15 years worth of Bass Player and Fine Homebuilding that will stay with us a while longer but are on the endangered publications list in the meantime.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Why throw out old magazines? Miss December 1979 probably looks a lot better in the magazine photos taken back then than she does in person now.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Planning-related ones are in a library here in the department office in those metal thingy's that hold magazines - my magazines at home get traded with my in laws who get magazines I don't get and then I either forward those along to a friend or recycle them

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I toss my Newsweek, Urban Land,Governing and any otehr magazine I have picked up whenever I get around to it. Ussually once a year or so. We do save Cooking Light and Playboy...I have no idea why we save Cooking Light.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    Jun 2009
    For decades, I kept everything. When I moved, I discovered how much I had that I had never again looked at – including the stuff I bookmarked. I redistributed it – some recycled, some donated. Now, the magazines rotate through my reading areas, ending up in the guest room, before being tossed or donated in the next rotation.

The books and wines are ballast enough for days of light gravity, and the potential for my own mini-black hole is significantly reduced.

Planning and Reason I will drop by the old office, if either contains something I think might be of use -- or irksome.

But I did keep the almost forty year collection of Analog.

Registered
    Aug 2008
    My wife works at a regional hospital, where magazines get a good second go-round. Ours are few, including only, New Yorker, Natl Geographic, Nutrition Action Healthletter (Center for Science in the Public Interest ((which gave us ingredients labels on food packages))), and the Sun, out of Chapel Hill (which mag has run for 35+ yrs without ever selling any ads).

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Like others have said - recycled after reading.
    Also as mentioned have cut out select articles - need to declutter/purge/recycle those.
    Have saved a few select issues.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Hmm, I guess I will hold on to Planning for another year or so until I sit for the AICP exam (excellent study idea BTW, thank you to all who suggested it). I had a subscription to Mental Floss that has some intersting articles that I will prob. donate to the library. I did purge all of my old Macworld magazines from a few years ago last night, even if it was kinda neat looking at old technology.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by rcgplanner View post
    Hmm, I guess I will hold on to Planning for another year or so until I sit for the AICP exam (excellent study idea BTW, thank you to all who suggested it). I had a subscription to Mental Floss that has some intersting articles that I will prob. donate to the library. I did purge all of my old Macworld magazines from a few years ago last night, even if it was kinda neat looking at old technology.
    I didn't really find the Planning mags that useful for studying for the AICP exam, but there might be some stuff in there worth reading, anyway.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I, currently, only receive two magazines, Chicago (local interest about all things Chicagoland) and Dwell. Unless there is something really cool in a given issue, I will have read all the magazine by the time the new issue arrives. Then I take the previous issue to the lunch room at work and let them have a second life there.

When I was younger, I used to horde all my coin collector magazines, at one point I had about 3-4 years worth of the two most popular ones. Also, in college, I started a subscription to Automobile (the best car mag) and also purchased every monthly issue for at least two of the main British car mags (the new car mag and the best car collector mag - the names escape me at the moment). I eventually came to the realization that all these old magazines were consuming too much space, were never going to be referenced, and a major psychological burden. When I was to move to Chicago with my bride-to-be, I ditched all of it of my own accord.

The current method is the best - read and dispose.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 30
    Last post: 10 Feb 2014, 1:34 PM
  2. Women’s Magazines
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 28 Jun 2010, 7:41 PM
  3. Your magazines
    Friday Afternoon Club