Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone apply for Ventura assistant/associate planner job?

Registered
    Oct 2009

Anyone apply for Ventura assistant/associate planner job?

Just wondering what everyone else's experience was who applied for this position. I thought that I was not only well qualified for the position, but that my experiences were actually very well suited for the position. However, I did not even make the eligibility list for departmental review, and could only get a generic explanation from HR.

Just wondering if anyone else on here had any success in getting an interview for this position, and what you think your strong points were in making it to the next step. Any insight or advice would greatly be appreciated...

Registered
    Aug 2009
    Yes. I made it to the generic list...but I haven't heard anything since. I have over 3yrs experience...most recently as a Planner II.

Registered
    Aug 2009
    Did you have any luck with Burbank or West Hollywood?

Registered
    Oct 2009
    I also applied for the Burbank position and didn't make it past HR. I recently completed a masters in planning and have about a year of experience with a consulting firm, in addition to some redevelopment experience. I know my experience isn't extensive, but I thought I could at least get an interview for an "assistant planner" position.

I've sent my application for the West Hollywood position too... but that position seems to require even more experience than the one's i've already tried.
    Did you apply to Burbank?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Scored on eligibility lists for all 3 Ventura positions. Burbank had over 200 applicants for the second round mail out, so give them another week or so. West Hollywood will not review applications until the close of the application period (this thursday).

I spoke with a planner at length regarding the position and simply put they are seeking someone with form based code/graphic experience to lead as the senior planner for advanced planning and someone in the mid-level range for do a combo of advance planning/current planning. They were preferring people whom have done work in more advanced planning than current planning with a "how to" of management of large scale design projects to do them in-house rather than farming out to a consultant. If you didn't meet that criteria, than more than likely you were not placed on the eligibility list. I tailored my resume, did some good background research on other "topics" that a hot button issues for Ventura right now that i dug up that are accessible to the public and sent out a pretty kick-ass resume with my design and pm work. I hope to hear from them soon. Hopefully the Nick approach to job hunting pays off.

Quote Originally posted by socaldp View post
    I recently completed a masters in planning and have about a year of experience with a consulting firm, in addition to some redevelopment experience. I know my experience isn't extensive, but I thought I could at least get an interview for an "assistant planner" position.
    Again, do your homework for jobs is crucial right now. Some planning departments have some basic info, but you have to move past the service to really find what is ahead and what they may be seeking for as a candidate and include those items as a part of a resume/cover letter. Burbank's FY 09-10 report and goals clearly stated the following:

1) what an assistant planner would be working on
    2) the type of future projects they will be doing as an agency
    3) On-going assistance needs
    4) Planning Division's goals and how to meet those.

Just because you have a master's and a year of working experience doesn't mean jack if you don't even know what they are looking for. Most Agencies are like open books here in this state, you just got to know where to dig. If you don't know where to dig, than how can you be a planner . Plus it doesn't help that people like myself with 6 years experience (no master's though) are applying for assistant planning jobs that are "well beyond" our qualifications because like latrell spreewell said, "i gotta feed my kids".

Good Luck.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 06 Oct 2009 at 8:21 AM. Reason: double reply
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Aug 2009
    I do have a strong graphics background...it's always a plus.

I just got an interview date for Burbank via email today!!!!
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 06 Oct 2009 at 8:21 AM. Reason: double reply

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by kltoomians View post
    I just got an interview date for Burbank via email today!!!!
    Sweet! Congrats. Did you apply online? I sent all my info via snail mail, so hopefully i get some word soon.

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Well, I haven't been on this job board in a while, but I just got my rejection from Burbank and am still waiting for Weho, so there you go.

After filling out the supplemental questionnaire, I was told I met the ‘minimum requirements’ but that they are very fortunate to have had so many applicants so… I don’t get an interview.

I’m a recent MLA grad with a dual BFA in Graphics/Painting. I have 3 years State and Federal advocacy experience, and have been working with a municipality for the past 1.5 years in park planning. I consider my skills exceptional, and have some awards to prove it. But in the entry-level world these days, we now have to compete with those who are out of work and have experience we can’t just make up. THANK GOD I had internships while in school otherwise there would be no way I’d ever catch up. As it stands, I’m probably going to have to be a waitress again while I defer my loans. But thankfully I just have me to feed, so I guess I just suck it up, right?

Like so many others, I did this as a career change. I really wanted to make a difference and feel I'm really good at something for once. But what do you get? I'm trying to keep my head up but I really just need to get the heck out of this State.

Registered
    Aug 2009
    everything was online. I'm sure you'll get one too.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Thanks, Raf, I am now the founder of the "Nick Method" whatever that means.

I am just sitting here on the sidelines in amazement. As a rule, I NEVER openly talk about ANY specific job I am applying for. It's no one's business, and that can always kick you in the butt down the road.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Mar 2008
    I'm on the same frustrating boat as you are socaldp, hang in there

Registered
    Oct 2009
    I also applied for the Burbank position. Filled out the questionairre but didn't make it past that point.
    At least I'm on the eligible list for the Ventura job. Anyone else hear anything from them yet?

Registered
    Aug 2009
    I made it to Assistant/Associate but haven't heard anything further from Ventura...

Just got back from Burbank...they had 700 applicants!! Interviewed 14...and will have a second interview with 3 finalists...ultimately picking only 1!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Guys you need to apply for jobs that are barely advertised, if they are advertised at all. Ventura and Burbank were advertised on multiple websites, so of course there are going to be tons of people applying. Not to mention, who doesn't want to work in sunny CA?
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Aug 2009
    That won't stop me from applying...

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    Guys you need to apply for jobs that are barely advertised, if they are advertised at all. Ventura and Burbank were advertised on multiple websites, so of course there are going to be tons of people applying. Not to mention, who doesn't want to work in sunny CA?
    I hear Fairbanks is lovely this time of year!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    That's good advice. Check out the jobs that are advertised on newspaper web sites, APA chapter sites, municipal league sites, and CNU, but NOT on APA National or Planetizen. There's likely to be less competition.

Also, bookmark the employment pages of communities in the area where you want to work. With Firefox, you can open all of them at the same time. Didn't help with my search for a job in Cleveland, but in an area where municipal planning agencies are more the norm than the exception, it shoulddefinitely help.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2009

Burbank

I got down to the last 5 and I unfortunately didn't get hired...but I get to be on a list for a year...

Registered
    Nov 2008
    I hear Fairbanks is lovely this time of year!
    It is cold, for sure, but I imagine some people would prefer it to Unemployed-for-yearsville where many entry to mid level folks have found themselves stuck.
    You can grow ideas in the garden of your mind.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Anyone hear back from Ventura?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Interviews were held first week of November. If you didn't get called, than you are on an eligibility list.

Registered
    Aug 2009

WeHo

Got an email from West Hollywood...they will let everyone know by January due to the high volume of applicants.

Registered
    Aug 2009

Laguna Beach

FYI: Laguna Beach is hiring a Planning Tech

Registered
    Oct 2009

Burbank

Burbank just had a planning tech position posted. It was only up on their site for 5 days though.

Registered
    Aug 2009
    are you trying for Duarte? I don't think I've been that far east of LA/Pasadena
    "I'm a boomerang, doesn't matter how you throw me
    I turn around and I'm back in the game
    Even better than the old me"

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 08 Jun 2014, 6:45 PM
  2. Assistant planner interview advice
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Feb 2013, 7:13 PM